Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Orioles “Going Hard” After Greinke

Orioles “Going Hard” After Greinke

PostPost #1 by ofahn » July 6th, 2012, 4:09 pm

By Ben Nicholson-Smith [July 6, 2012 at 3:46pm CST]

The Orioles are “going hard” after Brewers right-hander Zack Greinke, an MLB executive told Dan Connolly of the Baltimore Sun. The Orioles appear to be the most aggressive suitor for Greinke, but talks are preliminary, Connolly reports. Some believe the Orioles and Braves are most likely to land Greinke, Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com reports.

Brewers president of baseball operations Doug Melvin recently told ESPN.com's Jerry Crasnick that his team is "trying to win games and get back in the hunt." The Brewers may wait until after facing the Reds, Pirates and Cardinals to determine their course of action this summer.

Executive VP of baseball operations Dan Duquette "absolutely" has financial support from ownership to take on salary this season, Connolly reports. Greinke, who’s on track for free agency this offseason, earns $13.5MM in 2012. The Brewers could obtain two compensatory draft picks for losing Greinke to free agency, but no other team has the same opportunity under baseball’s new collective bargaining agreement.

Duquette recently told Steve Melewski of MASNsports.com that he'd like to improve his team's rotation if possible. Top prospects Manny Machado and Dylan Bundy are probably off-bounds in trade talks. “They look to be long-term solutions to help the Orioles," Duquette said. The Orioles don’t want to trade young pitching, Connolly reports.

Greinke, 28, has a 3.08 ERA with 8.8 K/9 and 2.0 BB/9 in 108 innings so far this year. Agent Casey Close has had some extensions talks with the Brewers on Greinke's behalf.

...and in related news the Titantic has just cabled that they plan on head butting an iceberg.

Let me get this straight. We plan on trading some of the few prospects we have for a head case SP that we won't even get a draft pick for just so we can finish the year in third instead of fifth.

Please wake me when this nightmare is over.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/07/o ... einke.html
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

Re: Orioles “Going Hard” After Greinke

PostPost #2 by dan72 » July 6th, 2012, 5:53 pm

Only if we can extend him does any of this make sense. I think quality starting pitching should be priority number 1 with corner infielders as priority 1a.
He is one of the top starters in all of baseball, in the prime of his career. Yes he is a head case but put that aside, he could be our ace for the next few years.

I will be curious to see what they are looking for in return.
dan72
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #3 by OriolesRedskins28 » July 6th, 2012, 6:01 pm

From Jerry Crasnick on twitter:

"Brian Matusz is one possible chip in a deal. #Orioles are down on him. #Brewers need to decide if scenery change could help him."

Who knows maybe a move from the AL East to the NL would do Matusz some good. As long as Bundy, Machado, Schoop, Avery, and Hoes stay put then I'm OK with going after Greinke.
OriolesRedskins28
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #4 by CSPitt17130 » July 6th, 2012, 6:06 pm

OriolesRedskins28 wrote:From Jerry Crasnick on twitter:

"Brian Matusz is one possible chip in a deal. #Orioles are down on him. #Brewers need to decide if scenery change could help him."

Who knows maybe a move from the AL East to the NL would do Matusz some good. As long as Bundy, Machado, Schoop, Avery, and Hoes stay put then I'm OK with going after Greinke.

I can't see a way Greinke comes here without Schoop going to Milwaukee.
CSPitt17130
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #5 by OriolesRedskins28 » July 6th, 2012, 6:15 pm

CSPitt17130 wrote:

Then he doesn't come here. No complaints from me, I would MUCH rather keep Schoop than get a half season of Greinke. Only way I want it to happen is if it's a lopsided trade in the Orioles advantage. I'm well aware that is almost guaranteed not to happen whether no trade takes place or the O's end up giving up something substantial for him. I think the Braves have a much better shot at him anyway because of their much deeper farm system, especially SP prospects.
OriolesRedskins28
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #6 by Rising O's » July 6th, 2012, 7:21 pm

I don't see a deal with the Orioles because Matusz, Schoop and say Hoes is not enough. If somehow a deal like that does go down overall the Orioles will look a lot better overall. They definitely become wild card contenders in the 2nd half but the longer the deal takes the fewer key starts Greinke will have to push them over the top.
Rising O's
GCL Orioles

PostPost #7 by ofahn » July 6th, 2012, 7:41 pm

Rising O's wrote:I don't see a deal with the Orioles because Matusz, Schoop and say Hoes is not enough. If somehow a deal like that does go down overall the Orioles will look a lot better overall. They definitely become wild card contenders in the 2nd half but the longer the deal takes the fewer key starts Greinke will have to push them over the top.

