Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Has Dan Duquette Lost His Mind Or Is He Playing To The Fans?

Has Dan Duquette Lost His Mind Or Is He Playing To The Fans?

PostPost #1 by ofahn » July 18th, 2012, 5:05 pm

Orioles still looking for pitching
4 hours ago by KenRosenthal

The Orioles have lost six of their last seven games and 17 of their last 24.

Their ace, right-hander Jason Hammel, is out 3 to 4 weeks after undergoing arthroscopic surgery on his right knee.

Two of their second basemen, Brian Roberts and Robert Andino, also are on the disabled list.

Some in the organization believe that the team should pull back from the trade market, major-league sources say. General manager Dan Duquette disagrees.

Duquette, speaking emphatically, told FOXSports.com on Wednesday that the team is still a buyer.

“Our future is now,” Duquette said of the Orioles, who are 10 games back in the AL East but only 1/2 game behind in the wild-card race.

Duquette said his No. 1 priority is stabilizing the team’s starting rotation, which ranks 12th in the AL with a 4.79 ERA.

“We’re going to try to do everything we can to get into the playoffs this year,” Duquette said. “I just think it’s important to the fans that they know we’re trying to put a good team on the field and have a good season.”

The Orioles have been linked to a number of starting pitchers, from Brewers right-hander Zack Greinke to Mariners lefty Jason Vargas to Phillies righty Joe Blanton. Duquette, however, said the market is “pretty tight” because of the number of teams in contention.

“The top pitchers are fairly well-defined,” Duquette said, referring to Greinke and Phillies left-hander Cole Hamels. “The teams that have the top pitchers, if they had their druthers, they’d rather sign them for their ballclubs.”

The Phillies are planning to make an offer to Hamels. The Brewers’ strategy with Greinke is less clear.

Is Dan Duquette REALLY planning on mortgaging the future to attempt to this broken down nag of a team to the finish line in the money? IS HE LOOKING AT THE SAME TEAM AS THE REST OF US?????? It can't pitch, it can't hit, and it can't catch the ball. Not the kind of foundation you would to build the house of your dreams on.

It's carrying as dead weight two expensive veterans that no other team wants and another less expensive veteran that
probably couldn't find a job at the minimum salary. We actually have three better players at AAA but the FO, that says it wants to win "now", won't replace the the three guys that are a drag on the team.

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE let this just be a PR spin to get the fans to buy tickets in September.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

Re: Has Dan Duquette Lost His Mind Or Is He Playing To The Fans?

PostPost #2 by coneypc1 » July 18th, 2012, 6:02 pm

The sad part is there is not alot in the minor system that will help the O's in the future--A dozen or so players from 4 teams, Norfolk, Bowie, frederick and Delmarva is not going to help--I say Trade hardy, Bring Up Machado. Its a mess
coneypc1
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

PostPost #3 by OriolesRedskins28 » July 18th, 2012, 6:25 pm

ofahn wrote:Is Dan Duquette REALLY planning on mortgaging the future to attempt to this broken down nag of a team to the finish line in the money? IS HE LOOKING AT THE SAME TEAM AS THE REST OF US?????? It can't pitch, it can't hit, and it can't catch the ball. Not the kind of foundation you would to build the house of your dreams on.

It's carrying as dead weight two expensive veterans that no other team wants and another less expensive veteran that
probably couldn't find a job at the minimum salary. We actually have three better players at AAA but the FO, that says it wants to win "now", won't replace the the three guys that are a drag on the team.

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE let this just be a PR spin to get the fans to buy tickets in September.

I agree with you whole heartedly on this one. I was all for making trades to improve the club but at this point it would seem to be a waste. As you said there is too much dead weight on this roster for the team to succeed. I am still open to a Chase Headley trade because he is under contract through 2014 although I would no longer be willing to include Schoop.
OriolesRedskins28
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #4 by Matt P » July 18th, 2012, 8:47 pm

He's been this way since day 1. Everyone thought he was nuts when he predicted a .500 season, everyone thought he was nuts when he traded Guthrie for Hammel + Lindstrom, and everyone thinks he's nuts again. Not saying I agree with him but he has not lost his mind unless he already lost it before he was hired.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #5 by Ampontan » July 19th, 2012, 8:44 am

Let's not make the false assumption that he's going to "mortgage our future" until he actually does.

