Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Time to move em up?

Time to move em up?

PostPost #1 by Rising O's » July 17th, 2012, 5:34 pm

Trent Mummey. He's been hot since late June and the power in July is promising. More walks than K's. 10 steals. 23 at A+.

John Ruettiger. Yes he just got promoted 200 ABs ago but he's also been on fire since late June showing he's ready. More walks than K's. 13 steals. 22 at A+

Johnathan Schoop. You really have to love the explosion of power the last two months. K rate needs to come down but he's definitely holding his own as a 20 year old at AA.

Manny Machado. Yeah, no chance but my goodness his numbers just scream great approach and potential. 19 at AA, 2013 should bring the monster out.

Tyler Kelly. Moved on up to AA finally at 23. He's been great with the bat at A+ and even held his own at AAA. O's brass not high on him.

Any pitchers to add?
Rising O's
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 10

Re: Time to move em up?

PostPost #2 by ljmillar22 » July 17th, 2012, 6:31 pm

I would like to see Torsten Boss moved up aswell, as for pitchers Juan Guzman moved up to Delmarva would be nice, he is striking out close to a batter an inning down at Aberdeen. And to be honest there arent many pitchers in the organisation that are pitching that well. Late addition just because i like his makeup and praying he lives up to his potential is Lex Rutledge, so would like maybe another few outings at GCL then promote a level.
ljmillar22
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

PostPost #3 by Tucker Blair » July 17th, 2012, 6:40 pm

I wouldn't move any of those guys up. Ruettiger is getting his first action at Frederick. Let him have sustained success there.

Also Mummey needs to prove that he can 1) stay healthy 2) stay healthy and productive at the same time.
If he starts off hot there next year, then you move him up. Just my personal opinion.

Schoop and Machado are fine right where they are now.

i'm just as excited about them performing well, but I just know that they still have some growing to do. I wouldn't even be mad if they got called up, just don't think it's quite the time.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

PostPost #4 by Shorebirdfan » July 17th, 2012, 10:22 pm

I think there are a couple people who should be promoted. How about Aaron Baker who leads the CAR league in HR. He is 24 and still at High A. How would he handle AA?

Here on the Shore, it is time to see how Webb would handle High A. I also think Zach Fowler and Jesse Beal from the bullpen should be moved to High A. Fowler was moved to Norfolk today but only because they had no one to cover innings tonight. I was told Fowler will return to Delmarva and travel with the team to WVA tomorrow.
Shorebirdfan
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 15

PostPost #5 by Matt P » July 17th, 2012, 10:40 pm

I would be cautious and take my time with all prospects. Nothing wrong with letting them experience success and prove they are 100% ready to move up. This organization has ruined multiple players by rushing them.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #6 by Jordan Tuwiner » July 17th, 2012, 11:07 pm

ljmillar22 wrote:I would like to see Torsten Boss moved up aswell, as for pitchers Juan Guzman moved up to Delmarva would be nice, he is striking out close to a batter an inning down at Aberdeen. And to be honest there arent many pitchers in the organisation that are pitching that well. Late addition just because i like his makeup and praying he lives up to his potential is Lex Rutledge, so would like maybe another few outings at GCL then promote a level.

Rutledge should definitely be up in Aberdeen soon. I also like his potential as a power lefty out of the bullpen.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #7 by Jordan Tuwiner » July 17th, 2012, 11:09 pm

Shorebirdfan wrote:I think there are a couple people who should be promoted. How about Aaron Baker who leads the CAR league in HR. He is 24 and still at High A. How would he handle AA?

Here on the Shore, it is time to see how Webb would handle High A. I also think Zach Fowler and Jesse Beal from the bullpen should be moved to High A. Fowler was moved to Norfolk today but only because they had no one to cover innings tonight. I was told Fowler will return to Delmarva and travel with the team to WVA tomorrow.

Agree with everything, Tim. I would love to see Webb get a shot at Frederick but the OF is pretty crowded there.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #8 by Jordan Tuwiner » July 17th, 2012, 11:09 pm

Matt P wrote:I would be cautious and take my time with all prospects. Nothing wrong with letting them experience success and prove they are 100% ready to move up. This organization has ruined multiple players by rushing them.

Yeah, this is the approach I'd take as well. I hope they allow Machado and Schoop to finish out the season with Bowie. Maybe 5-7 games at the end of the year with Norfolk.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #9 by Shorebirdfan » July 17th, 2012, 11:18 pm

Jordan Tuwiner wrote:Agree with everything, Tim. I would love to see Webb get a shot at Frederick but the OF is pretty crowded there.

I would move Nowak to Bowie sometime next month and move Webb at that time. Nowak is 24 and although I don't personally see him as a prospect, I think he has a chance to hang around next season in the Bowie OF. Let him get 15 games or so under his belt this season.
Shorebirdfan
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 15

PostPost #10 by Matt P » July 17th, 2012, 11:22 pm

Jordan Tuwiner wrote:Yeah, this is the approach I'd take as well. I hope they allow Machado and Schoop to finish out the season with Bowie. Maybe 5-7 games at the end of the year with Norfolk.

If Norfolk is still in the playoff hunt at the end of the season I wouldn't be upset if they got called up for the last 5-7 games like you said and then maybe the playoffs. They would have to have earned it though.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #11 by Rising O's » July 18th, 2012, 11:33 am

Shorebirdfan wrote:Also Mummey needs to prove that he can 1) stay healthy 2) stay healthy and productive at the same time.
If he starts off hot there next year, then you move him up. Just my personal opinion.

I don't believe injuries like Mummey's should be a reason to keep a player from advancing. He's proved between last year and now in the last month that he is above this level of competition. Holding him back does not help his progress.
Rising O's
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #12 by docjj » July 18th, 2012, 3:47 pm

Meh...

Aside from Bundy, Schoop, and Machado, I don't see anyone in the O's farm system that I think will contribute at the Major League level (pre 2012 draft). Move around whoever you like, but in the grand scheme of things it doesn't really change the grim reality.

Hoes' bat might play at the Big Leagues, but unless he develops a power stroke I don't see a good fit for him. He couldn't handle second base. He takes terrible jumps and can't play CF. So you're left with a corner outfielder with no power. That dog won't hunt.

I like what I've seen of Branden Webb, but he's old for league. Xavier Avery might make a decent 4th OF, but he'll need to hit better and develop some power if he wants to be an everyday Major Leaguer. Baker is way too old for league and hasn't hit Double-A pitching. Ty Kelly is way too old for league, and the organization is not high on him. Mummey and Ruettiger don't hit enough or have any power.

The only other pre 2012 draft guy I like is Tyler Townsend. He just can't stay healthy. Which is too bad, because he hits when healthy.
docjj
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 3

PostPost #13 by Rising O's » July 20th, 2012, 10:31 am

Kelly performing in AA as well as he did in A+ in his first 3 games. I think he's playing 3rd and his promotion my simply have been need based due to injuries.
Rising O's
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #14 by Rising O's » July 23rd, 2012, 11:28 pm

Ruettiger got promoted, would love to see the same with Mummey.
Rising O's
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #15 by birdwatcher55 » July 24th, 2012, 5:11 am

I would not move any of them up until next year. Let's do it right for once 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

Next

Return to Minor Leagues