Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Sebastian Vader Game Scouting Report 7/13/12

Sebastian Vader Game Scouting Report 7/13/12

PostPost #1 by Tucker Blair » July 16th, 2012, 11:10 am

http://orioles-nation.com/2012/07/16/se ... t-7132012/
The Orioles selected Sebastian Vader in the 18th round of the 2010 MLB draft. The 6' 4'' righty received a fairly hefty signing bonus of $150,000, which shows the Orioles feel he has potential. They are hoping that this 18th rounder could be a diamond in the rough.

Vader has a lot of good things going for him. He's one of the more athletic pitchers you will see. He played quarterback in high school and has a good pitcher's frame. To sum him up, he has all the "looks" of a good pitcher. Topping off things to like with him is the name. I wish my name was cool like Sebastian Vader.

I was able to see Vader pitch on Friday (7/13/12) and what follows are my observations.

Ask me any questions/thoughts!
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

Re: Sebastian Vader Game Scouting Report 7/13/12

PostPost #2 by jowend » July 16th, 2012, 11:48 am

With a name like Vader, he should be pitching for the yankees
jowend
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

PostPost #3 by Tucker Blair » July 16th, 2012, 11:54 am

jowend wrote:With a name like Vader, he should be pitching for the yankees

Ha!
The Orioles need their own evil forces as well.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

PostPost #4 by ofahn » July 16th, 2012, 11:58 am

When I had initially seen that line score I was drawn to our one hit. I hope you didn't miss it by going to the BR.

Vader reminds me of pitcher that could break out IF he focuses on two things:

Build his legs and core muscles

Work overtime to make his change up delivery mirror his FB

Vader should watch video of guys like Jamie Moyer. He never threw hard but that change up of his kept batters so off balance that he was effective. If you throw a FB in the low 90s and can throw your change up about ten MPH slower with the same motion your FB looks about 100 to a batter, and you will have a ML career.

This season should be a good learning experience for him, but this off season will show how much he wants to be a ML pitcher. I don't think he's ready for the AFL yet so he will have the Winter to work on his conditioning and delivery. I know from experience that you can work on your delivery without putting much strain on your throwing muscles. In fact, if it's done right, you can actually strengthen them.

I have felt for years that this team should invest in two off season mini camps for its most promising prospects. About two weeks in early November and two more in early January. This would allow the instructors to monitor each player's progress and verify that they are following the regimen given them, along with making any mid course corrections.

If we were to pay the kids the AAA daily rate and per diem and pay for them to bring a significant other most players would be very enthusiastic about attending. With the additional pay for the instructors we're talking about an expense of around 300K. A bargain if it produces just one more ML player every other year.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #5 by ofahn » July 16th, 2012, 12:00 pm

TuckerBlair89 wrote:The Orioles need their own evil forces as well.

I thought we had Kevin Gregg.

OH, wait, you meant evil forces that were working to HELP us.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #6 by Tucker Blair » July 16th, 2012, 12:08 pm

I agree Ofahn, his change up is an important piece to the puzzle. I'd like to see it get better, which he has plenty of time to do that. I really don't expect anyone in the NYPL to be throwing above average change ups with a solid fastball as well, otherwise they wouldn't be in the NYPL.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

PostPost #7 by ofahn » July 16th, 2012, 1:04 pm

TuckerBlair89 wrote:I really don't expect anyone in the NYPL to be throwing above average change ups with a solid fastball as well, otherwise they wouldn't be in the NYPL.

Sure. I get that.

What I was trying to say is that this kid has the raw materials to build upon IF he wants to be a ML player. A lot of what happens now is up to him.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #8 by Shorebirdfan » July 16th, 2012, 1:40 pm

I wonder if the CBA allows for such an off season mini camp? If so it does sound like a good idea.
Shorebirdfan
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 15

PostPost #9 by ofahn » July 16th, 2012, 1:47 pm

Shorebirdfan wrote:I wonder if the CBA allows for such an off season mini camp? If so it does sound like a good idea.

I won't say I know this for sure but I believe the team has more latitude with players that are NOT on the 40 Man Roster. Even so, the camps should be voluntary. If players that attend seem to make big leaps I would think there would be a stampede to sign up for future camps.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #10 by Tucker Blair » July 16th, 2012, 1:59 pm

ofahn wrote:
Sure. I get that.

What I was trying to say is that this kid has the raw materials to build upon IF he wants to be a ML player. A lot of what happens now is up to him.

Indeed. This year is all about growth for him (well every year is always about that obviously). But he just needs to refine his pitches and progress with the secondary. Repeating his delivery is another thing he'll need to work on. He got a little rattled in one inning
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

PostPost #11 by ofahn » July 16th, 2012, 2:07 pm

TuckerBlair89 wrote:Repeating his delivery is another thing he'll need to work on. He got a little rattled in one inning

Pitching success is a bifurcated track. Physical discipline and the courage to trust their stuff.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Return to Minor Leagues