(1) Let's see what he gives up first.

(2) I suspect that DD has no doubt that he can figure out how to replenish the system if he trades from it. I suspect he can, too.
Ampontan
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #6 by ofahn » July 19th, 2012, 9:38 am

Ampontan wrote:Let's not make the false assumption that he's going to "mortgage our future" until he actually does.

(1) Let's see what he gives up first.

(2) I suspect that DD has no doubt that he can figure out how to replenish the system if he trades from it. I suspect he can, too.

What concerns me is his "the future is now" statement. That seems to imply that the team is considering spending some future assets for a chance to win this year. This team has so many fundamental flaws that I see that POV as reckless.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #7 by Ampontan » July 19th, 2012, 11:16 pm

The Baltimore Orioles are also a business that hasn't been doing so well lately. A winning record is good for what ails that business.

Many of the people who will renew their interest in the Orioles or develop one for the first time if they have a winning recorrd have no idea who is playing in A ball, much less name the A ball teams. They won't care at all who we trade to do it, as long as it's not Machado and Bundy, whom they have heard of. It's only the message board diehards who get upset when we trade the likes of Tyler Henson and Greg Miclat.

And it's only reckless if he can't replace what he gives up, which means any trade can't be judged in isolation.
Ampontan
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #8 by ofahn » July 20th, 2012, 12:00 am

Ampontan wrote:The Baltimore Orioles are also a business that hasn't been doing so well lately. A winning record is good for what ails that business.

Many of the people who will renew their interest in the Orioles or develop one for the first time if they have a winning recorrd have no idea who is playing in A ball, much less name the A ball teams. They won't care at all who we trade to do it, as long as it's not Machado and Bundy, whom they have heard of. It's only the message board diehards who get upset when we trade the likes of Tyler Henson and Greg Miclat.

And it's only reckless if he can't replace what he gives up, which means any trade can't be judged in isolation.

You understood the subtext of my post and took it one step further. Bump up the rep score.

I understand the need to sell tickets and excite the fan base. What concerns me is that the FO might actually "use next month's rent money to go on vacation", so to speak. Sure, it's fun while you're at Disney World high fiving Mickey and buying t-shirts, but what do you do when you get home and the bank account is empty?

I'm not opposed to trading away young talent. I'm opposed to trading away young talent when the team is NOT filling long term needs. If they were to trade Matusz, Hoes, and a lesser prospect to the Padres for Chase Headley I would see that as filling a position (3B) that we don't have a solution for in our system. Giving away some of the pitifully few real prospects that we have on some rental to try to become a playoff team this year just seems foolhardy to me. IMO the five best prospects we have are DYLAN Bundy, Manny Machado, Jonathon Schoop, Xavier Avery, and L J Hoes. I didn't include Gausman because he just signed and can't be traded. The first four are needed to fill current or pending holes in our line up. Hoes could be considered surplus because of Avery, so he could be traded to fill the need at 3B where we don't have a legitimate prospect within two years of being ML ready.

The first three position players on the prospect list have above average OBP skills and acceptable K rates. If we trade Hoes for Headley that adds another disciplined hitter. By holding on to our young talent we could morph from the free swingers we have now that can't produce runs with any consistency to a more disciplined offense that may not slug anyone into submission but should be a LOT more consistent in scoring. Combine that with an improved defense and mature pitching and you have a legitimate playoff team.

I understand that, I believe a fair share of fans understand that; I just hope the FO understands that.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #9 by birdwatcher55 » July 20th, 2012, 11:24 am

I don't think DD is playing anyone. I'm confident he is going to get more pitching in here at the right price.. 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

Return to Baltimore Orioles