Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Alexander Santana Debut in GCL

Alexander Santana Debut in GCL

PostPost #1 by Tucker Blair » July 23rd, 2012, 10:02 pm

A new name popped up in the GCL today. Alexander Santana. http://www.baseball-reference.com/minor ... ntan001ale

He played in the DSL before getting the promotion to the GCL, and pitched 28.0 innings with a 1.93 ERA and 36 K

In his GCL debut today he pitched 4.0 innings with 1 H, 0 R, 8 K, 1 BB allowed.

It's hard to follow the DSL since we generally get zero news or information on them. So it's always neat seeing a guy drop on the radar like this. He's also 20 though, so keep that in mind.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

Re: Alexander Santana Debut in GCL

PostPost #2 by Ampontan » July 24th, 2012, 8:59 am

The official Minor League website carries the DSL box scores:
http://www.milb.com/scoreboard/league.j ... lb&lid=130,
which I've started following for the first time this year.
Ampontan
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #3 by legmason » July 24th, 2012, 9:44 am

Interesting. Looks like he was signed in 2009 and spent last year in the DSL and posted almost identical numbers there in just about 30 innings as he did this year, giving up 6 earned runs and striking out a ton. Could be an interesting story here. Gotta love his strikeout to walk ratio so far, even if it's a small sample size.
legmason
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 14

PostPost #4 by Tucker Blair » July 24th, 2012, 10:34 am

Ampontan wrote:The official Minor League website carries the DSL box scores:
http://www.milb.com/scoreboard/league.j ... lb&lid=130,
which I've started following for the first time this year.

I generally don't look at them because I know nothing of the players and the stats are essentially meaningless down there.
But it's another league, so always fun to follow.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

PostPost #5 by ofahn » July 24th, 2012, 11:05 am

TuckerBlair89 wrote:I generally don't look at them because I know nothing of the players and the stats are essentially meaningless down there.

I've been watching the DSL for a number of years and I've noticed that talent level varies from month to month and year to year. Often you will see better talent (competition) early in their season until some of the better players get promoted to Rookie Ball or Short Season in the states. Other years some of the best Dominican talent signed is advanced enough to come right to the states so the talent level in the DSL is low across the board.

Essentially, what I'm saying is that DSL stats are subjective, at best; and that its primary purpose is as a development league. Veloz hit less than .230 there last year but was hitting better in the GCL until he was suspended.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #6 by j.q. higgins » July 24th, 2012, 11:11 am

so, although santana is older, he appears to have beensigned as an outfielder, so maybe there's a bit of a developmental curve?
j.q. higgins
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 3

PostPost #7 by Tucker Blair » July 24th, 2012, 11:16 am

ofahn wrote:
I've been watching the DSL for a number of years and I've noticed that talent level varies from month to month and year to year. Often you will see better talent (competition) early in their season until some of the better players get promoted to Rookie Ball or Short Season in the states. Other years some of the best Dominican talent signed is advanced enough to come right to the states so the talent level in the DSL is low across the board.

Essentially, what I'm saying is that DSL stats are subjective, at best; and that its primary purpose is as a development league. Veloz hit less than .230 there last year but was hitting better in the GCL until he was suspended.

That's a very good observation, and I think it's about right besides the exceptions (which there always are).

j.q. higgins wrote:so, although santana is older, he appears to have beensigned as an outfielder, so maybe there's a bit of a developmental curve?

Yea it seems like that. Orioles have had a lot of guys being converted to pitcher recently.
I'm sure don knows a little more on Santana.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

PostPost #8 by Ampontan » July 24th, 2012, 11:27 am

TuckerBlair89 wrote:I generally don't look at them because I know nothing of the players and the stats are essentially meaningless down there. But it's another league, so always fun to follow.

Several of the players were signed this past offseason after DD took over, such as Moreno from Brazil and Marrugo from Colombia. The guy with the Italian sounding name is actually from Guatemala. I started following the box scores to keep up with what the new signings did.
Ampontan
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #9 by Tucker Blair » July 24th, 2012, 12:31 pm

Ampontan wrote:
Several of the players were signed this past offseason after DD took over, such as Moreno from Brazil and Marrugo from Colombia. The guy with the Italian sounding name is actually from Guatemala. I started following the box scores to keep up with what the new signings did.

I mean I look at them, but I just don't make any conclusions off them.
But you are right, a lot of new signings there.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

PostPost #10 by DougDE » July 24th, 2012, 6:05 pm

What was Veloz suspended for? Hadn't heard that
DougDE
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #11 by Tucker Blair » July 24th, 2012, 6:10 pm

DougDE wrote:What was Veloz suspended for? Hadn't heard that

Don said they just missed curfew or something. Nothing big of a deal
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

PostPost #12 by j.q. higgins » July 25th, 2012, 8:47 am

yeah, they made a lot of under the radar south and central american signings. aguiar, hernandez and perezossi are all from guat. i don't know of anyone else really putting much energy there, but that just may be my own ignorance.
j.q. higgins
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 3

Return to Minor Leagues