Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Orioles agree to 2-year deal with Kevin Gregg

Orioles agree to 2-year deal with Kevin Gregg

PostPost #1 by Jordan Tuwiner » January 4th, 2011, 6:56 pm

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/sports/ ... gregg.html

Gregg was signed to a two-year deal worth $10 million with an option for a third year.

Post coming soon.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

Re: Orioles agree to 2-year deal with Kevin Gregg

PostPost #2 by Shorebirdfan » January 4th, 2011, 8:52 pm

I know there has been no AGon, no Carl Crawford and no Cliff Lee, but I cannot say enough about the job the front office has done in improving the roster this off season. 3/4ths of the infield is new, now a solid addition to the bullpen. It's been a good off season. Spring cannot come soon enough.
Shorebirdfan
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 15

PostPost #3 by Jordan Tuwiner » January 4th, 2011, 11:28 pm

Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #4 by Jordan Tuwiner » January 4th, 2011, 11:36 pm

Pros: Gregg gives Showalter some more weapons out of the pen and brings some closing/back-end bullpen experience to the club.

Cons: The Orioles are highly unlikely to get $10 million in value out of the deal. Camden Crazies explains it nicely. This post by Fangraphs titled "Relievers Are Not Worth Multi-Year Deals" proves just what the title says (highly recommended article). Gregg is highly unlikely to be worth his contract, but I do believe the O's need to make deals like this (slightly overpaying) in order to stay competitive.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #5 by DPR420 » January 5th, 2011, 8:15 am

I guess I have no problem with Gregg the player; he's a very average bullpen arm by definition, but I definitely have a problem with the contract. 2 years 10 mil is very expensive considering we could have snagged a player like Ohman for much less.

granted, the O's do need to overpay to get even the most average arms to come play, but from what I hear, Ohman was willing to come back on a one year deal.

overall, not a terrible signing, not a great one either. he's a pretty decent player and I hope he just stays as a setup man for his O's career and lets Koji handle the closer duties (barring injury).
get 'em.
DPR420
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

PostPost #6 by Don » January 5th, 2011, 12:44 pm

They were backed into a corner with Simon and the team cannot have a bullpen that has so much youth in it. The Orioles could end up keeping Rosario and some stability was a nice addition to the bullpen. Uehara is a low key guy that will be fine with either role and does not seem to be a vocal person that impact the club.

Kevin Gregg is not the ideal choice considering that it is basically a three year deal, if attains a significant bullpen role. I do not like it, but it beats going for Soriano for 3 years and 24 million, which is what is being told in circles.

The deal might blow up in the Orioles face, but the risk between these two and Gonzo should help stabilize the bullpen with all three remaining healthy. I like Gonzo and feel that he can bounce back. The bullpen sets up rather nicely because of its versatility, but I feel the need for another left handed pitcher is still a need for the bullpen.

Brian Fuentes, Will Ohman, Tim Byrdak, or Dennys Reyes would be worthy options for that role.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

Return to Baltimore Orioles