Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Why would you send down one of the two OF on the team?

Why would you send down one of the two OF on the team?

PostPost #1 by Matt P » July 1st, 2012, 1:01 pm

I can see wanting to keep Pearce on the roster as he is very good against lefties and has no options left. But, there is no reason to hang onto Flaherty and his sub .500 OPS or Kevin Gregg over one of the two outfielders on the team. Who cares if Flaherty has to go back to the Cubs, he never did anything impressive in the minors and has done nothing impressive this season. Gregg is a sunk cost that makes no sense still being on the roster.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

Re: Why would you send down one of the two OF on the team?

PostPost #2 by birdwatcher55 » July 2nd, 2012, 12:08 pm

Flaherty has a big future :lol:
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #3 by Jordan Tuwiner » July 2nd, 2012, 11:13 pm

Matt P wrote:I can see wanting to keep Pearce on the roster as he is very good against lefties and has no options left. But, there is no reason to hang onto Flaherty and his sub .500 OPS or Kevin Gregg over one of the two outfielders on the team. Who cares if Flaherty has to go back to the Cubs, he never did anything impressive in the minors and has done nothing impressive this season. Gregg is a sunk cost that makes no sense still being on the roster.

I don't think anyone understands, really.

It doesn't make sense to see Duquette trade for Thome and then demote Avery. I think Avery gives the team a better chance to win than Pearce does. If the goal is wins then Avery should be playing here. If not, the minors is where he should be.

If Duquette's real goal is to win then keeping someone like Flaherty on the roster simply does not make sense at this point. He's clearly someone that, despite his versatility, is clearly not contributing positively to this team right now.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #4 by Shorebirdfan » July 2nd, 2012, 11:34 pm

In April Flaherty was a nice story. It is now July, lets move on and put the 25 players who can most help the tea win games on the roster. If so, we would see a lot more changes coming.
Shorebirdfan
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 15

PostPost #5 by osforlife » July 3rd, 2012, 7:55 am

Duquette is being very confusing to me at the moment. He seems to be in a buy/sell mindset. If we were complete buyers, Avery would be playing LF for us on a daily basis. But that is not the case. He seems to be trying to benefit short term and long term decisions. We aren't winning anything this year and we aren't a very good team. Terrible defense, terrible starting pitching, terrible speed. Why not keep Flaherty on the roster? He's not a valauble player right now but he could become one. Even with Avery we aren't going to the playoffs so what's the point? Let him finish out the year in Norfolk and then let him play everyday in 2013.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #6 by birdwatcher55 » July 4th, 2012, 12:20 am

I think Flaherty is here for the duration. DD likes him and he figures in our plans, probably more so now with Roberts back on DL and his future very much in doubt 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #7 by Matt P » July 4th, 2012, 4:04 am

I'll give Flaherty credit where credit is due as he has looked better recently at the plate. Some hard hit balls that aren't resulting in hits and some good at bats as well. He will make a couple of sensational diving catches in the OF and then the next game he will look completely lost and let a routine play drop in front of him. I don't know if it's playing time or what but he needs to figure out how to play LF and RF since he is obviously locked in as the 25th man for the entire season. Hopefully, when Markakis gets back they will keep Avery up and Flaherty won't have to play the OF much.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #8 by dan72 » July 4th, 2012, 5:21 pm

Flaherty does not deserve a roster spot. He can not hit at the big league level. He is an upgrade on Andino defensively.
Avery has proven to me that he can hit and field. Not sure why DD is so high on Pearce and Flaherty.
They are both expendable in my opinion.

I strongly agree with Jordans post. The goal should be to always win now. Avery gives you the best chance.
dan72
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #9 by ofahn » July 4th, 2012, 5:27 pm

dan72 wrote:Flaherty does not deserve a roster spot. He can not hit at the big league level. He is an upgrade on Andino defensively.
Avery has proven to me that he can hit and field. Not sure why DD is so high on Pearce and Flaherty.
They are both expendable in my opinion.

I strongly agree with Jordans post. The goal should be to always win now. Avery gives you the best chance.

Reynolds is the guy I would remove from the roster. You can't hide his glove anywhere and his bat has never come around this year. He's a memory at the end of the year.

Do you think you might be a little unfair to Flaherty? He really hasn't been given a chance to play everyday yet. I think you would see at least Andino numbers if he could.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #10 by Matt P » July 4th, 2012, 6:34 pm

The guy with the second highest OBP on the team who has the power to go on a surge at any time should be removed? LOL!
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #11 by ofahn » July 4th, 2012, 6:40 pm

Matt P wrote:The guy with the second highest OBP on the team who has the power to go on a surge at any time should be removed? LOL!

Did you REALLY think that through before you typed it?
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #12 by Jordan Tuwiner » July 4th, 2012, 6:47 pm

Matt P wrote:The guy with the second highest OBP on the team who has the power to go on a surge at any time should be removed? LOL!

They need to get rid of one of: Thome, Betemit, Davis, Reynolds. At this point, it makes most sense to move Reynolds.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #13 by ofahn » July 4th, 2012, 6:48 pm

Jordan Tuwiner wrote:At this point, it makes most sense to move Reynolds.

There just isn't anyplace to hide his glove and his bat isn't coming around this year.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #14 by thezeroes » July 4th, 2012, 8:27 pm

As the roster is currently constructed the Log Jam of DH types is apparent for all to see. As Jordan has stated the need arises to rid ourselves of at least on of Thome, Betemit, Davis, or Reynolds.

With the 15 Day DL having Markakis (Post All-Star Return), Endy Chavez, and Nick Johnson on it something will have to be done when they are ready to return. At that point you can add Chavez and Johnson to the Thome, Betemit, Davis, Reynolds Log Jam with the need to rid ourselves of two or three of these players.

Thome/Reynolds DH Platoon would work for two of these players.
Place Davis at 1B and leave him alone. Allow him to play every day and see what we get.
Betemit has no position that he endears himself to so he is expendable.
Chavez, Johnson have no place on the roster if you keep Avery/Pearce platoon in LF so they along with Betemit are expendable IMO
thezeroes
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 38

PostPost #15 by ofahn » July 4th, 2012, 8:58 pm

thezeroes wrote:Thome/Reynolds DH Platoon would work for two of these players.
Place Davis at 1B and leave him alone. Allow him to play every day and see what we get.
Betemit has no position that he endears himself to so he is expendable.
Chavez, Johnson have no place on the roster if you keep Avery/Pearce platoon in LF so they along with Betemit are expendable IMO

STATISTICALLY, a Thome/Reynolds DH Platoon gives you the best results but I wonder how Reynolds would react to it. He was very clear before this season that he didn't want to DH and now you're relegating him to the short side of a platoon. He'd be lucky to see 100 ABs the rest of the season. That might not work as well in practice as it does in theory. Although it's a very small sample, Pearce might be a better DH platoon with Thome and his glove is better than Reynolds.

I'd prefer to see Reynolds, Johnson, and Chavez go in that order along with Gregg and Eveland. Let's clear ALL of the deadwood from the team. Why Kevin Gregg is still on this team and Steve Johnson isn't escapes me. At least Eveland will probably clear waivers and return to Norfolk.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Next

Return to Baltimore Orioles