Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Orioles Sign Justin Duchscherer

Orioles Sign Justin Duchscherer

PostPost #1 by Jordan Tuwiner » January 30th, 2011, 10:51 pm

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/01/o ... herer.html

The Orioles and Justin Duchscherer have agreed to a one-year deal that could be worth as much as $4.5MM in salary and incentives according to ESPN's Jerry Crasnick (on Twitter). The contract is still pending a physical.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

Re: Orioles Sign Justin Duchscherer

PostPost #2 by Gator » January 30th, 2011, 10:56 pm

i really like this signing. it will help force some competition in ST and if healthy, Duchscherer will really provide some quality innings. i just hope that this deal doesn't stop us from picking up Vlad. we were already over the budget Angelos and McPhail discussed before the contract offer to Vlad.
Gator
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

PostPost #3 by slob » January 31st, 2011, 12:06 pm

agreed.vlad is the last remaining piece of the puzzle,though i would not be too upset if he doesnt sign.but if he does and the young players continue to develop then im thinking toe to toe with the yanks sox and rays.duchsherer is a huge get.
slob
DSL Orioles

PostPost #4 by Don » January 31st, 2011, 2:06 pm

I am high on Vlad the player, but not with that price tag. He can take that phantom offer of 8 million and play in the Korean league. His second half OPS was so poor that he should not even command a quarter of the deal, which is why I think McPhail made a good offer of 3 million for him. Take it or leave it, he is no place to demand any deal at this point.

This signing is a fair market value where he makes money with performances. I have always liked performanced based contracts and all of sports should follow that type of format. If he comes in this season with 30 starts, it is rather worth the 4.5 million tag.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #5 by Don » January 31st, 2011, 2:11 pm

On top of the annoucement last night, Mark Hendrickson agreed to a minor league deal with an invitation to spring training.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

PostPost #6 by Gator » January 31st, 2011, 6:58 pm

Don wrote:I am high on Vlad the player, but not with that price tag. He can take that phantom offer of 8 million and play in the Korean league. His second half OPS was so poor that he should not even command a quarter of the deal, which is why I think McPhail made a good offer of 3 million for him. Take it or leave it, he is no place to demand any deal at this point.

This signing is a fair market value where he makes money with performances. I have always liked performanced based contracts and all of sports should follow that type of format. If he comes in this season with 30 starts, it is rather worth the 4.5 million tag.

Well yes while Vlad did have a pretty poor 2nd half, he brings a lot more than numbers to the party. Vlad would give us instant credability and a player that instills fear in the opposing pitcher. A .300 hitter with huge power that can literally hit a pitch that bounces or one that ends up over his head. And with a possible 3-6 of Lee, Vlad, Scott and Reynolds, the rest of the lineup will benefit from better pitches to hit. Jones and Wieters could put up huge numbers as the 7 and 8 hitters and imagine what Nick could do batting 2nd. It just makes the whole lineup better.

I dont think the front office has to make this move but i think it would make the lineup potent.
Gator
DSL Orioles

PostPost #7 by Don » February 1st, 2011, 10:18 am

I no longer think Vlad is an everyday player worthy of a multi-year or a multi-million dollar contract. I feel he has only so many swings before he starts to break down and at best is a 3/4 day a week player if you want him to last an entire season.

He is really not worth the contract that is being floating by the beat writers at the moment. While I would take anyone that could help the Orioles, he is not worth his price tag. You should not pay anything more than 2-3 million for a guy that should log 250-300 at bats next season in a part time DH role.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

PostPost #8 by hsbaseballcoach » February 1st, 2011, 9:49 pm

Lets be honest, neither Vlad or Justin are final pieces to the puzzle. The Os have little to no chance of making a playoff run this year (emphasis on none). BUT both can bring respectability back to Baltimore baseball, both are trade options at the deadline to restock a fair to poor farm system, and both show the MLB free agents of the future that Baltimore wants to win and is a place that should be consider. The latter point is what I believe is the biggest benefit in the longer term for the franchise. Is it spring training yet?
hsbaseballcoach
DSL Orioles

Return to Baltimore Orioles