Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Orioles Sign Derrek Lee

Orioles Sign Derrek Lee

PostPost #1 by Jordan Tuwiner » December 31st, 2010, 3:56 pm

The Orioles have agreed to terms with first baseman Derek Lee. Terms of the deal are unknown. More to come.

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/sports/ ... h_lee.html
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

Re: Orioles Sign Derrek Lee

PostPost #2 by hsbaseballcoach » December 31st, 2010, 4:15 pm

Great sign! Lee improves the defense, should improve on his numbers from last year since he is healthy, the O's are not locked into a long-term bad contract, and if nothing else he could be moved at the trade deadline. I think this is a correct and necessary step back to the road of respectability. I like this more than if we were to get LaRouche for 3 years.
hsbaseballcoach
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

PostPost #3 by Shorebirdfan » December 31st, 2010, 4:36 pm

hsbaseballcoach wrote:Great sign! Lee improves the defense, should improve on his numbers from last year since he is healthy, the O's are not locked into a long-term bad contract, and if nothing else he could be moved at the trade deadline. I think this is a correct and necessary step back to the road of respectability. I like this more than if we were to get LaRouche for 3 years.

I agree and think that given the options that were left this is the best solution.
Shorebirdfan
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 15

PostPost #4 by BuckMagic » December 31st, 2010, 4:44 pm

hsbaseballcoach wrote:Great sign! Lee improves the defense, should improve on his numbers from last year since he is healthy, the O's are not locked into a long-term bad contract, and if nothing else he could be moved at the trade deadline. I think this is a correct and necessary step back to the road of respectability. I like this more than if we were to get LaRouche for 3 years.

The bolded words are what I like best about this. LaRoche for 3 years would have been a terrible, terrible contract. Solid job by MacPhail.
BuckMagic
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #5 by Jordan Tuwiner » December 31st, 2010, 4:56 pm

Jon Heyman wrote:early word seems to suggest derrek lee got close to $8 mil on 1-year deal (maybe 7.5-8) from #o's but that is unconfirmed
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #6 by CamdenRevival » December 31st, 2010, 6:37 pm

Despite not getting VMart or Dunn (neither of whom I was 100% sold on anyway), this has been a great offseason for the Orioles. They should expect huge improvement at every infield position (including 2B with a hopefully healthier BRob). Combine the new additions with the OFs and Wieters gaining a year of age and experience and couple that with the fast-maturing starters and this team should be sooo much better than 2010. Meanwhile, every other team in the division except for the BoSox had poor offseasons. Yanks all got a year older, pissed off their captain, could lose their #2 start to retirement, and missed out on their top FA target. Devil Rays lost Crawford, Pena, and pretty much their entire pen. And the Jays lost Marcum, Buck and likely Kevin Gregg.

Like I said, this has been a great offseason.
CamdenRevival
DSL Orioles

PostPost #7 by slob » January 1st, 2011, 12:55 am

yessir ,agree with that last post.mcphail has made good moves since he's been here.i really believe we're going to be competitive.2011 is going to be a great year!!
slob
DSL Orioles

PostPost #8 by Jordan Tuwiner » January 1st, 2011, 1:36 am

CamdenRevival wrote:Despite not getting VMart or Dunn (neither of whom I was 100% sold on anyway), this has been a great offseason for the Orioles. They should expect huge improvement at every infield position (including 2B with a hopefully healthier BRob). Combine the new additions with the OFs and Wieters gaining a year of age and experience and couple that with the fast-maturing starters and this team should be sooo much better than 2010. Meanwhile, every other team in the division except for the BoSox had poor offseasons. Yanks all got a year older, pissed off their captain, could lose their #2 start to retirement, and missed out on their top FA target. Devil Rays lost Crawford, Pena, and pretty much their entire pen. And the Jays lost Marcum, Buck and likely Kevin Gregg.

Like I said, this has been a great offseason.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Red Sox should take the division easily but what happens beyond that...who knows.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #9 by Jordan Tuwiner » January 1st, 2011, 1:36 am

Adam Jones likes the move!
I just seen that we signed D. Lee. Great move. Great guy. Couldnt be happier. So imma celebrate in Vegas to bring in the New Year. #2011
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #10 by Jordan Tuwiner » January 3rd, 2011, 5:13 pm

Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Return to Baltimore Orioles