Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Guerrero Agrees to One Year Deal to DH for Orioles

Guerrero Agrees to One Year Deal to DH for Orioles

PostPost #1 by 2131andBeyond » February 4th, 2011, 6:17 pm

Per Enrique Rojas of ESPN Deportes on Twitter:

Source: Vlad Guerrero and Orioles agree $8 million 1 year deal.

http://orioles-nation.com/2011/02/04/gu ... r-orioles/
2131andBeyond
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

Re: Guerrero Agrees to One Year Deal to DH for Orioles

PostPost #2 by tribeTILLiDIE » February 4th, 2011, 6:39 pm

Looks like the Orioles are trying to make it look like they've got a chance at winning. Impressive though. $8 mil.

LOVE this deal for B-More. Good for you guys, you'll certainly enjoy him. I actually think this team has a shot at a winning record this season.
tribeTILLiDIE
DSL Orioles

PostPost #3 by tribeTILLiDIE » February 4th, 2011, 6:44 pm

And I really do think the O's have a shot at winning here. Yes, you can't help but be iffy when it comes to the rotation, but the addition of Duchscherer was exactly what their young rotation needed. The rotation's extremely young but extremely talented too, so don't overlook that. And the lineup's stacked. Just stacked.
tribeTILLiDIE
DSL Orioles

PostPost #4 by Gator » February 4th, 2011, 8:43 pm

we have a lineup that now looks like a Yankee's lineup. I am so excited for this season to start.
Gator
DSL Orioles

PostPost #5 by Shorebirdfan » February 4th, 2011, 10:17 pm

Have to admit, I'm impressed with the off season moves the organization has made. I can't think of another cllub that has made so much progress forward while investing so little money, or leveraging so little of the future. Well done.
Shorebirdfan
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 15

PostPost #6 by Gator » February 4th, 2011, 10:34 pm

Shorebirdfan wrote:Have to admit, I'm impressed with the off season moves the organization has made. I can't think of another cllub that has made so much progress forward while investing so little money, or leveraging so little of the future. Well done.

I completely agree, its been a great offseason. You live here on the shore as well? im 5 minutes from the stadium
Gator
DSL Orioles

PostPost #7 by Don » February 5th, 2011, 12:15 am

Am I the only one who thinks the front office lost it's marbels with this deal?

A man of two distinct halves is no longer an everyday player and he commands on of the highest salaries on the team; a 36 year old that can turn into Sammy Sosa overnight. He has always been a free swinger and his bat speed dropped significantly in July, August, and September.

To boot, 31 other teams were not clearly seeking his services in other clubhouses and the Orioles spend 5 more million over their openning bid.

Simply Crazy and not worth the value.

Will it make the team better? Jury is still out on this because you force Luke Scott in the everyday role and your best option for platoon has similar match up issues. The staff still has to show progress and the bullpen needs to hope the facelift corrects the problems.

I get it, but 8 million for a guy that has no buisness logging more than 300 at bats next season is way too much. They could have used that money wisely to continue to build for the future instead of placing your trust into an over active swinger that has become a pull hitter. History shows pull hitters will hit the wall and when they do it goes to the crapper. I hope his second half was an aberation and he proves me wrong. I simply think I am right when Jim Thome, Matsui, Manny, Damon and so many others were gobbled up by contenders earlier in the off-season and passed on the .300 25 100 line that Vlad had last season at Texas. Again, I hope I am wrong.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #8 by Shorebirdfan » February 6th, 2011, 10:12 am

Don wrote:Am I the only one who thinks the front office lost it's marbels with this deal?

A man of two distinct halves is no longer an everyday player and he commands on of the highest salaries on the team; a 36 year old that can turn into Sammy Sosa overnight. He has always been a free swinger and his bat speed dropped significantly in July, August, and September.

To boot, 31 other teams were not clearly seeking his services in other clubhouses and the Orioles spend 5 more million over their openning bid.

Simply Crazy and not worth the value.

Will it make the team better? Jury is still out on this because you force Luke Scott in the everyday role and your best option for platoon has similar match up issues. The staff still has to show progress and the bullpen needs to hope the facelift corrects the problems.

I get it, but 8 million for a guy that has no buisness logging more than 300 at bats next season is way too much. They could have used that money wisely to continue to build for the future instead of placing your trust into an over active swinger that has become a pull hitter. History shows pull hitters will hit the wall and when they do it goes to the crapper. I hope his second half was an aberation and he proves me wrong. I simply think I am right when Jim Thome, Matsui, Manny, Damon and so many others were gobbled up by contenders earlier in the off-season and passed on the .300 25 100 line that Vlad had last season at Texas. Again, I hope I am wrong.

I would have to sayno. You are not alone. Looking at several other comment sites, plenty of folks are ripping this as a bad deal. Personally, I love the deal. The job of the front office is to put the best line-up out there to compete on a daily basis. Vlad is still a feared hitter every time he steps up to the plate. He has the ability to hit any pitch out of the park. No one fears Nolan Reimold. Is this the answer of all answers, NO, but playing in this division against the big spending Yanks and Sox, you have to take steps. Allowing Reimold, Britton, et al, another year to develop in the minors while being more competitive at the major league level is all we can hope for. Barring injuries, everyday you can now go to the park thinking this team has a chance to win. It was less than 8 months ago you couldn't say that.
Shorebirdfan
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 15

Return to Baltimore Orioles