Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Observations From Aberdeen 7/13/12

Observations From Aberdeen 7/13/12

PostPost #1 by Tucker Blair » July 14th, 2012, 1:23 pm

I attended the game Friday night.

The Final score was a 10-0 loss so there isn't much I can talk about here in a positive light. I'll try.

Christian Walker- The baseball gods did not want me to see him play. He walked on 4 pitches, got hit by a pitch and flied out on a first pitch. Needless to say, I really need to see him play again.

Roderick Bernadina- Still a work in progress out in CF. He probably should have caught a ball that ended up going for a triple. On the other hand, he had some OK plate appearances, nothing better than what I saw the last 2 times. His bat speed is ridiculous, and I still think he is the most exciting player on the team. Christian Walker is going to give him a run for his money though.

Joel Hutter- To put it bluntly, he has no range whatsoever at SS. He's really slow up the middle and I haven't been too impressed with him defensively at all. His arm is not the strongest either. Remember, this is a guy who signed for 10K in the 10th round. I'd be curious to see him moved to 2B though. He does make some nice transfers on relays. That was the one thing that stood out for me. Certainly above average in that aspect.

Jose Nivar- This guy has a damn ARM. He was popping it around 96 MPH. Of course, he also cannot locate a pitch to save his life. He can't hit the broadside of a barn as Don mentioned to me. However, you simply cannot teach fast. He indeed has a huge skill there, and location and command are going to be his downfall. His secondary stuff is just whatever to me. Nothing entirely impressive either. Nivar is a little old for the NYPL but I can completely see why the Orioles are holding onto him. If a light ever clicks with him, watch out.

Sebastian Vader- I'm going to write an in-depth column on him. Should be out by Wednesday I'd say.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 44

Re: Observations From Aberdeen 7/13/12

PostPost #2 by Jordan Tuwiner » July 14th, 2012, 1:27 pm

Nivar is a big strong guy. He was an outfielder prior to 2010 and has only been pitching for two years. If his command comes around even a little bit there's definitely some potential.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #3 by Tucker Blair » July 14th, 2012, 1:28 pm

Jordan Tuwiner wrote:Nivar is a big strong guy. He was an outfielder prior to 2010 and has only been pitching for two years. If his command comes around even a little bit there's definitely some potential.

I probably should have mentioned that.
thanks!
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

PostPost #4 by dan72 » July 14th, 2012, 9:03 pm

I think Hutters bat will allow him to play some where. Could be 2b or corner outfield?
Good evals though thanks.
dan72
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #5 by Tucker Blair » July 14th, 2012, 9:52 pm

dan72 wrote:I think Hutters bat will allow him to play some where. Could be 2b or corner outfield?
Good evals though thanks.

Maybe so. It's worth noting they moved up Jerome Pena to Delmarva. Probably gives them a chance to fully look at Hutter/Simpson up the middle.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Return to Minor Leagues