Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Why not Rick Ankiel?

Why not Rick Ankiel?

PostPost #1 by osforlife » July 21st, 2012, 10:00 am

If I am correct, Rick Ankiel has not been claimed by a team. I think he would be an intriguing pick-up for us. He doesn't hit very well, but he has some power and is at least better than Chavez with the bat. He's only played Center Field this year but has played left in his career. And let's be honest, he's got a CANNON from the outfield. I would remove Chavez from the 25-man and 40-man rosters and replace him with Ankiel. Hopefully, I have all these contract stuff down.
User avatar
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 1541
Joined: October 2011
Location: Southern Maryland
Reputation Score: 58

Re: Why not Rick Ankiel?

PostPost #2 by Tucker Blair » July 21st, 2012, 12:26 pm

I would welcome this upgrade if they are looking for an offensive upgrade. I think the glove is not entirely roster-changing so it would solely be an offensive upgrade to me.
User avatar
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor
 
Posts: 1571
Joined: October 2011
Location: Elkridge, MD
Reputation Score: 43

Re: Why not Rick Ankiel?

PostPost #3 by ofahn » July 21st, 2012, 12:40 pm

osforlife wrote:If I am correct, Rick Ankiel has not been claimed by a team. I think he would be an intriguing pick-up for us. He doesn't hit very well, but he has some power and is at least better than Chavez with the bat. He's only played Center Field this year but has played left in his career. And let's be honest, he's got a CANNON from the outfield. I would remove Chavez from the 25-man and 40-man rosters and replace him with Ankiel. Hopefully, I have all these contract stuff down.


I question whether Ankiel would be an OVERALL upgrade over Avery. IMO, THAT'S who should be playing LF since he's a possible solution for the future. Chavez and Ankiel aren't.
User avatar
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 4371
Joined: May 2011
Reputation Score: 85

Re: Why not Rick Ankiel?

PostPost #4 by Tucker Blair » July 21st, 2012, 2:51 pm

ofahn wrote:
I question whether Ankiel would be an OVERALL upgrade over Avery. IMO, THAT'S who should be playing LF since he's a possible solution for the future. Chavez and Ankiel aren't.

At this point I think everyone would agree with you. However, seems like the Orioles do not. Therefore, I'd welcome Ankiel since they will not keep Avery up.
User avatar
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor
 
Posts: 1571
Joined: October 2011
Location: Elkridge, MD
Reputation Score: 43

Re: Why not Rick Ankiel?

PostPost #5 by ofahn » July 21st, 2012, 3:00 pm

TuckerBlair89 wrote:At this point I think everyone would agree with you. However, seems like the Orioles do not. Therefore, I'd welcome Ankiel since they will not keep Avery up.


You're right. I don't like it, but I accept it.
User avatar
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 4371
Joined: May 2011
Reputation Score: 85

Re: Why not Rick Ankiel?

PostPost #6 by osforlife » July 21st, 2012, 3:43 pm

I think everyone would rather have Avery. But if it came down to Chavez or Ankiel, I'd take Ankiel. I think this move would be a defensive uprgrade too. Not sure how his glove is but his arm itself is roster-changing.
User avatar
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 1541
Joined: October 2011
Location: Southern Maryland
Reputation Score: 58

Re: Why not Rick Ankiel?

PostPost #7 by Matt P » July 22nd, 2012, 12:51 am

I'd rather Pearce.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 1717
Joined: October 2011
Location: Pennsylvania
Reputation Score: 37

Re: Why not Rick Ankiel?

PostPost #8 by dan72 » July 22nd, 2012, 6:43 am

Because he's a scrap heap guy that doesn't factor into any long term plans. He doesn't offer an upgrade over Pearce.

Avery should be playing that spot.
dan72
GCL Orioles
 
Posts: 364
Joined: July 2011
Reputation Score: 5

Re: Why not Rick Ankiel?

PostPost #9 by Ampontan » July 22nd, 2012, 10:13 am

Matt P wrote:I'd rather Pearce.


