Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Future's Game

Future's Game

PostPost #1 by Shorebirdfan » July 8th, 2012, 11:42 am

Today of course is the Future's Game in KC. The O's will be well represented with both Dylan Bundy and Manny Machado on the US roster. Lineups and pitching assisnments came out last night. Bundy is scheduled to pitch the 4th inning for the US squad. I was a little surprised to see Machado not in the starting lineup as the Reds Billy Hamilton got the nod at SS.

Machado is the higher rated prospect on every list I've ever seen, but Hamilton and his 100 SB play as better theater for the game. Even Ben Badler tweeted this morning that his breakfast this morning consisted of an hour talking Hamilton with Jim Callis interrupted by a few minutes of eating.

Hopefully Manny sees decent playing time later in the game.
Shorebirdfan
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 15

Re: Future's Game

PostPost #2 by Jordan Tuwiner » July 8th, 2012, 4:04 pm

Yeah it seems they just went with Hamilton because he's so exciting.

I'm sure Machado will still see around 4 innings.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #3 by OriolesRedskins28 » July 8th, 2012, 5:27 pm

Bundy looked like he had a really hard time with his off speed pitches in that inning, he had a couple hanging curveballs lined for hits and threw a couple changeups in the dirt. I guess it's good that he was able to work a scoreless inning even though he was struggling.
OriolesRedskins28
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #4 by birdwatcher55 » July 9th, 2012, 5:09 am

Machado had a nice game. Nice catch to hold a 6-5 lead and then ripped a two run double to left. 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #5 by Don » July 9th, 2012, 9:38 am

Dylan was not getting over his front side enough for my taste. It is nothing like his style when he was a prep, not really liking the changes that were made with his follow through at all. I think the loading and transition to the plate is more efficient and the angles are sound, but the release point and follow through needs to be ironed out and I do not blame him at all.

Getting more weight over would help place him in a path that would lead to a better release.

I tie the hangers to adrenaline and youth on the big stage. He is cool hand luke, but it was not surprise to see that rush on the mound. I care less about it honestly.

As far as the limiting pitches and not allowing to use a cut fastball "Cutter". I do not think it is dumb, but obtuse in the development of a pitcher. I get wanting to limit, but excluding is something that should not happen. Make it a "two strike only pitch" or "runners in scoring position". He needs to learn and unless you allow a full mix bag of goods, it stunts the growth. Even if you are doing it in the sake of improving the change up.

Manny has improved balance on times that he is caught off guard. Last season, he would have turned over a pitch with his his hands and gotten slightly on his front side prematurely. He was caught yesterday on the two strike pitch, but stayed back, keeping his hands on plane and muscle a double.

I like the fact that Manny has compacted his two strike stroke. His bat speed is even better than last season, be it for a slgihtly better path he would have took Rondon's 102 mph 430 into deep center. Slightly got under it and took it 390 ft with a deep fly out.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #6 by Rising O's » July 9th, 2012, 12:33 pm

So the Orioles are once again on the wrong path with a pitcher? How discouraging.
Rising O's
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #7 by Shorebirdfan » July 9th, 2012, 7:20 pm

If you read between the lines on twitter account of Dylan and Bobby's father, it would seem he feels that way too. I could be off base here, and he certainly never comes out and says it, but he often appears to comment based on other tweets out there in a way that says he is not please with the handling of both his boys.

I'm sure it is a tough situation for him. If I'm off my apology to all.
Shorebirdfan
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 15

Return to Minor Leagues