Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

#44 Prospect - Jake Cowan

#44 Prospect - Jake Cowan

PostPost #1 by Jordan Tuwiner » February 13th, 2011, 11:17 am

http://orioles-nation.com/?p=7978

Like many O's 2009 draftees, Cowan went down with an injury. The right hander's season was cut short after just 41 innings due to shoulder problems, which resulted in labrum surgery.

Jake Cowan Video >>

Full top 50 list
44. Jake Cowan
45. Ronnie Welty
46. Kyle Hudson
47. Sebastian Vader
48. Jarret Martin
49. Dudley Leonora
50. Justin Dalles
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

Re: #44 Prospect - Jake Cowan

PostPost #2 by Jordan Tuwiner » February 13th, 2011, 11:26 am

2 GIF images:

Curveball

Fastball
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #3 by Shorebirdfan » February 13th, 2011, 12:03 pm

Listed at 6'3" and only 165, he looked at little bigger last year (maybe 180). I think he still needs to fill out a little more physically. As you mention, very limited last so hard to have a really good read on him. Weakness I saw in that limited time is he has a tendency to keep the ball up too much. I'd like to see him get down and on the corners more, but I like his stuff. I like the similiarity in motion and release on the cirve and fastball above. Seemed hard to read pitches off his hand. Look forward to hearing what his timeframe for return is this season.
Shorebirdfan
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 15

PostPost #4 by Don » February 13th, 2011, 8:18 pm

I would like to see some side shots of him to gain a better perspective on Jake. I figure this was pre-surgery shots because he leads with a high elbow and usually the rear follows a similar path to the lead arm. I would like to see him compared to his plane, but the high elbows are a usual trait of labrum tears.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

Return to Minor Leagues