Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Bobby Bundy May Have Season Ending Surgery

Bobby Bundy May Have Season Ending Surgery

PostPost #1 by ofahn » July 21st, 2012, 4:22 pm

July 21, 2012 5:04 PM by Steve Melewski

Double-A Bowie right-handed pitcher Bobby Bundy is expected to miss the rest of the season and is very likely headed for surgery. An MRI discovered that Bundy has bone spurs in his right elbow.

The older brother of Dylan Bundy, the Orioles' top pitching prospect, Bobby Bundy had given up 15 runs in just 3 2/3 innings in his last two starts for Bowie, on July 3 and 8. He is 2-11 with an ERA of 6.25 on the year over 17 Baysox starts.

In 80 2/3 innings with Bowie, Bundy allowed 98 hits with 35 walks, 64 strikeouts and a .301 batting average against.

The 22-year-old Bundy was drafted by the Orioles in the eighth round in 2008. He went 11-5 with a 2.75 ERA for Single-A Frederick last year and was the Orioles' organization pitcher of the month for both May and July and made the mid-season Carolina League All-Star team. He went 1-3 with a 9.60 ERA in five games late in the year at Bowie.

He was put on the Baysox disabled list July 12, retroactive to July 9.

No final decision has been made as to whether Bundy will have surgery, but it appears that is likely. A final decision should come sometime in the next few days.

I actually see this as good news. His performance this year indicated there was something physically wrong and this is probably the least serious of the possibilities. I was also glad to see that it was not a development mistake.

http://www.masnsports.com/steve_melewsk ... rgery.html
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

Re: Bobby Bundy May Have Season Ending Surgery

PostPost #2 by Don » July 21st, 2012, 5:14 pm

I have known about this over a month now, and yes it does tie to development to a fair extent, but these problems are some of the largest in nature and not just baseball pitchers.

The good news is that this usually is symptomatic of command ability to release and follow through down the line. It leaves off speed a bit flatter and leaves fastball out/over the plate. You lose all feel with these types of issues. I have no doubt in my mind that he will comeback even better, might be the best his arm has felt in a very long time.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #3 by Tucker Blair » July 22nd, 2012, 1:16 am

Bobby is a good guy and he has talent. I have no doubt he's going to bounce back. He's probably one of my favorite pitchers to watch. Hopefully he can get healthy and rolling again sooner rather than later.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 43

PostPost #4 by osforlife » July 22nd, 2012, 10:37 am

Bobby was probably the pitcher I wanted to see succeed most after his little brother. He wasn't pitching HORRIBLY before those two starts on July 3rd and 8th. Put him at Bowie for the start of next year?
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 58

PostPost #5 by Shorebirdfan » July 22nd, 2012, 8:24 pm

osforlife wrote:Bobby was probably the pitcher I wanted to see succeed most after his little brother. He wasn't pitching HORRIBLY before those two starts on July 3rd and 8th. Put him at Bowie for the start of next year?

Depending on how the rehab goes following surgery, that is where I would start him. He and Dylan could be 1,2 in the rotation next season. (Dylan 1, Bobby 2)
Shorebirdfan
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 15

PostPost #6 by ofahn » July 22nd, 2012, 8:29 pm

Shorebirdfan wrote:
Depending on how the rehab goes following surgery, that is where I would start him. He and Dylan could be 1,2 in the rotation next season. (Dylan 1, Bobby 2)

With Michael Wright #3.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #7 by birdwatcher55 » July 23rd, 2012, 12:15 pm

Shades of Arrieta. Let's hope Bundy has better long term results 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #8 by Jordan Tuwiner » July 23rd, 2012, 1:14 pm

Shorebirdfan wrote:

Seems to be a very likely scenario.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

Return to Minor Leagues