Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

O's Have Contacted Astros About Wandy Rodriguez

O's Have Contacted Astros About Wandy Rodriguez

PostPost #1 by ofahn » July 7th, 2012, 11:54 am

By Mike Axisa [July 7, 2012 at 11:09am CST]

The Orioles are in the thick of the hunt for a postseason berth and are looking to shore up their starting rotation. Yesterday we learned that they were "going hard" after Zack Greinke, and today Roch Kubatko of MASNSports.com (on Twitter) reports they've contacted the Astros about Wandy Rodriguez. Kubatko says GM Dan Duquette is talking to a lot of teams at the moment.

Rodriguez, 33, is one of a number of players Astros GM Jeff Luhnow is reportedly prepared to move. Carlos Lee was just traded to the Marlins and Brett Myers could be of interest to clubs in need of bullpen help. Wandy is no stranger to the trade rumor circuit and has pitched to a 3.54 ERA with his lowest strikeout rate (5.8 K/9) since his rookie year this season. He's owed approximately $5MM for the rest of 2012 and $13MM for 2014. His $13MM club option for 2014 becomes a player option if traded.

Baltimore got seven innings of one-run ball out of Miguel Gonzalez last night, but Brian Matusz was just demoted to Triple-A and Jake Arrieta owns a 6.13 ERA through 18 starts. The O's are 5.5 games back in the AL East but currently hold a 1.5 game lead on a wildcard spot. Adding a third reliable starter to Wei-Yin Chen and Jason Hammel figures to be Duquette's top priority leading up to the deadline.

I'd be fine with this kind of trade IF someone like Parker Bridwell was the primary piece in return. Although I don't think that Wandy is quite as good a pitcher as Grienke, the price should be a lot less since we would be taking on between 20 and 35M in salary obligation.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/07/o ... iguez.html
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

Re: O's Have Contacted Astros About Wandy Rodriguez

PostPost #2 by Jordan Tuwiner » July 7th, 2012, 11:56 am

I have no problem with Rodriguez at a pitcher but I don't see a reason to take on his salary. Especially since his 2014 option vests with a trade.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #3 by ofahn » July 7th, 2012, 12:07 pm

Jordan Tuwiner wrote:I have no problem with Rodriguez at a pitcher but I don't see a reason to take on his salary. Especially since his 2014 option vests with a trade.

I'd rather take on the salary obligation than give up some of the few legitimate prospects we have.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #4 by OriolesRedskins28 » July 7th, 2012, 4:24 pm

Wandy is a back of the rotation option in the AL East while Greinke is a Cy Young winner and a proven frontline starter even in the AL, I don't think the two are comparable. I certainly wouldn't want to give up any legit prospects for Wandy AND take on his ridiculously high 2013 salary.

Wandy's FIP has been around 4 the past few years in the NL, I have serious doubts about him successfully transitioning to the AL East.
OriolesRedskins28
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #5 by OriolesRedskins28 » July 7th, 2012, 4:33 pm

So if the deal is made the O's would essentially be paying a #4/5 starter $14 million in both 2013 and 2014. No thank you.
OriolesRedskins28
GCL Orioles

PostPost #6 by dan72 » July 7th, 2012, 7:34 pm

Of all the pitchers we could trade for, I think this is the most probable. Wandy will cost us fewer prospects than Greinke or Garza. Wandy is also the least talented of the bunch.
I am in favor of aquiring proven pitching so long as Bundy and Machado are off the table. This years team, given all of its faults could make the playoffs if a couple of pieces are added. I think you have to do something to address a power bat at one of the corners also to really compete.
Jones will need protection in the line up down the stretch. If I were an opposing teams I would pitch around Jones as needed.
Thome is not the answer for protecting Jones. Its clear to me that he has trouble catching up to a good fastball.
dan72
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #7 by Matt P » July 8th, 2012, 1:22 am

Go big or go home, get Greinke.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #8 by birdwatcher55 » July 8th, 2012, 9:53 am

Eat Wandy's salary and ship them a Thome like return. Might be a quick fix. Garza will cost more but he would be my second choice 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #9 by OriolesRedskins28 » July 8th, 2012, 10:39 am

birdwatcher55 wrote:Eat Wandy's salary and ship them a Thome like return. Might be a quick fix. Garza will cost more but he would be my second choice 8-)

You mean have the Astros eat Wandy's salary? Because the issue is that he will be payed $13 million next year and $13 million in 2014. That's a lot of salary to eat.

I would greatly prefer giving something up for Greinke with an eye toward extending him ASAP. Greinke would probably end up making $20 million per year with a 5/6 year commitment but at least they would be getting a proven AL frontline starter that would stabilize the rotation for years to come. Pitchers are big risks but the O's will have a lot of payroll freed up in the coming years with Roberts and Markakis' contracts being up (not to mention Kevin Gregg and Mark Reynolds' way too high salaries coming off the books next season). I'm sure some of that will go toward extending players like Wieters, but the point is more payroll should be available. It would certainly be better than giving a mega contract out like the ones Pujols and Fielder got even when accounting for the risk factor involved with pitchers.
OriolesRedskins28
GCL Orioles

PostPost #10 by Shorebirdfan » July 8th, 2012, 10:58 am

Taking on Wandy for two years at $13 million per is too high a price to pay. He's now 33 and although performing well lets remember its against the Cubs, Brewers and Pirates.

I feel like he would be overmatched in the AL East.
Shorebirdfan
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 15

PostPost #11 by ofahn » July 8th, 2012, 11:41 am

Shorebirdfan wrote:I feel like he would be overmatched in the AL East.

I feel the same way about Grienke.

I wish the team would focus on fixing the defense and allow Rick Peterson to try to fix the SP. We'd probably end up with same record at the end of the year and be in a better position for next year.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #12 by Shorebirdfan » July 8th, 2012, 11:47 am

ofahn wrote:
Shorebirdfan wrote:I feel like he would be overmatched in the AL East.

I feel the same way about Grienke.

I wish the team would focus on fixing the defense and allow Rick Peterson to try to fix the SP. We'd probably end up with same record at the end of the year and be in a better position for next year.

Not sure I agree on Grienke, but I agree with the rest of what you say. I think the recent losses to the Angels has me on the cusp of saying this season is done and being buyers in any way would be a waste. Let them do what they can with what they have and continue to develop for the long term future.
Shorebirdfan
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 15

PostPost #13 by ofahn » July 8th, 2012, 11:53 am

Shorebirdfan wrote:I think the recent losses to the Angels has me on the cusp of saying this season is done and being buyers in any way would be a waste.

Last night's game was a perfect example. Of course, you have to actually SCORE to win but the defense just KILLED us.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #14 by Zach » July 8th, 2012, 3:19 pm

The 2014 option doesn't actual vest if trade. It becomes a player option rather than a club option. That being said, it is a lot of money and given his age he would probably take it. I agree that he wouldn't be worth it.
Zach
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 3

PostPost #15 by Jordan Tuwiner » July 8th, 2012, 10:54 pm

Zach wrote:The 2014 option doesn't actual vest if trade. It becomes a player option rather than a club option. That being said, it is a lot of money and given his age he would probably take it. I agree that he wouldn't be worth it.

Thanks for the correction.

I agree that he would likely take that player option. He's already declining and a move to the AL East would only speed that up. Pass.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

Next

Return to Baltimore Orioles