Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Miguel Gonzalez scratched from AAA start

Miguel Gonzalez scratched from AAA start

PostPost #1 by Jordan Tuwiner » June 30th, 2012, 6:59 pm

He's likely on his way to Baltimore.

Would honestly like to see him get a start before the All-Star break with the way Hunter and Eveland have pitched.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

Re: Miguel Gonzalez scratched from AAA start

PostPost #2 by Matt P » July 1st, 2012, 1:07 am

I'm assuming he will be the long reliever tomorrow and will take over Hunter's spot in the rotation. With Tillman pitching well and Britton coming around there has to be some pressure on Matusz and Arrieta.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #3 by birdwatcher55 » July 1st, 2012, 7:21 am

Been recalled. Would rather see Tillman but as someone on OH noted recently, perhaps the Orioles are keeping him in Norfolk to continue to build on his trade value.. 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #4 by wingman12333 » July 1st, 2012, 7:37 am

Tillman and Gonzalez can't do any worse than the likes of Hunter, Eveland, and Matusz.
wingman12333
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

PostPost #5 by Jordan Tuwiner » July 2nd, 2012, 11:18 pm

wingman12333 wrote:Tillman and Gonzalez can't do any worse than the likes of Hunter, Eveland, and Matusz.

Exactly. Some saying it's silly to just let Tillman sink or swim. But at this point, I'd rather see that than know that Matusz is going to get shelled each time out.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #6 by OriolesRedskins28 » July 4th, 2012, 8:57 pm

It looks like it's between Gonzalez and Eveland for the start on Friday. I for one think it's a no contest, Gonzalez definitely deserves the start while Eveland has proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that he should NEVER start for a ML club. NEVER.
OriolesRedskins28
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #7 by ofahn » July 4th, 2012, 9:01 pm

OriolesRedskins28 wrote:It looks like it's between Gonzalez and Eveland for the start on Friday. I for one think it's a no contest, Gonzalez definitely deserves the start while Eveland has proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that he should NEVER start for a ML club. NEVER.

I'd like to see Eveland and Kevin Gregg's roster spots go Steve Johnson and a bench player. I think the team would improve by doing so.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #8 by OriolesRedskins28 » July 5th, 2012, 12:11 pm

ofahn wrote:
OriolesRedskins28 wrote:It looks like it's between Gonzalez and Eveland for the start on Friday. I for one think it's a no contest, Gonzalez definitely deserves the start while Eveland has proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that he should NEVER start for a ML club. NEVER.

I'd like to see Eveland and Kevin Gregg's roster spots go Steve Johnson and a bench player. I think the team would improve by doing so.

Steve Johnson has had success this year at AAA, I can't imagine him being any worse than Eveland. They aren't even helping Johnson from a development stand point, he's not even in the AAA rotation! I would love to see him and any bench player replace those two. I would also add Mark Reynolds to that group. Not sure who would replace him but he is not producing anything positive at this point. I would rather keep Joe Mahoney on the 25 man roster than Reynolds for goodness sakes.
OriolesRedskins28
GCL Orioles

PostPost #9 by Matt P » July 6th, 2012, 1:10 am

If he pitches 4 innings tomorrow he will be the 4th best pitcher on the staff.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #10 by OriolesRedskins28 » July 6th, 2012, 11:40 am

Steve Melewski just wrote a great piece with an interview with Rick Peterson highlighting his use of biomechanical analysis in the improvement of pitchers' deliveries specifically about Chris Tillman but he mentioned Socolocovich and Gonzalez as well:

"If you get a high-end velocity talent like Chris, and then you get the delivery clean, you start to see higher velocities and you see them maintained. (Miguel) Socolovich is a prime example and Miguel Gonzalez is an example of guys that have made these adjustments."

THIS is one of the reasons I believe in almost any pitcher who has come out of nowhere to have great success this year in AAA like Pomeranz before he got hurt, Gonzalez, and Socolocovich. It will be interesting to see what Gonzalez can do tonight, if he can be a stop gap in the rotation for a week or two that would be a huge development for the club. I wouldn't mind seeing Socolocovich take either Kevin Gregg or Luis Ayala's spot in the bullpen as well. He has a sub 3 FIP in Norfolk. I don't think he would be a shutdown ML reliever but he could at least best Gregg and Ayala's performances.
OriolesRedskins28
GCL Orioles

PostPost #11 by Tucker Blair » July 6th, 2012, 12:02 pm

I've watched Socolovich a few times on Milb.tv and been impressed.
He has a live arm and I'd like to see him up too.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 43

PostPost #12 by ofahn » July 6th, 2012, 12:02 pm

OriolesRedskins28 wrote:Socolocovich take either Kevin Gregg or Luis Ayala's spot in the bullpen as well.

I'm not willing to give up on Ayala yet, but I have ABSOLUTELY NO IDEA why Kevin Gregg is still on this team.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #13 by Tucker Blair » July 6th, 2012, 12:08 pm

ofahn wrote:
OriolesRedskins28 wrote:Socolocovich take either Kevin Gregg or Luis Ayala's spot in the bullpen as well.

I'm not willing to give up on Ayala yet, but I have ABSOLUTELY NO IDEA why Kevin Gregg is still on this team.

5.6 Million reasons!
Hate to say it, but that's the real reason. However, the A's were willing to throw in the towel with Brian Fuentes. The Orioles should be too.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 43

PostPost #14 by ofahn » July 6th, 2012, 12:45 pm

TuckerBlair89 wrote:
ofahn wrote:

5.6 Million reasons!
Hate to say it, but that's the real reason. However, the A's were willing to throw in the towel with Brian Fuentes. The Orioles should be too.

Yeah, it was a rhetorical question, but the FO should be honest with the fans and tell them that refusing to eat the sunk cost on Gregg is more important to them than winning.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #15 by Rising O's » July 6th, 2012, 10:28 pm

Nice game from Gonzalez tonight. Only giving up a run on a 3-1 pitch. He looks good out there. O's need to score for him.
Rising O's
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 10

Next

Return to Baltimore Orioles