Why do you think that adding one slightly above average pitcher will fix ALL of our defense and consistent hitting problems?
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #8 by Jordan Tuwiner » July 6th, 2012, 10:09 pm

CSPitt17130 wrote:

Yup. And I'd be frustrated if that happens. At this point, I don't see a reason to trade for a SP like Greinke.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #9 by Tucker Blair » July 6th, 2012, 10:14 pm

I don't know why, but I would not be THAT upset if they traded for Grienke and he indeed signed an extension. I've always been a huge fan of him and I don't buy the "headcase" bullcrap. The guy can pitch, and Baltimore is not any bigger a market than Milwaukee or KC.

I do agree that Schoop is probably involved. I'm not going to say much about who makes the deal a bad deal, because it's way too early to even think about that right now.

I also am not saying I want it to happen, or that I even agree. I just would not be as upset.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

PostPost #10 by Rising O's » July 6th, 2012, 10:24 pm

I said it would make the Orioles better overall. Grienke plus the return of Britton and you possibly have a 1-4 that will keep the Orioles in most games. You get a consistent 6-7 innings allowing the bullpen to keep leads or allow for comebacks, something the Orioles have been able to do this year. Most importantly it pushes guys like Hunter, Matusz and Arrieta (and Eveland) out of the starting rotation. Those guys have accounted for 24 out of 38 losses but only 11 out of 44 wins. Huge effect just by not having those guys pitching every 3rd to 5th day.

If your top 3 win 70% of their decisions (like they are doing now), and if you can get a coin flip return from Tillman and Britton returning you sing happy songs.
Rising O's
GCL Orioles

PostPost #11 by Matt P » July 7th, 2012, 1:12 am

Trading for Greinke with an extension and trading for Greinke without an extension are two entirely different things. If you can extend him he is worth trading Schoop + Arrieta + Matusz + Hoes or whatever it would take to get him without including Bundy or Machado. Without an extension I wouldn't want to give up Schoop. If he comes with an extension it is a great decision to get him even if the team isn't going to compete this year as he would be the ace for as long as his extension lasts and chances are the O's will compete during his contract. Trade for him and overpay him to stay in Baltimore for the next 5 years.

Greinke - Hammel - Chen - Tillman - Britton ... that's a starting 5 that may be able to carry the team to the playoffs this season if Britton returns to form.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #12 by ofahn » July 7th, 2012, 11:46 am

TuckerBlair89 wrote:I don't know why, but I would not be THAT upset if they traded for Grienke and he indeed signed an extension. I've always been a huge fan of him and I don't buy the "headcase" bullcrap. The guy can pitch, and Baltimore is not any bigger a market than Milwaukee or KC.

Tucker,

I think you know that I have great respect for your baseball mind but I disagree with you about this. IMO Grienke is a #3 SP on a good team and we already have that in Chen and Hammel and they won't cost north of 15M a year. I just have serious doubts about how well he could handle pitching 72 games a year against the A L East; and that's before he's exposed to Texas, the Angels, and Detroit. I mean, even the Yankees have serious doubts about him.

We won't know what kind of salary he's looking for until this Winter but I have suspicions that he wants 120M over six years. IMO that's about two years and 60M more than a good contract.

I honestly believe that we would be better served to spend some of our limited resources on someone like Headley that will be here through at least 2014 and will help shore up a horrible defense than rent a pitcher. SP is one of the few areas we MIGHT be able to fill from within.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #13 by CSPitt17130 » July 7th, 2012, 2:47 pm

ofahn wrote:IMO Grienke is a #3 SP on a good team

Please explain how you came to this conclusion.
CSPitt17130
DSL Orioles

PostPost #14 by dan72 » July 7th, 2012, 7:50 pm

I agree with Matt P, trading with an extension makes or breaks the deal. Why is everyone so high on Schoop? Does anyone think that he will develop into a player that will have a greater value than Greinke? Same with Hoes? I seriously doubt that either of these guys will be all star caliber players.

Greinke is probably one of the top 20 starters in all of baseball. If you have a chance to aquire him with an extension than I'm good with that. Bundy and Machado would be the only guys completely off the table.
dan72
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #15 by Rising O's » July 7th, 2012, 9:08 pm

Well Matusz's game yesterday at least gives you hope he can make it.
Rising O's
GCL Orioles

Next

Return to Baltimore Orioles