Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Game 118: Red Sox @ Orioles - 8/16/2012

Game 118: Red Sox @ Orioles - 8/16/2012

PostPost #1 by ofahn » August 16th, 2012, 6:06 am

I wonder which Tillman will show up tonight?
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

Re: Game 118: Red Sox @ Orioles - 8/16/2012

PostPost #2 by osforlife » August 16th, 2012, 11:59 am

Well, in his last start, Chris had to wait another 3 hours to throw his first pitch, so that could have been the reason everything was up in the zone. I'am looking for a bounce-back outing.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 58

PostPost #3 by ofahn » August 16th, 2012, 12:33 pm

osforlife wrote:Well, in his last start, Chris had to wait another 3 hours to throw his first pitch, so that could have been the reason everything was up in the zone.

I was thinking the same thing as I waited for the game to start, but the KC pitcher didn't seem affected by it.

There's a lot of talent in that right arm. He just needs to stop over thinking the process and trust his ability. He's got two very good catchers, a good pitching coach, and a manager that has a better than average understanding of how to pitch. Let THEM do the thinking.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #4 by OriolesRedskins28 » August 16th, 2012, 4:21 pm

Tillman has disappointed me his last few outings. He had the flu effect him for a couple starts and then as you mentioned there was the long layoff due to the rain delay in his last start, but now he is out of excuses. This will be a big test for him.
OriolesRedskins28
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #5 by ofahn » August 16th, 2012, 4:43 pm

OriolesRedskins28 wrote:Tillman has disappointed me his last few outings. He had the flu effect him for a couple starts and then as you mentioned there was the long layoff due to the rain delay in his last start, but now he is out of excuses. This will be a big test for him.

I believe his outing before this last disappointment was a good one. That being said, he needs to show some consistency to be considered a pillar in our future rotation.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #6 by ofahn » August 16th, 2012, 7:07 pm

Nibble, nibble, nibble. So much talent. So little confidence.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #7 by ofahn » August 16th, 2012, 7:58 pm

Kevin Gregg. Hold....your....breath.................
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #8 by OriolesRedskins28 » August 17th, 2012, 1:19 am

ofahn wrote:Kevin Gregg. Hold....your....breath.................

It was Ayala who let the game get away tonight, his stuff leaves a LOT to be desired. I still think Machado could have made the play on Pedroia's slow roller but that's the game you play with Ayala because he has so little margin for error. He likes to pitch around hitters to get to a more favorable match up but if the guy he's supposed to get out somehow gets on base, all hell can break loose.

Tillman was maddening tonight. The two out four pitch walk to Punto in the 2nd was terrible. As you said Ofahn he nibbled the whole night rather than going after anyone. Jim Palmer made the comment that he played around with the offspeed stuff too much and should have trusted his fastball more and I agree.

It seems like the further removed he gets from working with Mike Griffin and Rick Peterson at AAA the more he reverts to the old Tillman of inconsistent fastball command, poor offspeed location, and terrible pitch efficiency. He still is just 24 so hopefully he will mature as he gets more ML experience. Clay Bucholz for example didn't really figure it out until his age 25/26 season.

On a side not, Nick Markakis had another bone headed mistake in this game with his pathetic bunt attempt. That changed the complexion of the game, had he gotten the bunt down it would have been 2nd and 3rd w/ one out and Hardy's single would have plated one and likely left runners on the corners w/ one down. Easily could have changed the outcome of the game. This marks the third boneheaded mistake by Markakis that I can recall in the past couple of months with the others being a dropped fly ball in foul territory a few games ago and the baserunning blunder that cost the O's a game about a month ago. He's usually very consistent but hopefully these type of mistakes won't become a trend for him.
OriolesRedskins28
GCL Orioles

PostPost #9 by Matt P » August 17th, 2012, 2:01 am

Another rough outing for Tillman. The only good thing to take away from his outing tonight was that his velocity was good. He was getting ahead but just couldn't finish them off. It was like watching a Tillman outing from the last 2 years except better velocity as he struggled to get through 4 innings but did with 80+ pitches and only giving up 1 run. Then, gave up 2 in the 5th and was out before he could finish the 5th inning. It seemed like he used to always go 5-6 innings giving up 1 or 2 runs until giving up 2 or more in his final inning. Let's hope these last 2 games are not a sign of things to come.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #10 by Matt P » August 17th, 2012, 2:01 am

Also, what the heck was Markakis thinking? Buchholz may unravel if he gives up a hit there and instead he tries to bunt. What a disappointing inning.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #11 by OriolesRedskins28 » August 17th, 2012, 2:09 am

Matt P wrote:Also, what the heck was Markakis thinking? Buchholz may unravel if he gives up a hit there and instead he tries to bunt. What a disappointing inning.

Bucholz is a groundball pitcher and Markakis hits plenty of grounders so seeing him bunt to stay out of the double play didn't bother me all that much. The poor execution is what bothered me. I would have preferred to see him swing away in that situation but the decision itself didn't bother me that much.
OriolesRedskins28
GCL Orioles

PostPost #12 by Matt P » August 17th, 2012, 2:25 am

OriolesRedskins28 wrote:
Bucholz is a groundball pitcher and Markakis hits plenty of grounders so seeing him bunt to stay out of the double play didn't bother me all that much. The poor execution is what bothered me. I would have preferred to see him swing away in that situation but the decision itself didn't bother me that much.

He was on the ropes though and Markakis has been one of the best hitters in baseball since his return. It was a horrible decision IMO.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Return to Game Threads