Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Pitching Coach Adair

Pitching Coach Adair

PostPost #1 by birdwatcher55 » July 8th, 2012, 6:38 pm

Matusz ... Arrieta ... Hunter ... Chen backsliding... Bullpen looks shaky.

Time to get rid of Adair. This staff is an embarrassment. Promote Griffin 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

Re: Pitching Coach Adair

PostPost #2 by Tucker Blair » July 8th, 2012, 7:06 pm

Hold the horses!!!

Adair does not pitch in the games. Remember, this staff has been great at times, and also Adair cannot simply be a magician out there.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

PostPost #3 by Oriole85 » July 8th, 2012, 7:07 pm

birdwatcher55 wrote:Matusz ... Arrieta ... Hunter ... Chen backsliding... Bullpen looks shaky.

Time to get rid of Adair. This staff is an embarrassment. Promote Griffin 8-)

Seems like a bit of an overreaction especially on Chen to make an in-season move. The 'pen has been great this year. If the pitchers struggle more under Griffin, should he then be replaced?
Oriole85
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 3

PostPost #4 by Zach » July 8th, 2012, 8:39 pm

Are you kidding me? We are over .500 at the all-star break for the first time in ages. Our bullpen has the best era in the AL and the second best in all of MLB. Our rotation has used 8 different pitchers already at this point, two of which (that have significant numbers of starts) are sub 4.00. Hunter never should have been in this rotation.
Zach
DSL Orioles

PostPost #5 by Oriole85 » July 9th, 2012, 12:32 am

Zach wrote:Are you kidding me? We are over .500 at the all-star break for the first time in ages. Our bullpen has the best era in the AL and the second best in all of MLB. Our rotation has used 8 different pitchers already at this point, two of which (that have significant numbers of starts) are sub 4.00. Hunter never should have been in this rotation.

Who would you have put in the Opening Day rotation instead of Hunter?
Oriole85
DSL Orioles

PostPost #6 by Matt P » July 9th, 2012, 2:00 am

It seems like all the young guys love Griffin down in AAA. If Adair is let go I would be happy to see Griffin in Baltimore. I would love Peterson to be the pitching coach but I get the sense he isn't interested.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #7 by birdwatcher55 » July 9th, 2012, 5:21 am

Griffin is the obvious choice here to replace Adair. Personally I don't see how Adair is (or ever was) qualified to be a pitching coach 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #8 by dan72 » July 9th, 2012, 8:39 am

I think what you are seeing here in the recent decline in our pitching is multi dimensional. First our offense has taken a step back over the last month which magnifies the pitching woes. Secondly the pitchers have to be willing to accept the coaching. Lastly I feel strongly that we have over valued our own guys all along.
My observation is simple, at critical times in the game when you need to get out a batter with RISP, we can't get that out. The other teams have been able to work the count, get a fastball and drive it for a hit. Matusz especially is 2 or 3 bad pitches away from a different out come.
I have said all along that to be competitive in the east we will have to go out and get starting pitching. We all know that is an expensive venture.
With the exception of Bundy, there is no one in our system that we can look forward to as being a consistant major league starter. Sure guys like Gonzalez and Britton and Matusz are going to show you flashes, but I don't know that any of them can survive long term. I guess we will see.......I don't think it's a matter of coaching as much as it is a matter of our 5 starters are just not as good as most other teams 5 starters. You have to have the horses and we don't.
dan72
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #9 by Don » July 9th, 2012, 10:15 am

You are being a bit bearish in your approach to the overall assessment.

When your lineup takes a dump, pitches tend to press. When a pitcher presses for perfection, the wheels fall off.

Each pitcher does not respond to the same approach. What worked well with Hammel or Chen, does not mean that it works for Matusz or Arrieta. Conversely, Petersen may not have gotten through to anyone on the starting staff to begin the season. It is why I said it was imperative to add additional roving pitching instructors and double the efforts. It increases the "he gets it" odds.

How can so many other pitchers go from one ear to another and turn lights out. AJ Burnett ring a bell, how about the own group of Hammel.

I feel you are writing off way too prematurely. Some guys may never do well in Baltimore, some are built for other places, but all are quality arms. It depends about the person being able to get through to them and bring out the potential.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #10 by birdwatcher55 » July 9th, 2012, 11:46 am

I base my desire to see this guy canned on the slow and steady decline of our young arms like Arrieta, Matusz and Hunter. Even Strop has been struggling. If this isn't as giant Red Flag for DD then he must be blind 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #11 by thezeroes » July 9th, 2012, 5:45 pm

birdwatcher55 wrote:I base my desire to see this guy canned on the slow and steady decline of our young arms like Arrieta, Matusz and Hunter. Even Strop has been struggling. If this isn't as giant Red Flag for DD then he must be blind 8-)

This would be a must read for you. http://www.masnsports.com/steve_melewsk ... ggles.html
The whole premise of the biomechanical analysis has not been totally implemented into the MLB side of things. Peterson and Griffin now have the chance to do so with Matusz, Arrieta and Hunter. It seems to have given new life to Tillman, Miguel Gonzales and Miguel Socolovich which you can read about here: http://www.masnsports.com/steve_melewsk ... /xx-3.html
thezeroes
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 38

PostPost #12 by Zach » July 9th, 2012, 8:27 pm

Oriole85 wrote:
Zach wrote:Are you kidding me? We are over .500 at the all-star break for the first time in ages. Our bullpen has the best era in the AL and the second best in all of MLB. Our rotation has used 8 different pitchers already at this point, two of which (that have significant numbers of starts) are sub 4.00. Hunter never should have been in this rotation.

Who would you have put in the Opening Day rotation instead of Hunter?

My point wasn't that we had someone to replace Hunter with. My point was that Adair is doing a pretty good job with what he has been given.
Zach
DSL Orioles

PostPost #13 by birdwatcher55 » July 12th, 2012, 1:12 pm

Can Peterson do brain transplants on Matusz and Arrieta?? Both seem to have great talent but it all seems to be in their heads as far as realizing that skillset 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #14 by birdwatcher55 » July 17th, 2012, 6:08 am

Anybody else here seen enough of this guy?? Absolutely pathetic :x
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Return to Baltimore Orioles