Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Matusz sent to AAA, Steve Johnson called up. Who will start?

Matusz sent to AAA, Steve Johnson called up. Who will start?

PostPost #1 by Matt P » July 2nd, 2012, 2:21 am

Brian Matusz has been horrible and rightfully has been demoted. Steve Johnson has pitched well in Norfolk both as a starter and a reliever and is finally getting his chance to prove himself at the big league level.

Will they call up both Britton and Tillman for rotation spots? Hunter and Matusz have both been demoted, Dana Eveland was bad against Cleveland, and Gonzalez was good against Cleveland but Duquette said they are not looking at him as a candidate to start. I think they like Eveland and will give him another shot. He did alright in his first chance against Tampa, was very good out of the pen as a long reliever, and was pitching on short rest in his most recent outing. I want to see Tillman and Britton both on the 25 man but I don't think both will be called up. It will depend on if they think Britton is ready and he had a great game today but had to many walks and will be pitching on normal rest. Tillman has been pitching very good in AAA and deserves a shot. Either way, if Arrieta doesn't pick his game up they will both get a chance soon.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

Re: Matusz sent to AAA, Steve Johnson called up. Who will start?

PostPost #2 by Rising O's » July 2nd, 2012, 8:07 am

Its easier to perform when you don't have pressure to succeed. That's why mop up duty should never be a reason to give a player a chance to start. Dana Eveland has shown nothing as a starter in his career to be given another chance, its just asking for another loss.

As a starter Tillman should be at the very least be the same as what they've gotten from the inconsistent 3-5 guys this year. There is nothing to lose, really.

What do you do with Arrieta now that Johnson is here? Someone has to start if Gonzalez is not. Jake was supposed to go to the pen, which I think could do him some good. You don't need two guys like Eveland and Gregg on your team.

DD needs to just do what is in the organization's best interests long term. The Thome trade tells me he's not willing to do that. And that trade really just boggles the mind. An old man, who may not be capable of playing 5 days a week at this point even as a DH when the biggest needs were top of the order hitters. Gah.

I'm very frustrated about this team right now, too bad the ASB is not starting today.
Rising O's
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #3 by birdwatcher55 » July 2nd, 2012, 12:07 pm

When I go to bed tonight, I'm going to get down on my knees and pray to God that I never see Brian Matusz pitch again in a Baltimore uniform 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #4 by EmeraldHorse » July 2nd, 2012, 1:23 pm

birdwatcher55 wrote:When I go to bed tonight, I'm going to get down on my knees and pray to God that I never see Brian Matusz pitch again in a Baltimore uniform 8-)

Why not just pray that Matusz figures things out and begins to pitch like he did in 2010?
EmeraldHorse
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

PostPost #5 by Tucker Blair » July 2nd, 2012, 2:50 pm

Tillman was already scratched from his start so sure seems he got the call.

I think he deserves it too, as Matt probably knows and agrees.
I mean at some point you have to either sink or swim with these guys, and Tillman deserves the chance just as much as Arrieta/Matusz/etc.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

PostPost #6 by osforlife » July 2nd, 2012, 3:46 pm

Why not just have Miguel Gonzalez start? He was very effective in long relief yesterday. I didn't get to watch him pitch, but he play-by-play made me think he lost it in the 9th a little bit but not to the point where he was getting shelled. He went down to the minors to get stretched out...for what?...another long relief assignment? Steve Johnson should have been starting in Norfolk the whole time. Hammel, Chen, Arrieta, ?,?
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #7 by Jordan Tuwiner » July 2nd, 2012, 11:21 pm

osforlife wrote:Why not just have Miguel Gonzalez start? He was very effective in long relief yesterday. I didn't get to watch him pitch, but he play-by-play made me think he lost it in the 9th a little bit but not to the point where he was getting shelled. He went down to the minors to get stretched out...for what?...another long relief assignment? Steve Johnson should have been starting in Norfolk the whole time. Hammel, Chen, Arrieta, ?,?

I would have Gonzalez start for now. But if Britton has one more solid outing at AAA I'd have him in the rotation. Hammel, Chen, Arrieta, Tillman, Britton/Gonzalez.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #8 by Matt P » July 3rd, 2012, 3:23 am

Very happy to see Tillman get the start Wednesday. I just hope the extra rest doesn't bother him. I would have pitched him tomorrow to bump Chen back a day.

There is a lot of talk it will be Britton on Friday which is also good to hear.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #9 by CSPitt17130 » July 3rd, 2012, 12:45 pm

I hope that the promotion of Tillman, and Britton when that comes, is because he has finished developing in the eyes of Peterson. If they feel he is ready, great. However, if he is getting the call because he is just the best option and Duquette wants to stick around in contention, he's doing exactly what he said he wouldn't do when he brought in the pitching depth over the offseason. Duquette is fooling himself if he thinks this team is going to stick around much longer, even with a few bandages like Thome. If Tillman, Britton, and Matusz would benefit from extended stays in Norfolk, then that's where they belong regardless of whether they are the best option for the ML club.
CSPitt17130
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #10 by Tucker Blair » July 3rd, 2012, 1:14 pm

I think it's a mixture of both to be honest. Tillman has shown some clear signs of refinement and progression, but he's also getting called up by default.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

Return to Baltimore Orioles