Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

BA: Midseason Prospect Reports

Re: BA: Midseason Prospect Reports

PostPost #16 by Shorebirdfan » July 11th, 2012, 7:12 pm

ofahn wrote:I had directed that to Shorebirdfan. Maybe "Scotty" should beam you "down the shore" more often.

Sorry, I had missed this question, and oh LOL. (Beam you down)

Delmonico to this point has only played 1B and 2B. The glove has been a little better at 1B overall, but I thought over time he'd get better at 2B as his struggles there came alot on turning DP's. To me the concern is that his bat isn't really what you are looking for at 1B. Not enough of a HR threat.

Do want to point out again that since his return from the DL Delmonico has played only 1B after playing 2B almost exclusively for about a month.
Shorebirdfan
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 15

PostPost #17 by Tucker Blair » July 11th, 2012, 7:29 pm

And I was just saying I had never seen him to enforce your statement.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

PostPost #18 by BuckMagic » July 11th, 2012, 7:38 pm

Shorebirdfan wrote:
Sorry, I had missed this question, and oh LOL. (Beam you down)

Delmonico to this point has only played 1B and 2B. The glove has been a little better at 1B overall, but I thought over time he'd get better at 2B as his struggles there came alot on turning DP's. To me the concern is that his bat isn't really what you are looking for at 1B. Not enough of a HR threat.

Do want to point out again that since his return from the DL Delmonico has played only 1B after playing 2B almost exclusively for about a month.

Maybe just easing him back from the injury?
BuckMagic
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #19 by Shorebirdfan » July 11th, 2012, 8:09 pm

BuckMagic wrote:Maybe just easing him back from the injury?

Very possible just worry doing that with a young prospect.
Shorebirdfan
GCL Orioles

PostPost #20 by Don » July 11th, 2012, 9:29 pm

I know you guys are piling on with Jason, but one thing to consider is that some guys need to be around their own age. It does not make an excuse as you should play 100% no matter where you are...

I take this example with Narron. He loafed in Aberdeen because he thought it was beneath him. He never took it seriously and it showed with a lot of scouts and player personnel outside of the Orioles organization. He goes to the Shorebirds and there is a different tune. Maybe not the results you want to see all the time, the growth, but those antics stopped from my understanding.

I give Jason time. The first season of pro ball is a tough adjustment. Maybe a promotion to Frederick might put a pep in his step...

just throwing out a slightly different take...
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #21 by Matt P » July 11th, 2012, 9:32 pm

I don't understand the logic in how an injured player or a player in his first professional season could be termed a disappointment. Would someone please explain it to me?
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #22 by Tucker Blair » July 11th, 2012, 9:35 pm

Matt P wrote:I don't understand the logic in how an injured player or a player in his first professional season could be termed a disappointment. Would someone please explain it to me?

I agree with injured.
I can see the points of a player like Esposito since he came from college and an established program. But like Don said, I'm willing to give him at least another year before any serious conclusions.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

PostPost #23 by Shorebirdfan » July 12th, 2012, 8:58 am

Matt P wrote:I don't understand the logic in how an injured player or a player in his first professional season could be termed a disappointment. Would someone please explain it to me?

If the question is directed towards my statement of Esposito as a disappointment, it is really related to the glove. I just don't see a big jump in defensively challenges from major college ball to Low A, and his defense has been REALLY BAD. I get errors, I get not making plays on tough chances. He is commiting errors on balls that you or I could field (well you I'm really bad at 3B). This was supposed to be the strong part of his game.

I agree on injury.

P.S. Remember the way everyone jumped down Hobgood's throat his first full season? And he came out of HS.
Shorebirdfan
GCL Orioles

PostPost #24 by Rising O's » July 12th, 2012, 9:02 am

I'm with Don. Taking college players from advanced programs and putting those players in lower level A seems counterproductive. You don't go from being an above average defender to below average in a few months so something is wrong there. But the bat right now worries me more. Have the Orioles tinkered with this approach? He has gotten progressively worse each month and has been abysmal in July.
Rising O's
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #25 by Shorebirdfan » July 12th, 2012, 9:10 am

Don wrote:I know you guys are piling on with Jason, but one thing to consider is that some guys need to be around their own age. It does not make an excuse as you should play 100% no matter where you are...

I take this example with Narron. He loafed in Aberdeen because he thought it was beneath him. He never took it seriously and it showed with a lot of scouts and player personnel outside of the Orioles organization. He goes to the Shorebirds and there is a different tune. Maybe not the results you want to see all the time, the growth, but those antics stopped from my understanding.

I give Jason time. The first season of pro ball is a tough adjustment. Maybe a promotion to Frederick might put a pep in his step...

just throwing out a slightly different take...

And as always your takes are exceptional. Great point on the age and certainly every person reacts differently.

We were just talking about the Narron issue at the park a couple weeks back. I figure some of these 2nd generation guys live off their name for a time and when they realize that is as far as it will take them they either wake up and decide they want to be more, or they just hang around at that level. No different in the outside world if you take on the family business.

Wish others in this same situation would get the wake up call.
Shorebirdfan
GCL Orioles

PostPost #26 by dan72 » July 12th, 2012, 8:48 pm

I think the biggest disapointment is Matt Hobgood. He has shown no promise since being drafted. A complete mistake by the team. I can't wait till next season to see what he does.
It's so disapointing as a fan to waste such a high pick.
dan72
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #27 by Matt P » July 13th, 2012, 2:56 am

Shorebirdfan wrote:
If the question is directed towards my statement of Esposito as a disappointment, it is really related to the glove. I just don't see a big jump in defensively challenges from major college ball to Low A, and his defense has been REALLY BAD. I get errors, I get not making plays on tough chances. He is commiting errors on balls that you or I could field (well you I'm really bad at 3B). This was supposed to be the strong part of his game.

I agree on injury.

P.S. Remember the way everyone jumped down Hobgood's throat his first full season? And he came out of HS.

It wasn't directed at anyone in particular and I didn't mean it to be rude or disrespectful. My apologies if it came off that way. I honestly just wanted to know why people thought that way because it was different than my thoughts.

I think Hobgood was a different story though considering everyone knew he was a horrible draft pick the second it was announced. He came into camp overweight and out of shape if I remember correctly. I just think adjusting to living as a ballplayer is an acceptable excuse for first season struggles. I don't really like to judge a player until their 2nd year but I'm not as in the know about prospects as you are.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

Previous

Return to Minor Leagues