Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Make one trade to improve the team (without Bundy or Machado!)

Make one trade to improve the team (without Bundy or Machado!)

PostPost #1 by BuckMagic » July 11th, 2012, 7:33 pm

Make one deal that will improve the team and help them make the playoffs for the second half. Explain WHY it is a good trade!

The players going to the other team may not include Machado or Bundy.

I would trade anyone to acquire Headley. I have NO idea what it would take to get it done though.

Duquette is looking for OBP and good defense, Headley brings both.
BuckMagic
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

Re: Make one trade to improve the team (without Bundy or Machado!)

PostPost #2 by OsFan2110EutawStreet » July 11th, 2012, 8:39 pm

I'd package Matusz and a couple of prospects to the Rockies for Fowler and Scutaro. Throw in Pearce or Flaherty if we have to do that to get it done. Plugs the 2B and LF holes, doesn't give up too much (still have Arrieta, Tillman, Britton, etc.). Move Andino to third and perhaps have a decent defensive infield.
OsFan2110EutawStreet
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 1

PostPost #3 by BmoreShank » July 11th, 2012, 8:49 pm

Would never give up too much talent for a rental, i.e, Zach Grienke. Although I agree Grienke could help us giving up some of the very few prospects we have for basically a two month loan would be silly and I don't think duquette will allow that. I'd say package Reynolds, Betimit, and Flaherity, possibly Pearce or Tolleson, and see if the Padres bite at that. We all know 3B, along with other positions, is a defensive black hole. And offensively lacking at time, acquiring Headley could be a decent fix to those issues. With slim prospects to deal sending two veterans to a team with some young stars could be helpful. But the Padres are asking for a lot for Headley because they are rebuilding.
We all should keep in mind that we can't strip clean the farm to acquire rentals for two months, Grienke and Hamels. Rumors have been spreading about Wandy Rodriguez of the Astros and I've heard talks about Shaun Marcum being available as well. Pitching would be nice. I agree. But with upgrading defensive issues and offensive slowness could help improve the starting pitching. As they would no longer feel like they, the rotation, would not have to go out and throw zeros every inning.
BmoreShank
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

PostPost #4 by Matt P » July 11th, 2012, 9:12 pm

It is impossible to make one trade that doesn't involve Bundy or Machado that would help them make the playoffs. They are more than one trade away especially if they don't include either Bundy or Machado.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #5 by birdwatcher55 » July 12th, 2012, 5:47 am

First of all, you have to identify teams (with players that fill our needs) that would talk to you without Bundy and Machado on the table. Would San Diego (Headley) or the Cubs (Garza) engage in talks with you?? That is the $64,000 question IMHO. Otherwise we could sit here all day and toss names around 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #6 by Jordan Tuwiner » July 12th, 2012, 10:39 am

birdwatcher55 wrote:First of all, you have to identify teams (with players that fill our needs) that would talk to you without Bundy and Machado on the table. Would San Diego (Headley) or the Cubs (Garza) engage in talks with you?? That is the $64,000 question IMHO. Otherwise we could sit here all day and toss names around 8-)

Not that they should, but I think it is certainly possible for them to acquire Headley without giving up Bundy or Machado.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #7 by birdwatcher55 » July 12th, 2012, 1:15 pm

I would hope you are right Jordan because this club desperately, desperately needs to shore up its defense. I'm fast reaching the point where I think Machado and Schoop should be given a look..
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #8 by dan72 » July 12th, 2012, 9:15 pm

I know I will catch flack for this but it does address two needs.
I would send to the Cubs
Mutsz, Avery, schoop and Bridwell and Blackmar
for Garza and Soriano
That would be with the Cubs paying at least half of Soriano's contract.

Why: Garza is a top of the rotation guy, that could add 4-5 wins to the back half. I think he is that much of an upgrade over the pitcher or pitchers that would have pitched had we not aquired him. I would also look to extend him.
Soriano still has power and can protect Jones in the line up and also fill the hole in LF.
On our players I think Matusz will be inconsistant his entire career, Avery is the biggest loss I like his tools although he does lack power. Bridwell is a complete guess as to what he will do. He's a long term project. Schoop is the center piece of the deal, and Blackmar is also several years away so losing him doesn't set your system back.
I'm not sure if there is enough there for the Cubs to make that deal but I think that is a decent package of young players . To be completely "real" no one will take Reynolds or Gregg unless we are paying a large portion of their backhalf salary.
dan72
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #9 by birdwatcher55 » July 17th, 2012, 4:53 am

How about JJ Hardy and Jim Johnson for multiple prospects??? 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Return to Baltimore Orioles