Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Looks like Tillman...

Looks like Tillman...

PostPost #1 by OriolesRedskins28 » July 2nd, 2012, 3:05 pm

From Steve Melewski on twitter:

"Tim Bascom will move up from AA to start tonight for Norfolk as Tillman will be skipped and possibly pitch Thursday for Orioles."

I am excited to see Tillman get back to the majors. Tillman hasn't produced numbers this good since 2009 for Norfolk (http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?pl ... P#advanced). This is including his early season struggles this year so he has been even better over his past 11 starts (more from Melewski on twitter: "If the Orioles do call Chris Tillman to start Thursday - has allowed 2 ER or less in 8 of last 11 games with 2.89 ERA in that time."). Rick Peterson seems to love him, Buck had good things to say about the way he came into spring training more prepared (physically and mentally) than in years past, and more recently (according to Melewski and Rock Kubatko) the O's have been pleased with his improved fastball command and other teams have inquired on his availability (not that that means too much though).

From last season Tillman had stretches of dominance later in the season as his fastball velocity increased to around 91-94. I'm certainly no scout but I recall him making Texiera look foolish on 3 pitches (2 swings and misses on a fastball and changeup) on one occasion in August although he did get lit up later in that start. Throughout the season even when he struggled it seemed like he was getting plenty of swings and misses on both his curveball and changeup when he located them well (which wasn't very often). If Tillman's velocity is back to a healthy level after having his delivery adjusted by Rick Peterson's biomechanical analysis, his fastball command has improved, and his ability to locate his offspeed pitches has improved then I think we will see a markedly different Chris Tillman on Thursday.
OriolesRedskins28
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

Re: Looks like Tillman...

PostPost #2 by Jordan Tuwiner » July 2nd, 2012, 3:34 pm

For Tillman to be effective he'll need to locate his fastball much better. His problem has always been the long ball and he got lucky with HRs last year. If he can do that and continue to show a plus curve and much improved changeup, I think we'll see some good things from him.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #3 by Tucker Blair » July 2nd, 2012, 3:41 pm

Jordan Tuwiner wrote:For Tillman to be effective he'll need to locate his fastball much better. His problem has always been the long ball and he got lucky with HRs last year. If he can do that and continue to show a plus curve and much improved changeup, I think we'll see some good things from him.

I like what I saw earlier this season when watching him.
He's always gonna live up in the zone (as don has pointed out to me various times).
But his 2S and change have been refined and he truly looked better.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

PostPost #4 by ofahn » July 2nd, 2012, 8:02 pm

TuckerBlair89 wrote:But his 2S and change have been refined and he truly looked better.

Tillman also needs to be more aggressive when he has two strikes on a batter. The nibbling at that point results in full count, center cut, fastballs that get crushed. It also costs him about 20 - 25 pitches an outing. I mean, for crying out loud, if your stuff is good enough to get the first two strikes then it's good enough to get the third one. If he ever figures that out he might be an effective ML SP; although I have my doubts he will ever trust his stuff enough.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #5 by Jordan Tuwiner » July 2nd, 2012, 11:26 pm

ofahn wrote:
TuckerBlair89 wrote:But his 2S and change have been refined and he truly looked better.

Tillman also needs to be more aggressive when he has two strikes on a batter. The nibbling at that point results in full count, center cut, fastballs that get crushed. It also costs him about 20 - 25 pitches an outing. I mean, for crying out loud, if your stuff is good enough to get the first two strikes then it's good enough to get the third one. If he ever figures that out he might be an effective ML SP; although I have my doubts he will ever trust his stuff enough.

That's a great point. Curve and changeup are both good enough to get swings and misses. We will see how he utilizes them on Wednesday.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #6 by Rising O's » July 4th, 2012, 3:28 pm

Only saw a few pitches in the 1st, consistently hitting 95, straight fastball but same velocity even low in the zone.
Rising O's
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #7 by Rising O's » July 4th, 2012, 3:34 pm

Nice K of Jaso fastball 96, tailing away.
Rising O's
GCL Orioles

PostPost #8 by Rising O's » July 4th, 2012, 3:35 pm

12-6 curve gets a fly ball out.
Rising O's
GCL Orioles

PostPost #9 by Rising O's » July 4th, 2012, 3:37 pm

Changing eye level on a 2-0 pitch gets a broken bat pop up. Saw the fastball, change and curve.
Rising O's
GCL Orioles

PostPost #10 by Rising O's » July 4th, 2012, 3:51 pm

Saw a little of the 3rd, easy tapper to 1st, then a dying fly ball to right that Davis made a diving catch on. Perfect through 3 for Tillman.
Rising O's
GCL Orioles

PostPost #11 by legmason » July 4th, 2012, 3:52 pm

Pretty impressive so far. Nice fastball even if it doesn't have a ton of movement it's got nice velocity and he's locating it well and jamming some folks. also seems to be getting some quick outs...not sure if the mariners are doing themselves in a bit or if that's Tillman's new approach but it's nice to see a low pitch count so far from him.

also pretty sweet catch by Davis to end the 3rd.
legmason
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 14

PostPost #12 by Rising O's » July 4th, 2012, 3:58 pm

Nice straight change got an easy ground ball from Ichiro.
Rising O's
GCL Orioles

PostPost #13 by Rising O's » July 4th, 2012, 4:07 pm

Nice K on the back door change. Then the tailing heat again to K Jaso. You could really see Tillman man up after falling behind that inning and just try to dominate after giving up the hit. 95 MPH.
Rising O's
GCL Orioles

PostPost #14 by Rising O's » July 4th, 2012, 4:14 pm

Pretty nasty foul ball off the mask of Montero. Hospital visit likely in order for safety precautions.
Rising O's
GCL Orioles

PostPost #15 by ofahn » July 4th, 2012, 4:17 pm

Rising O's wrote:Nice straight change got an easy ground ball from Ichiro.

Late movement on a 95 MPH can be devastating but, if you can't have that then a change with the same motion as the FB but 10 MPH slower can be very effective.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

Next

Return to Baltimore Orioles