MLBtraderumors is reporting that the Os have the inside track on signing Vlad. I LOVE this idea! Some may argue where will he fit in? What about Luke Scott? The Os do not need another DH. Here are my arguments on why this makes sense:
1. He can flat out hit! Even with bad legs and sub-par defense - the guy is a proven commodity at the dish.
2. Pie has not proven he can stay healthy for a full season and Vlad is not great in the field but can be serviceable.
3. Scott showed last year that he can hit lefties, but has not shown that skill in the past - Vlad is insurance.
4. Trade bait - if the Os, well when the Os (for the 2011), fall out of contention - he can be used to as trade bait to help restock a depleted farm system.
5. Could serve as a mentor for for some of the young Dominican players in the organization. Izzy is Venezuelan and Vladdy is Dominican and has been one of the best hitters in baseball for over a decade - who better for young hispanic, particularly Dominican prospects to look up to.
6. Great clubhouse guy - the guy has always been positive guy in the clubhouse.
7. Money - he is affordable, to a degree, and the Os are investing that money well (for a mentor, legit bat, trade for prospects) even if he is a 3 month rental.
8. For the fans - it shows the fans that the Os will sign the best available players - it may help to lure future big name free agents as the Os inch closer to contention.
Make the Deal!