Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Orioles Interested In Francisco Liriano

Orioles Interested In Francisco Liriano

PostPost #1 by Tucker Blair » July 26th, 2012, 2:18 pm

The Orioles have inquired about Francisco Liriano, Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com reports. Baltimore is looking to acquire a starting pitcher and their chances at a high-end starter such as Zack Greinke aren’t great, so they’re inquiring on other arms.

Jayson Stark reported yesterday that Liriano is "nearly 100 percent" likely to be traded. The Angels, Red Sox, Yankees, Mets, Blue Jays and Braves are believed to have some interest in Liriano, Heyman reported earlier this month. The 28-year-old left-hander has a 5.31 ERA with 9.8 K/9 and 5.0 BB/9 in 100 innings this year. He earns $5.5MM and is eligible for free agency after the season.

The Orioles have also shown interest in Bartolo Colon, as Ken Rosenthal reported last week. The A’s will likely keep Colon, since he may be worth more on their roster than in a trade, Heyman reports.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/07/o ... riano.html

If you are the Orioles, would you pay a little less for Liriano over Greinke or Josh Johnson in hope that he can turn around his season?

I've always liked Liriano, however I am not sure I completely trust him. Nobody can deny the pure talent he has, but can he piece it back together. Depending on what the price would be, I wouldn't be too upset to get him and would prefer it over someone like Vargas or Colon.

What's everyone's thoughts on him?
I'm just lukewarm to the idea, not exactly thrilled.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

Re: Orioles Interested In Francisco Liriano

PostPost #2 by jowend » July 26th, 2012, 2:41 pm

Are you kidding, we have minor leagers as good as him
jowend
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

PostPost #3 by legmason » July 26th, 2012, 5:33 pm

I've always liked liriano too. His ups and downs must be maddening for twins fans to watch but I always thought he had more talent than Santana. I think it would be worth it if we didn't give up much and look at it as a peterson project. These are the kind of lower cost risks that we should looking at given that the o's won't ever drop 144 million on a pitcher like the phillies, sox or Yankees will.

I have no idea what the market is for Liriano but I don't hate the idea outright. All depends on what we give up.
legmason
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 14

PostPost #4 by Tucker Blair » July 26th, 2012, 5:44 pm

jowend wrote:Are you kidding, we have minor leagers as good as him

Like who?

I don't seen anyone who has dominated an entire season in the pros like Liriano has. He's a very flawed player obviously, but the Orioles know that and could be trying to catch more lightning in a bottle like with Hammel and Chen. It really depends on whom they give up in a potential deal. If it's minimal players or a dump from the Twins, I'd be alright with it. It's a risk though.

I think Twins fans, as legmason said, are just lost on what to think on him anymore. Kind of how Orioles fans are with Arrieta and the rest of the young pitchers.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

PostPost #5 by OriolesRedskins28 » July 26th, 2012, 8:53 pm

TuckerBlair89 wrote:is ups and downs must be maddening for twins fans to watch but I always thought he had more talent than Santana. I think it would be worth it if we didn't give up much and look at it as a peterson project. These are the kind of lower cost risks that we should looking

Depends on the price for me. I wouldn't want to give any real talent for him because he is so inconsistent and his walk rate is horrible. He would be a nice piece to have because he provides innings and does have great upside and while he's been bad the past 2 years, his FIP is 4.2 so far this year which isn't all that bad.
OriolesRedskins28
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #6 by ofahn » July 26th, 2012, 9:30 pm

OriolesRedskins28 wrote:Depends on the price for me.

Liriano will be one of at least six veteran SPs that could have a high up side with a bounce back season that will be available this Winter. I'd rather wait until then when he only costs money.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #7 by Matt P » July 27th, 2012, 2:03 am

He had a very good June and a good July until his last start. I don't hate the idea of trading for him but I have no clue how much it would cost. If it cost a minor league reliever type that's one thing but if it cost a top 10-15 prospect I'd pass. They need a LF, 2B, and 3B more than they need a SP.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #8 by birdwatcher55 » July 29th, 2012, 6:54 am

White Sox get him. Anyone for Blanton?? :lol:
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

Return to Baltimore Orioles