Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Orioles Prospects on the Rise

Orioles Prospects on the Rise

PostPost #1 by birdwatcher55 » July 3rd, 2012, 12:03 pm

http://orioles-nation.com/2012/07/03/or ... -the-rise/
With interest I read your list. Webb seems intriguing. Sounds a bit like Markakis with more upside on power??? 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

Re: Orioles Prospects on the Rise

PostPost #2 by Tucker Blair » July 3rd, 2012, 12:07 pm

While he has some similar traits, it's important to remember his age.
Markakis was that same age in the MLB.
Not a knock by any means on Webb! (Remember Markakis is the exception)

Also Webb does have some power, if/when he swings the bat. Webb is an unfinished product so I don't want to cement him into any comp or role just yet.

He's a really intriguing player though. I am curious to see how he performs power with the rest of this season.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

PostPost #3 by osforlife » July 3rd, 2012, 7:53 pm

I think it might be time to promote Webb to Frederick. The only thing that concerns me is the strikeouts but he seems to be a complete player. He has stolen 15 stolen bases, 8 homeruns, .429 OBP, and a cannon from right field. I like it !! :D
Hopefully, he can keep producing in as he moves onto higher challenges.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #4 by Tucker Blair » July 4th, 2012, 2:21 am

osforlife wrote:I think it might be time to promote Webb to Frederick. The only thing that concerns me is the strikeouts but he seems to be a complete player. He has stolen 15 stolen bases, 8 homeruns, .429 OBP, and a cannon from right field. I like it !! :D
Hopefully, he can keep producing in as he moves onto higher challenges.

I would agree, but I'd like to see him try a more swing the bat approach first at frederick.
He already has apparently started doing this (from what I see on the scorecard at least).

It's only a matter of time before he gets a shot at the next level.
He's really been a force recently.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

PostPost #5 by Shorebirdfan » July 4th, 2012, 6:58 am

I've been watching Webb the last season and a half, and what has been most impressive recently is his maturity at the plate. Last season he was pretty much a free swinger, and often offered up at some really bad pitches. This season he has become MUCH more patient at the plate, recognizing the strike zone much better and simply waiting for the game to come to him. This has lead to him making contact with more hittable pitches leading to the power we are seeing. I think its important to remember that pitching (and umpiring) at Low A often are not that good and most players could walk more if they simply remain patient. Honestly, I'm not sure what has sparked the change in Webb, but it is obvious in the field too. He has always had a cannon, but last season throws were inconsistent. Lately he has been pin point, and he is covering more ground agressively getting to balls and making outstanding diving catches. I did see him make a bad baserunning error last night, but those things happen.
Shorebirdfan
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 15

PostPost #6 by Tucker Blair » July 4th, 2012, 12:48 pm

Shorebirdfan wrote:I've been watching Webb the last season and a half, and what has been most impressive recently is his maturity at the plate. Last season he was pretty much a free swinger, and often offered up at some really bad pitches. This season he has become MUCH more patient at the plate, recognizing the strike zone much better and simply waiting for the game to come to him. This has lead to him making contact with more hittable pitches leading to the power we are seeing. I think its important to remember that pitching (and umpiring) at Low A often are not that good and most players could walk more if they simply remain patient. Honestly, I'm not sure what has sparked the change in Webb, but it is obvious in the field too. He has always had a cannon, but last season throws were inconsistent. Lately he has been pin point, and he is covering more ground agressively getting to balls and making outstanding diving catches. I did see him make a bad baserunning error last night, but those things happen.

It's good to see him go in a positive direction. Honestly, it was pretty tough picking between Narron and Webb for this.

I just really like that Webb has everything you want to see in a player. He's already worked on the consistency aspect much more this season. But the power/contact/defense is clearly getting better. We are glad to have you down there watching their games all week, that's for sure!
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Return to Minor Leagues