Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

competitive balance pick?

competitive balance pick?

PostPost #1 by Rising O's » July 13th, 2012, 1:38 pm

Anyone know why signing Gausman and Poche would prevent them from getting one? I want to go biking for a bit and happened to see this story on masn so no time to look into it further.

http://www.masnsports.com/steve_melewsk ... usman.html
Rising O's
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 10

Re: competitive balance pick?

PostPost #2 by Jordan Tuwiner » July 13th, 2012, 1:57 pm

Rising O's wrote:Anyone know why signing Gausman and Poche would prevent them from getting one? I want to go biking for a bit and happened to see this story on masn so no time to look into it further.

http://www.masnsports.com/steve_melewsk ... usman.html

I don't think it would. Callis is saying it won't and that teams have the wrong impression.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #3 by Rising O's » July 13th, 2012, 4:28 pm

I'll have to look into this. I had no idea about this part of the CBA and I think its a great one. Finally it seems they've limited the benefit of letting players walk and are trying to help some weaker organizations improve a little.
Rising O's
GCL Orioles

PostPost #4 by birdwatcher55 » July 14th, 2012, 10:54 am

How does this draft work?? Who or what will comprise the "talent" pool?? Trying to get educated here .. ty 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #5 by birdwatcher55 » July 14th, 2012, 11:00 am

Just checked the MASN story. Correct me if I'm wrong but are we basically drafting "leftovers" from other teams that could not reach agreements with their draftees??? 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #6 by Shorebirdfan » July 14th, 2012, 12:23 pm

Here is the best link I could find to explain this.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd ... 2&c_id=mlb
Shorebirdfan
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 15

PostPost #7 by Rising O's » July 14th, 2012, 12:51 pm

So the Orioles are potentially getting a 31-37th round pick or one in the 90th range, according to what Callis says. But the statement below from Mayo is confusing. Its something to root for anyway.

The odds of winning a Draft pick in this lottery will be based on each team's winning percentage in the previous season. The half-dozen picks will be made at the conclusion of the first round, but after the compensation picks for free agents.
Rising O's
GCL Orioles

PostPost #8 by Jordan Tuwiner » July 14th, 2012, 1:12 pm

birdwatcher55 wrote:Just checked the MASN story. Correct me if I'm wrong but are we basically drafting "leftovers" from other teams that could not reach agreements with their draftees??? 8-)

Not at all. Some of the worse teams and teams with less money will essentially get another first round pick.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #9 by Rising O's » July 14th, 2012, 11:23 pm

He meant that we would be drafting from a pool of 2012 unsigned draftees with this extra pick. The answer to that is no.

The extra pick that will be drawn this month is to be used in 2013's draft and can be traded unlike regular draft picks.
Rising O's
GCL Orioles

PostPost #10 by Shorebirdfan » July 15th, 2012, 8:44 am

Rising O's wrote:So the Orioles are potentially getting a 31-37th round pick or one in the 90th range, according to what Callis says. But the statement below from Mayo is confusing. Its something to root for anyway.

The odds of winning a Draft pick in this lottery will be based on each team's winning percentage in the previous season. The half-dozen picks will be made at the conclusion of the first round, but after the compensation picks for free agents.

No expert here but I'm thinking of it like the NBA draft lottery where the team with the worst record has more ping pong balls in the hopper improving their odds. Sounded like 13 teams in play with 6 getting picks in the supplemental first round and 6 more in the supplemental 2nd round. Guessing that means one team will be left with nothing.

Interesting the teams included with the Cardinals, Rays.
Shorebirdfan
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 15

PostPost #11 by Don » July 15th, 2012, 8:45 am

Low Revenue rules:
A. There are 12 picks total. 6 picks that start at the end of round 1 and before the compensatory 1A picks commence. 6 picks at the end of round 2.
B. The six teams that get the picks are out of any remaining selection, meaning you can only get one pick.
C. Starting in 2013: If the low revenue team spends over its budget and hits a 5% threshold, it is stripped of its privileges to receive any compensatory selection.
D. The low revenue formula will change depending on market changes and revenue streams. This is not a guarantee for a team to be in this select group each year. Mid-major markets, such as Baltimore, may go in and out of this group from season to season.

Budget Busters: (picks for teams that go over thresholds and loose the pick.)
A. Every team that abides by the rule from that draft class is eligible.
B. The team does not get the slot, it goes behind that group of and pick number 37th overall.
C. If they lose the second round as well, it would go into another lottery and the team that won the first pick would be ineligible, leaving 28 teams (or less depending on who is being stripped of the picks.)
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #12 by birdwatcher55 » July 17th, 2012, 6:14 am

I guess I might be excited about this if Appel was up for grabs. Now wouldn't Boras love that!! :lol:
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #13 by birdwatcher55 » July 17th, 2012, 6:21 am

Yes that was the intent of my question. Seems to me if you want some competitve balance, throw the unsigned picks in a pool and let the teams go at it with some restrictions. I mean Appel would look good in our system right now and I don't think too many people would mind giving up next year's #1 to add that player now. I think this is a workable idea by MLB but it needs a bit of spark and fine tuning to really help the also-rans get better 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #14 by Rising O's » July 18th, 2012, 11:39 am

In a little over an hour we'll see if the Orioles are lucky enough to get an extra 30ish pick in 2013's draft. We need it I think given how the system has rewarded teams for allowing players to walk rather than be used as a tool to improve baseball overall. It would be nice to have the 15th pick, and not have to wait 60 picks to choose again this year.
Rising O's
GCL Orioles

PostPost #15 by Matt P » July 18th, 2012, 12:48 pm

Rising O's wrote:In a little over an hour we'll see if the Orioles are lucky enough to get an extra 30ish pick in 2013's draft. We need it I think given how the system has rewarded teams for allowing players to walk rather than be used as a tool to improve baseball overall. It would be nice to have the 15th pick, and not have to wait 60 picks to choose again this year.

Something tells me they will be picking much higher than 15th.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

Next

Return to MLB Draft