Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

What are we going to do with LJ Hoes?

Re: What are we going to do with LJ Hoes?

PostPost #16 by Shorebirdfan » July 8th, 2012, 1:54 pm

Don't even remember where I saw this, might have been something Don wrote or something I read previewing the futures game. Someone said that one of the big factors in determining the value of a prospect is their ability to adjust and react to tough situations. I think Schoop's performance last year is indicative of this. Hopefully he catches lightning again this year.

Personally I was in favor of him starting this season at Frederick but as Ofahn points out, the late season and playoff performance was exceptional and maybe that's what pushed him to Bowie.
Shorebirdfan
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 15

PostPost #17 by Jordan Tuwiner » July 8th, 2012, 1:58 pm

osforlife wrote:So you are assuming that Schoop is going to make an adjustment at Bowie because he made an adjustment around this time last year at Frederick? I like this kid. He is going to be something, but he is clearly overmatched at Bowie. Start him again there next year.

Had a .781 OPS in June. He's only 20 years old. I'd expect him to struggle at AA. It shouldn't worry anyone right now and he's improving.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #18 by osforlife » July 8th, 2012, 3:06 pm

ofahn wrote:
osforlife wrote:he is clearly overmatched at Bowie

Please take a look at his stats at Frederick last year. He looked over matched THERE too until he figured it out and added 200 points to his OPS in about six weeks. That's why he's considered such a promising prospect.

And all I'am saying is just because he adjusted at Frederick doesn't mean he will do the same at Bowie.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 58

PostPost #19 by OriolesRedskins28 » July 8th, 2012, 5:01 pm

osforlife wrote:
ofahn wrote:
osforlife wrote:he is clearly overmatched at Bowie

Please take a look at his stats at Frederick last year. He looked over matched THERE too until he figured it out and added 200 points to his OPS in about six weeks. That's why he's considered such a promising prospect.

And all I'am saying is just because he adjusted at Frederick doesn't mean he will do the same at Bowie.

Schoop has already improved over the course of this season. He got off to a very slow start and has steadily improved as the year has gone on. He's hit 7 doubles and 5 home runs since the beginning of June. He's still not "tearing it up" but he has shown improvements thus far.
OriolesRedskins28
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #20 by Jordan Tuwiner » July 8th, 2012, 5:47 pm

Schoop just hit a solo homer for Bowie.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #21 by birdwatcher55 » July 9th, 2012, 5:13 am

Nice to see some talent emerging: Schoop, Hoes, Avery and Machado. With Reimold apparently ready to make a full recovery, I wonder if Markakis goes on the block this winter?? 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

What do you do with L.J. Hoes?

PostPost #22 by mikezpen » July 10th, 2012, 3:22 pm

Hoes is the ONE position player in the entire organization who is really hitting well and might be able to help the Orioles this year.He could bring speed, average and OBP to the top of the order, something the Orioles totally lack.Trouble is, he apparently failed to make it in the infield even though putting him there w/work out best for the O's. The outfield and DH are too cluttered for him to have a realistic chance of sticking there.

It appears to me that the Club is casting its lot w/Xavier Avery come hell or high water. Since the two are similar in make-up, it appears that Hoes is the odd man out.

I w/trade him but NOT in a deal for a 3-month rental.Otherwise, I'd hang on to him and see if how Avery does. If he doesn't look as if he'll hit enough, I'd let Hoes try out for LF next spring.Thoughts?
mikezpen
DSL Orioles

Re: What do you do with L.J. Hoes?

PostPost #23 by ofahn » July 10th, 2012, 3:31 pm

mikezpen wrote:he apparently failed to make it in the infield even though putting him there w/work out best for the O's.

I'd like to see the organization focus on defense FIRST and the bat second.

I agree that Hoes might be a good trade chip and would prefer him to converted (along with, maybe, Matusz) into Headley. A switch hitting good glove 3B that has some speed. A two year solution for a position we don't have an MLB ready prospect for at least the next two seasons.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

Re: What do you do with L.J. Hoes?

PostPost #24 by ljmillar22 » July 10th, 2012, 4:22 pm

hi there mikezpen, i posted this same question a couple of days ago in the minor league page forum, check out the comments on there dude. there are some great comments on there from alot of people.
ljmillar22
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

PostPost #25 by Jordan Tuwiner » July 10th, 2012, 4:24 pm

ljmillar22 wrote:hi there mikezpen, i posted this same question a couple of days ago in the minor league page forum, check out the comments on there dude. there are some great comments on there from alot of people.

Merged the two threads.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #26 by mikezpen » July 15th, 2012, 11:24 am

If he had the ABs to qualify, Hoes w/b leading the International League in hitting today. The leader is batting .321, Hoes is .322. His .848 OPS w/b 11th. Not bad for a punch and judy hitter.

This kid is going to be a good hitter for somebody pretty soon. The O's though, won't give him any love.I just hope they don't give him away for some 3-month rental.
mikezpen
DSL Orioles

PostPost #27 by Tucker Blair » July 15th, 2012, 11:56 am

Well the thing is, he might have potentially reached his ceiling talent wise. I'm not entirely sure how much growth he has left, albeit encouraging to see a player take the bull by the horns at a new level of play. I think many of us would agree that right now is the perfect time to see what they have in Hoes AND Avery. I think if they fall out of contention then they should absolutely call up one or both of them.

What you have with Hoes is a guy who makes contact a ton, does not hit for virtually any power at all, and is a little iffy on a position. I have not been entirely impressed with him in CF, and we already know he kind of did not work out at 2B. LF is the best option for him defensively.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 43

PostPost #28 by mikezpen » July 15th, 2012, 12:34 pm

He doesn't hit home runs; that's true. Maybe 7 or 8 a year.But he gets his extra base hits.

In 38 games at Bowie, Hoes has 10 doubles and 3 triples. Projected to 162 games, that's 42 doubles and 13 triples. With those numbers, he would have led the AL in three-baggers last year and been tenth in doubles.His .375 OBA at Norfolk is better than anything Roberts has done since 2007 and compares favorably with Brian's peak years. Maybe he's hit his ceiling, but if so, that's a pretty good ceiling. But he's only 22; maybe he hasn't.
mikezpen
DSL Orioles

PostPost #29 by Tucker Blair » July 15th, 2012, 12:42 pm

mikezpen wrote:He doesn't hit home runs; that's true. Maybe 7 or 8 a year.But he gets his extra base hits.

In 38 games at Bowie, Hoes has 10 doubles and 3 triples. Projected to 162 games, that's 42 doubles and 13 triples. With those numbers, he would have led the AL in three-baggers last year and been tenth in doubles.His .375 OBA at Norfolk is better than anything Roberts has done since 2007 and compares favorably with Brian's peak years. Maybe he's hit his ceiling, but if so, that's a pretty good ceiling. But he's only 22; maybe he hasn't.

Indeed he does hit a lot of doubles. I have watched a lot of him over the past couple years and most of his solid hits are to the gaps. It's hard to translate minor league stats to majors though. Like you said, he is a good player and if that is the ceiling then it's ok.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 43

PostPost #30 by OriolesRedskins28 » July 15th, 2012, 2:27 pm

Have they tried him at third base? I know his bat wouldn't project well there but if he could be at least average defensively he would be a welcomed addition to the team.
OriolesRedskins28
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PreviousNext

Return to Minor Leagues