Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Thoughts From Bowie 7/5/12

Thoughts From Bowie 7/5/12

PostPost #1 by Tucker Blair » July 5th, 2012, 11:45 pm

Jordan and I took the trip to Prince George's Stadium tonight.

A few notables:

Jake Pettit: It was my first time seeing him pitch. Just happened to never see him at any Frederick, Bowie games when he was on the mound. I'm not going to lie, he's probably not the biggest prospect in the world. He showed some nice things though. His curveball and change are actually not too shabby. He displayed a few very nice curves, and a few of the scouts sitting around jotted some notes after seeing them. His change works well at times, but his fastball is not good enough for it to really be effective. Again, first time seeing him so this is just based on tonight. But from what I saw, his fastball and change are not far enough apart for it to truly be deceptive. His fastball and change were primarily the ones that got hit.

Pat Egan: I have always liked Pat. He has a big frame and looks like a bulldog on the mound. I'd be scared to hit against him. The buzz has really worn off since the Brewers selected him in the Rule 5 draft. He's kind of old for AA, but I honestly think he's still somewhat intriguing. I'd like to see him in Norfolk to be honest. Overall, it was more the same with him tonight. Shows flashes but never really puts it all together.

Manny Machado: Need I say anything? He continuously drops my jaw when I see him play. His HR over the LF fence was gone in ANY ballpark on this planet. And on any other planet if Aliens play some form of baseball. Not only that, but his plate discipline and pitch recognition are on a different level than 90% (rough guess) of all players his age. He worked a walk tonight too. His defense is impressive too. While I will admit he doesn't have the top range that you typically want in a SS, he can make the routine plays with ease. His transfer on throws are rather exceptional. Jordan and I both let out a "wow" on one particular play up the middle.

Jonathan Schoop: Not much to really say about him from tonight. He had a nice double down the LF line. His bat speed is terrific, although his pitch recognition is not quite there yet (I've had this discussion with some on twitter as well). Clearly not on same level as Machado (not many are), but still very good. He misplayed a bloop to start out the game tonight. It was one of those weird sinking bloops right at him. A tough play, but I thought it probably should have been caught. Again, this guy is learning on the fly. Way too early for anyone to be pegging him as anything. He's a VERY good prospect. I just urge people to be patient with him.

It was an enjoyable night nonetheless. Machado's HR was WELL worth the trip.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

Re: Thoughts From Bowie 7/5/12

PostPost #2 by OriolesRedskins28 » July 6th, 2012, 12:55 am

TuckerBlair89 wrote:his plate discipline and pitch recognition are on a different level than 90% (rough guess) of all players his age.

Players his age or players in AA?
OriolesRedskins28
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #3 by Matt P » July 6th, 2012, 1:20 am

OriolesRedskins28 wrote:
TuckerBlair89 wrote:his plate discipline and pitch recognition are on a different level than 90% (rough guess) of all players his age.

He said inside your quote all players his age.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #4 by OriolesRedskins28 » July 7th, 2012, 11:10 am

Matt P wrote:
OriolesRedskins28 wrote:

He said inside your quote all players his age.

Yes I am able to read... Wanted to see if that was indeed what he meant.
OriolesRedskins28
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

Return to Minor Leagues