Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

What are we going to do with LJ Hoes?

What are we going to do with LJ Hoes?

PostPost #1 by ljmillar22 » July 8th, 2012, 7:51 am

The kid has been raking in the hits at AAA and i think he is on a 17 game hit streak or something close to that.
The question is what are the O's plans for him as we have jones in CF, Markakis in RF and either reimold (when healthy) or Avery in LF, i cant see a fit there at the moment. Was there a reason that he was moved off 2B?
Any ideas people?????
ljmillar22
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

Re: What are we going to do with LJ Hoes?

PostPost #2 by ofahn » July 8th, 2012, 7:55 am

ljmillar22 wrote:Was there a reason that he was moved off 2B?

Let's just say he was "defensively challenged" at 2B. Having a young solid prospect without an obvious position on the ML team is a problem I wish we had more of.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #3 by dan72 » July 8th, 2012, 8:30 am

When comparing Hoes to Avery, I like Avery in every category accept Hoes may hit for a slightly higher average. Neither of these guys will hit for power. I can see using Hoes in a trade. Hoes will make someone a nice 4th outfielder, I doubt that he will ever be a starter. Avery I feel has a higher ceiling and is the guy I'd rather not trade.
There is no doubt Hoes gets on base and hits for a decent average, problem for him is that most teams are looking for power out of their corner outfielders. With Jones and Markakis locked up there isn't room for Hoes.
dan72
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #4 by ofahn » July 8th, 2012, 8:42 am

dan72 wrote:There is no doubt Hoes gets on base and hits for a decent average, problem for him is that most teams are looking for power out of their corner outfielders.

Hoes was being played in CF for a while this year. In fact, it was just about until they locked up Jones. He may not be the best defensive CF but he will be at least league average there and could be a plus lead off guy. That makes him POTENTIALLY more than a fourth OF and a more valuable trade chip.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #5 by Tucker Blair » July 8th, 2012, 11:02 am

I think Hoes could be a nice piece for a team. He can absolutely be a starter in the league. His contact and hit tools are good enough to be a 2nd level starter.

I've watched Hoes a bit this year and pretty much have always followed his career. Not entirely impressed with him in CF to be honest. Of course, I wasn't entirely impressed with him at 2B ether, although they should have just kept him there. As a corner OF, he simply is below average on the market. Not enough power or game changing ability there. As a CF or 2B he is a good piece.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

PostPost #6 by Shorebirdfan » July 8th, 2012, 11:13 am

TuckerBlair89 wrote:I think Hoes could be a nice piece for a team. He can absolutely be a starter in the league. His contact and hit tools are good enough to be a 2nd level starter.

I've watched Hoes a bit this year and pretty much have always followed his career. Not entirely impressed with him in CF to be honest. Of course, I wasn't entirely impressed with him at 2B ether, although they should have just kept him there. As a corner OF, he simply is below average on the market. Not enough power or game changing ability there. As a CF or 2B he is a good piece.

Important to remember that Hoes was an OF in high school and was drafted with the intent of moving to 2B. Obviously a failed experiment as he never took to the position. His hitting has come a long way since he was drafted but the defensive improvement (at any position) has not kept pace. Tucker hits on the key point, that as a 2B his prospect status is much higher than a corner OF where his power just doesn't project enough. I'd keep him at AAA and try moving him back to 2B where he could become a more valuable trade chip.
Shorebirdfan
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 15

PostPost #7 by ofahn » July 8th, 2012, 11:43 am

Shorebirdfan wrote:I'd keep him at AAA and try moving him back to 2B where he could become a more valuable trade chip.

Had you considered that Schoop will probably play 2B at AAA next year?
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #8 by Shorebirdfan » July 8th, 2012, 11:49 am

ofahn wrote:
Shorebirdfan wrote:I'd keep him at AAA and try moving him back to 2B where he could become a more valuable trade chip.

Yes I did. I simply meant for the rest of this season. See if he can be used in the off season in a deal to improve the club, much like the team moved Miclat, Henry, Martin and Henson this past off season. (well hopefully better than those deals worked out)
Shorebirdfan
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 15

PostPost #9 by ofahn » July 8th, 2012, 11:57 am

Shorebirdfan wrote:
ofahn wrote:

Yes I did. I simply meant for the rest of this season. See if he can be used in the off season in a deal to improve the club, much like the team moved Miclat, Henry, Martin and Henson this past off season. (well hopefully better than those deals worked out)

Good idea, although I could see the team packaging Hoes and Matusz (and maybe someone else - Bridwell?) to San Diego for Headley. That's a trade that would make sense for both teams.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #10 by osforlife » July 8th, 2012, 12:23 pm

ofahn wrote:

Whats the rush to move Schoop up with a stat line of .244/.306/.369?
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #11 by ofahn » July 8th, 2012, 12:29 pm

osforlife wrote:
ofahn wrote:

Whats the rush to move Schoop up with a stat line of .244/.306/.369?

First, he still has about 200 ABs left at AA this year and, second, I qualified my statement with probably.

IMO it's a reasonable assumption.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #12 by osforlife » July 8th, 2012, 12:37 pm

ofahn wrote:First, he still has about 200 ABs left at AA this year and, second, I qualified my statement with probably.

I'am not sure how you assume someone is going on a hot streak for his next 200 at-bats. I would assume he is going to produce about the same in his next 200 AB's as his first 300 AB's. Therefore, I assume Schoop will be back at AA for the start of next season.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #13 by ofahn » July 8th, 2012, 12:44 pm

osforlife wrote:
ofahn wrote:First, he still has about 200 ABs left at AA this year and, second, I qualified my statement with probably.

I'am not sure how you assume someone is going on a hot streak for his next 200 at-bats. I would assume he is going to produce about the same in his next 200 AB's as his first 300 AB's. Therefore, I assume Schoop will be back at AA for the start of next season.

Schoop has made adjustments at every level he's played at. In late July of last year he figured things out and went "on a hot streak" that lasted the rest of the season. Look at his OPS in the playoffs/ That's against the best players in the league.

Jonathon Schoop is not a highly respected prospect for nothing. An assumption is kind of a bet and I'm willing to bet on this kid.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #14 by osforlife » July 8th, 2012, 1:36 pm

ofahn wrote:
osforlife wrote:

Schoop has made adjustments at every level he's played at. In late July of last year he figured things out and went "on a hot streak" that lasted the rest of the season. Look at his OPS in the playoffs/ That's against the best players in the league.

Jonathon Schoop is not a highly respected prospect for nothing. An assumption is kind of a bet and I'm willing to bet on this kid.

So you are assuming that Schoop is going to make an adjustment at Bowie because he made an adjustment around this time last year at Frederick? I like this kid. He is going to be something, but he is clearly overmatched at Bowie. Start him again there next year.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #15 by ofahn » July 8th, 2012, 1:44 pm

osforlife wrote:he is clearly overmatched at Bowie

Please take a look at his stats at Frederick last year. He looked over matched THERE too until he figured it out and added 200 points to his OPS in about six weeks. That's why he's considered such a promising prospect.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Next

Return to Minor Leagues