Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Jaime Esquivel Impressive

Jaime Esquivel Impressive

PostPost #1 by Tucker Blair » July 1st, 2012, 7:55 pm

I attended Aberdeen/Staten Island game today.

Jaime Esquivel was extremely impressive. He's very much so a raw talent still, but he showed flashes of brilliance on the mound tonight. I'm certainly no pitching guru, but this is what I liked and didn't like from tonight.

The good:
The fastball/change combo he had working tonight was terrific. He was able to pump his fastball by at least 4 batters on my count for K's. This after setting them up with a nice change ~7-10 velocity change.
I also counted 10 times where the batter swung at a ball in the dirt (at least 8 of them were his curve). Really impressive and shows how deceptive he was tonight.
He ended with 8 K's, and after the 3rd inning he virtually shut down the yanks.

The Bad:
His first inning he allowed a solo HR to Saxon Butler. It was a fastball dead down the middle. Absolute bomb given up. Also not quite sure what he was attempting to do in this AB. Started with a Curveball that missed, followed by 2 fastballs.
Like I said, he is a super raw talent still. He's a little wild and in return had a rather terrible 3rd inning. He also had a wild pitch.

Don told me a few weeks ago that Esquivel had one of the higher ceilings in Aberdeen. I can sure see why now after getting the chance to see him in person.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

Re: Jaime Esquivel Impressive

PostPost #2 by OriolesRedskins28 » July 2nd, 2012, 2:06 pm

He had solid numbers last year in the GCL league (3.05 FIP and a solid K/BB ratio). I like that he keeps the walks down and is very projectable. He's definitely one of my favorite O's prospects.

What was his fastball hitting on the radar?
OriolesRedskins28
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

Re: Jaime Esquivel Impressive

PostPost #3 by Tucker Blair » July 2nd, 2012, 2:14 pm

OriolesRedskins28 wrote:He had solid numbers last year in the GCL league (3.05 FIP and a solid K/BB ratio). I like that he keeps the walks down and is very projectable. He's definitely one of my favorite O's prospects.

What was his fastball hitting on the radar?

Around 90MPH. He was very very erratic though. It's not entirely a bad thing since it keeps the hitters off-balance, but it's just weird. I'm talking like 87-92. It's my first time seeing him so can't draw too much conclusion from that. But boy, was he impressive his last two innings.

I'm certainly making another trip to Aberdeen for him this season.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

Return to Minor Leagues