Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Who will improve in the 2nd half?

Who will improve in the 2nd half?

PostPost #1 by Jordan Tuwiner » July 12th, 2012, 12:28 pm

Obviously, there are a lot of struggling players on this team. Some people want the O's to make a trade but how much improvement can we reasonably expect from players already on the team?

Markakis back should help a lot and there's absolutely no way Hardy will be as bad as he was in the first half.

Who else?
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

Re: Who will improve in the 2nd half?

PostPost #2 by ofahn » July 12th, 2012, 12:49 pm

Jordan Tuwiner wrote:Obviously, there are a lot of struggling players on this team. Some people want the O's to make a trade but how much improvement can we reasonably expect from players already on the team?

Markakis back should help a lot and there's absolutely no way Hardy will be as bad as he was in the first half.

Who else?

I think that either Arrieta or Matusz (if he's not traded) will benefit from Rick Peterson's tutelage and pitch to ML average or better in August and September.

I believe IF Xavier Avery is allowed to play every day, he will become the defensive LF we have been looking for and a solid lead off guy. I also believe that Ryan Flaherty would hit for league average and be above average defensively at 2B if he were allowed to play every day.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #3 by birdwatcher55 » July 12th, 2012, 1:06 pm

I can think of three:
-- Reynolds (he hit 37 HRs last year). Got to be better.
-- Wieters. Big Matt usually turns it up the last 5-6 weeks
-- Lindstrom. He was shutdown before he got hurt. Looks shaky of late but probably rounding back into form 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #4 by osforlife » July 12th, 2012, 1:53 pm

Reynolds will improve the most. He will go on a week tear and hit more homers in 7 games than he did in the first half. I think Wieters will hit alot better. Matusz and Arrieta are better than how they have pitched so I can see slight improvement there. Obviously Hardy with Markakis coming back. Is Roberts supposed to be out for the season? Andino will perform better if he knows nobody is knocking on the door.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #5 by ofahn » July 12th, 2012, 2:56 pm

osforlife wrote:Reynolds will improve the most.

You have a MAJOR S**TLOAD more faith in him than I do. I see him as dead wood on the roster.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #6 by birdwatcher55 » July 12th, 2012, 5:41 pm

Nothing personal but I hope we never see Arrieta or Matusz in Baltimore again. Time to cut bait and find them new homes. Maybe part of a package for Headley??? 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #7 by Jordan Tuwiner » July 12th, 2012, 5:42 pm

birdwatcher55 wrote:Nothing personal but I hope we never see Arrieta or Matusz in Baltimore again. Time to cut bait and find them new homes. Maybe part of a package for Headley??? 8-)

If they can improve and become good pitchers, why wouldn't you want to see them pitch for the Orioles?
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #8 by birdwatcher55 » July 12th, 2012, 6:15 pm

Not sure they ever will here for whatever reason. I would move both if we could fill our pressing needs at 3B, LF and 2B with long term upside prospects/solutions. Just my two cents 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #9 by osforlife » July 12th, 2012, 8:27 pm

ofahn wrote:
You have a MAJOR S**TLOAD more faith in him than I do. I see him as dead wood on the roster.

Over his first four full seasons in the majors, he has averaged 35 homeruns a season. The defense isn't going to improve, but the homers have got to start coming along sooner or later. I don't think he is dead weight. If he never played third base in Baltimore, I think people would complain alot less about him. He doesn't play there anymore so people need to put that away. Plus, he gets on base a decent amount.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #10 by ofahn » July 12th, 2012, 8:56 pm

osforlife wrote:the homers have got to start coming along sooner or later.

Until they don't. We look at Mark Reynolds and see two different players.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #11 by Zach » July 12th, 2012, 10:08 pm

I think Andino will improve the second half. The injury to Roberts leave a lot of uncertainty as to how soon he will be back and Andino will be the primary player getting the playing time there. I think he will start to find the stroke he had most of last season with more regular playing time. Early in the season his role wasn't well defined with the uncertainty surrounding Roberts. I think even with some uncertainty with Roberts, Andino's role is more well defined as a utility guy who we are comfortable giving significant playing time to per necessity with injuries. I think he looks to prove that he deserves more than this role and that last year wasn't a fluke.
Zach
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 3

PostPost #12 by Matt P » July 13th, 2012, 2:50 am

Originally I was going to say Mark Reynolds but after giving it some thought I think it will be JJ Hardy.

He has hit a ton of balls as hard as one can hit them but they just have been right at someone. He's also been victimized by quite a few web gem type plays this season.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #13 by birdwatcher55 » July 13th, 2012, 6:16 am

Endy Chavez anyone??? :lol:
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #14 by ofahn » July 13th, 2012, 7:02 am

Zach wrote:I think Andino will improve the second half.

I'd like to believe it's true but at his age and playing time I think we have seen the top of his performance curve. IMO Andino is a league average utility player and will probably never perform beyond that.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #15 by osforlife » July 13th, 2012, 8:24 am

ofahn wrote:
Until they don't. We look at Mark Reynolds and see two different players.

I think he will hit 20+. When you're dealing with a guy who have averaged 35 homeruns a season who's on track for about 12, I think we will see lots of improvement. Also, Andino lifts his back foot and it usually slides back when he swings. I'am suprised he gets as much power as he does. I'am not sure if he does this every time but I've seen it numerous times. Pretty sure you hit off of your back leg and when you take away that....I'am not pro scout but I believe thats what might be his problem. Heres just an example video I found: Watch his back foot. http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?conte ... 9&c_id=mlb
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Next

Return to Baltimore Orioles