Exactly, and I think that's one reason they DFA'd Pearce right now instead of optioning Tolleson. Both Pearce and Ankiel are on the market at the same time, and I suspect they think teams will go for Ankiel before Pearce, which will enable them to stash the latter at Norfolk. Pearce is primarily a first baseman, and they've already got plenty of those on the ML roster.
Ampontan
DSL Orioles
 
Posts: 180
Joined: February 2012
Reputation Score: 10

Re: Why not Rick Ankiel?

PostPost #10 by osforlife » July 22nd, 2012, 10:45 am

dan72 wrote:Because he's a scrap heap guy that doesn't factor into any long term plans. He doesn't offer an upgrade over Pearce.

Avery should be playing that spot.

But Avery isn't playing in that spot. Every fan probably wishes he was, but he isn't. When I wrote this topic, Pearce and Chavez had 25-man roster spots. Ankiel provides an upgrade over Chavez, and we still get to keep Pearce.
User avatar
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 1541
Joined: October 2011
Location: Southern Maryland
Reputation Score: 58

Re: Why not Rick Ankiel?

PostPost #11 by dan72 » July 22nd, 2012, 12:22 pm

How many wins does aquiring Ankiel add? my guess would be zero, depending on how Buck plays the team. If Buck wants to play Chris Davis in LF than yes Ankiel would be a defensive upgrade. I'd like to see one guy settle into LF, and my choice would be Avery. Thats just my opinion. Avery is playing CF in Norfolk because that is his natural position, with Jones in Baltimore his best fit here will be LF.

I feel like the Orioles have to many cast offs and Ankiel would be one more.
dan72
GCL Orioles
 
Posts: 364
Joined: July 2011
Reputation Score: 5

Re: Why not Rick Ankiel?

PostPost #12 by Matt P » July 22nd, 2012, 1:30 pm

Ampontan wrote:
Exactly, and I think that's one reason they DFA'd Pearce right now instead of optioning Tolleson. Both Pearce and Ankiel are on the market at the same time, and I suspect they think teams will go for Ankiel before Pearce, which will enable them to stash the latter at Norfolk. Pearce is primarily a first baseman, and they've already got plenty of those on the ML roster.


That's an interesting theory and I hope you are right. I just feel like he is a perfect fit off the bench vs lefties.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 1717
Joined: October 2011
Location: Pennsylvania
Reputation Score: 37

Re: Why not Rick Ankiel?

PostPost #13 by osforlife » July 22nd, 2012, 5:27 pm

dan72 wrote:How many wins does aquiring Ankiel add? my guess would be zero, depending on how Buck plays the team. If Buck wants to play Chris Davis in LF than yes Ankiel would be a defensive upgrade. I'd like to see one guy settle into LF, and my choice would be Avery. Thats just my opinion. Avery is playing CF in Norfolk because that is his natural position, with Jones in Baltimore his best fit here will be LF.

I feel like the Orioles have to many cast offs and Ankiel would be one more.

Everybody wishes Avery would be playing LF. Nobody is argueing that. I'am just saying, Ankiel would be an upgrade over Chavez off the bench. Are you saying Ankiel would not provide an upgrade over Chavez?
User avatar
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 1541
Joined: October 2011
Location: Southern Maryland
Reputation Score: 58

Re: Why not Rick Ankiel?

PostPost #14 by Shorebirdfan » July 22nd, 2012, 8:41 pm

osforlife wrote:Everybody wishes Avery would be playing LF. Nobody is argueing that. I'am just saying, Ankiel would be an upgrade over Chavez off the bench. Are you saying Ankiel would not provide an upgrade over Chavez?


I do feel Ankiel would be an upgrade over Chavez. To me it really boils down to can this team hold it together through August and still be in the race when rosters can expand to 40. Ankiel is in no way a long term solution or a guy you want beyond this year, but if you believe they can make a run, I would rather have him than Chavez.

Plus he could replace Chris Davis as our 15th innning arm ou of the pen (I've heard he has some pitching experience). :P
Shorebirdfan
GCL Orioles
 
Posts: 559
Joined: September 2010
Reputation Score: 15

Re: Why not Rick Ankiel?

PostPost #15 by Matt P » July 22nd, 2012, 8:59 pm

Isn't Avery struggling recently in Norfolk?
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 1717
Joined: October 2011
Location: Pennsylvania
Reputation Score: 37


Next

Return to Baltimore Orioles

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests

cron