Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

#46 Prospect - Kyle Hudson

#46 Prospect - Kyle Hudson

PostPost #1 by Jordan Tuwiner » January 2nd, 2011, 9:39 pm

http://orioles-nation.com/?p=7812

The speedy outfielder and former Fighting Illini receiver, Kyle Hudson, comes in at #46 in our Top 50 Prospects Countdown.

Full top 50 list
46. Kyle Hudson
47. Sebastian Vader
48. Jarret Martin
49. Dudley Leonora
50. Justin Dalles
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

Re: #46 Prospect - Kyle Hudson

PostPost #2 by ShowalterPower » January 2nd, 2011, 11:55 pm

His arm strength is well below average though his speed and ability to cover the gaps helps his arm strength play up a bit.

What do you mean by this?
ShowalterPower
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

PostPost #3 by Jordan Tuwiner » January 3rd, 2011, 5:15 pm

ShowalterPower wrote:
His arm strength is well below average though his speed and ability to cover the gaps helps his arm strength play up a bit.

What do you mean by this?

In other words, he closes in very quickly on balls in the gap, restricting runners from taking the extra base despite his weak arm.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #4 by ShowalterPower » January 4th, 2011, 7:04 pm

Thanks. What do you ultimately see him becoming??
ShowalterPower
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

PostPost #5 by Shorebirdfan » January 4th, 2011, 8:57 pm

I think Hudson is going to need to improve a couple areas to have a chance at making the bigs. His speed is outstanding, but he does not have the best instincts in the OF and doesn't get a great jump on the ball off the bat. Offensively, his pitch selection is not good, and he needs to learn to drive the ball in order to use the gaps better in conjunction with his speed. Personally, I don't ever see him being a major league OF.
Shorebirdfan
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 15

PostPost #6 by Jordan Tuwiner » January 4th, 2011, 9:28 pm

Shorebirdfan wrote:I think Hudson is going to need to improve a couple areas to have a chance at making the bigs. His speed is outstanding, but he does not have the best instincts in the OF and doesn't get a great jump on the ball off the bat. Offensively, his pitch selection is not good, and he needs to learn to drive the ball in order to use the gaps better in conjunction with his speed. Personally, I don't ever see him being a major league OF.

I agree with most of this. I was actually very impressed with his reads and routes in the outfield. I believe I saw him 4 or 5 times last year. Agree with you on pitch selection; he always gets caught up in check & half swings especially with off speed stuff. The ball has started to jump of his bat but his power is minuscule and I'm not sure it will ever be more than it is now.

It's going to be very, very tough for him to ever become a full time starter but I believe his speed will ultimately get him the bigs as a reserve with the chance he sees time as a starter.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Return to Minor Leagues