Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

I like Norris and Cole

I like Norris and Cole

PostPost #1 by docjj » January 22nd, 2011, 9:56 am

I like Gerritt Cole. There's no substitue for raw power and mid-high nineties heat. He's durable, polished. I think he'll have a big year and be a top 3 pick.

I assume Cole and Rendon will be gone by the time the O's pick. So that leaves us Norris,Jungmann, Gray, Purke and perhaps Springer if you want to add a position player. Gray scares me because how many small skinny guys can throw that hard and stay healthy. Lincecum is the ultra-rare exception and I do not think lightening will strike twice. Injury risk scares me away on Gray. Purke is polished, experienced, and a top talent. He'll cost a ton to sign. Norris will too, but I'm really big on him.
docjj
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 3

Re: I like Norris and Cole

PostPost #2 by hsbaseballcoach » January 22nd, 2011, 7:53 pm

Correct me if I am wrong, but I think the Os have the 4th pick. Rendon will go 1 if he is healthy and Cole will most likely go 2. I can only hope Purke is around but I would bet he goes 3. Jungmann and Norris would be good options for the Os - my nod would go to Norris as well. It is never too early to look to the future. This is an extremely deep draft for pitchers, so the Os could stick to the plan and draft several quality arms to develop and look for bats via trade and free agents. A respectable year could go along way in getting more FAs to come to Charm City. On a side note - I would love to see Danny Hultzen, a MD boy (although he played HS in DC at St. John's) go to the Os, but he will be long gone by the Os second pick and taking him at #4 would be a bit too early.
hsbaseballcoach
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

Re: I like Norris and Cole

PostPost #3 by Don » January 25th, 2011, 11:56 am

I am not high on Daniel Norris. His command issues may never improve because film indicates that he rushes through his delivery and this is hard to correct without changing his entire approach to pitching. I am surprised to see him as the highest ranked high school pitcher because of the command issues at this point.

I am high on Bubba Starling simply because of what he brings to the table. He is a dual sport athlete and already excels at the plate and could be a Josh Hamilton type player. He is the best high school player and it will take a 5-6 million contract to sign him away from Nebraska. I was asked to review Team USA tapes over the summer and this kid stood out. His eye/hand coordination is off the charts. I like his bat speed and arc through the zone. His swing path, speed and size lead me to think solid average with plus power in the future.

He will be a corner outfielder, but size and maturation could move him to first and limit his ceiling. If he continues to refine his game, he could jump on one of the pitchers into the 3rd overall prospect. At this point, he would be my number 4 right behind Rendon, Cole, and Purke.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

Return to MLB Draft