Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Chris Tillman: The Good, Bad, and Unknown

Chris Tillman: The Good, Bad, and Unknown

PostPost #1 by Jordan Tuwiner » July 9th, 2012, 10:05 am

http://orioles-nation.com/2012/07/09/ch ... ad-unkown/

This writeup is just some observations from Chris Tillman‘s most recent start. This is not a report because you need to see a few more outings before shaking out where he is at this time. His overall performance from the box score draws great reviews. But digging a bit deeper, Tillman still needs to find some consistency and improvements to maintain effectiveness over the long haul.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

Re: Chris Tillman: The Good, Bad, and Unknown

PostPost #2 by birdwatcher55 » July 9th, 2012, 11:50 am

I think you have to toss out Tillman's performance in Seattle and take it for what it was: a good effort against a predominant AAAA lineup. I want to see what he does against the likes of Detroit and Cleveland before I rush to annoint him as our new pitching savior 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #3 by Tucker Blair » July 9th, 2012, 11:51 am

birdwatcher55 wrote:I think you have to toss out Tillman's performance in Seattle and take it for what it was: a good effort against a predominant AAAA lineup. I want to see what he does against the likes of Detroit and Cleveland before I rush to annoint him as our new pitching savior 8-)

I disagree. This is the Majors. You don't toss out anything. I wouldn't use it as a benchmark for the future, but i don't throw it out.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

PostPost #4 by Rising O's » July 9th, 2012, 12:24 pm

Tillman is a perfect example of the Orioles destroying natural talent for some greater good. A 95 plus mph pitcher turned into a guy who could barely hit 90.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.ph ... y-arrives/
Rising O's
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #5 by birdwatcher55 » July 9th, 2012, 4:27 pm

He was roughed up today in Bowie. This was a dumb organizational move in my opinion. A side session would have been suffice 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #6 by Ampontan » July 9th, 2012, 11:39 pm

birdwatcher55 wrote:He was roughed up today in Bowie. This was a dumb organizational move in my opinion. A side session would have been suffice 8-)

It was, in effect, a side session, but against real players. He threw nothing but fastballs. He was only going to throw 70 anyway. I wouldn't read too much into it.
Ampontan
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #7 by thezeroes » July 10th, 2012, 6:07 pm

Ampontan wrote:
It was, in effect, a side session, but against real players. He threw nothing but fastballs. He was only going to throw 70 anyway. I wouldn't read too much into it.

This is what I had thought was the reason for the non than stellar box score line. As Buck has said and repeated often enough, "Pitching starts and ends with fastball command" so it would be reasonable to think that that was the reason for the start at Bowie. IMO.
thezeroes
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 38

PostPost #8 by BuckMagic » July 11th, 2012, 7:37 pm

Yeah, I am not putting too much stock into the start.

I am amazed at this sudden velocity and plan to enjoy it. I love flamethrowers and I believe if he continues to average 95 mph that will be in the top 10 highest FB averages? Is that correct?
BuckMagic
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #9 by Tucker Blair » July 11th, 2012, 7:44 pm

Tillman is the type of guy that you really need to watch before putting much thought into anything. It's really tough to do that sometimes, and I think a lot of us (including myself) get excited or frustrated from box scores we see.

Just have to train yourself to not get overly emotional on either side.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

PostPost #10 by Jordan Tuwiner » July 11th, 2012, 7:47 pm

BuckMagic wrote:Yeah, I am not putting too much stock into the start.

I am amazed at this sudden velocity and plan to enjoy it. I love flamethrowers and I believe if he continues to average 95 mph that will be in the top 10 highest FB averages? Is that correct?

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?p ... 0&sort=3,d

He'd be #3.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

Return to Baltimore Orioles