Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

WWBA Article

WWBA Article

PostPost #1 by ddthom » November 15th, 2011, 1:21 pm

Hi everyone. New poster here, big on the draft. I have to ask (maybe there is a better place, if so let me know!), did the person that wrote the WWBA piece see all of the players at the event? Im asking because the writeups were all general and didnt seem like they were specifically related to the Jupiter performance.

Baseballamerica.com released their top high school players today so I was poking around to see what I can learn about them, and found the WWBA article.

Thoughts???
ddthom
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

Re: WWBA Article

PostPost #2 by ddthom » November 15th, 2011, 1:26 pm

Sorry another one more question. I reread the article and it says the author is an area scout? That is wrong right? Is he a FORMER scout? How could a current scout give away info on players he scouts?

Sorry for all the questions.
ddthom
DSL Orioles

PostPost #3 by Jordan Tuwiner » November 15th, 2011, 2:16 pm

ddthom wrote:Hi everyone. New poster here, big on the draft. I have to ask (maybe there is a better place, if so let me know!), did the person that wrote the WWBA piece see all of the players at the event? Im asking because the writeups were all general and didnt seem like they were specifically related to the Jupiter performance.

Baseballamerica.com released their top high school players today so I was poking around to see what I can learn about them, and found the WWBA article.

Thoughts???

I am not Don, but yes, his observations were based off what he saw at the event, I believe. He'll be here sometime soon to clarify for sure, though.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #4 by Jordan Tuwiner » November 15th, 2011, 2:18 pm

ddthom wrote:Sorry another one more question. I reread the article and it says the author is an area scout? That is wrong right? Is he a FORMER scout? How could a current scout give away info on players he scouts?

Yes, Don is currently a scout for a National League team. Of course, the team he scouts for cannot be released. But that is why he's able to hand out information here at ON
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #5 by ddthom » November 15th, 2011, 2:20 pm

Jordan wrote:
ddthom wrote:Hi everyone. New poster here, big on the draft. I have to ask (maybe there is a better place, if so let me know!), did the person that wrote the WWBA piece see all of the players at the event? Im asking because the writeups were all general and didnt seem like they were specifically related to the Jupiter performance.

Thoughts???

I am not Don, but yes, his observations were based off what he saw at the event, I believe. He'll be here sometime soon to clarify for sure, though.

Cool. Do you run this site? How did you get an area scout to scout for you? I've only talked to a couple of area scouts but they were both busy and said they were at games most of the week from march through october! or is he a former area scout?

Thanks again.
ddthom
DSL Orioles

PostPost #6 by Don » November 15th, 2011, 4:18 pm

My reports are dulled down quite a bit, I do not provide my more detailed information on public forums, my top players might have quite a few pages of information on them (pitch by pitch), (at bat by at bat), etc.... What I will say here on ON is just a basic guideline of what prospects bring to the table. Right before the draft, I will break down the likely selections over a boarder graded system (simply top ten)

I provide my two cents about guys that I see and I get assigned from time to time over the Eastern and Carolina leagues for overlap, so you may see some things about players in July.

I am constantly busy and you will see that most of my traffic is off-season, most of the time I am out from February to early October, but have assignments over the summer and circuits are not every day.

I do this because it is a nice throw back bit for interaction.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #7 by ddthom » November 15th, 2011, 8:49 pm

Don wrote:My reports are dulled down quite a bit, I do not provide my more detailed information on public forums, my top players might have quite a few pages of information on them (pitch by pitch), (at bat by at bat), etc.... What I will say here on ON is just a basic guideline of what prospects bring to the table. Right before the draft, I will break down the likely selections over a boarder graded system (simply top ten)

I provide my two cents about guys that I see and I get assigned from time to time over the Eastern and Carolina leagues for overlap, so you may see some things about players in July.

I am constantly busy and you will see that most of my traffic is off-season, most of the time I am out from February to early October, but have assignments over the summer and circuits are not every day.

I do this because it is a nice throw back bit for interaction.

Cool, thanks for responding! I guess you do draft stuff but also do minor league scouting? I never thought a major league team would let their scouts writeup players for a website but its cool that you can do that. If you do carolina and eastern league are you on the east coast? It looks like you were writing up draft players from california and ohio too. Are they playing against east coast teams and that's how you saw them?

Sorry for all the questions. My friend interned with a team this last year which was our first out of college, and he is trying to get into scouting. They were really strict with what he was allowed to do and who he was allowed to talk to and stuff like that so thats why i was just curious about how you could do both.

Also I was reading baseballamerica.com's top 100 highschool players list and was trying to learn about them but couldnt tell if your article was broad or specific because it sounded like you were writing about how they usually play and not how they were playing in the tournament you covered.

Thanks again.
ddthom
DSL Orioles

PostPost #8 by ddthom » November 15th, 2011, 8:56 pm

Jordan wrote:
ddthom wrote:Sorry another one more question. I reread the article and it says the author is an area scout? That is wrong right? Is he a FORMER scout? How could a current scout give away info on players he scouts?

Yes, Don is currently a scout for a National League team. Of course, the team he scouts for cannot be released. But that is why he's able to hand out information here at ON

That's cool he can do that. My friend was interning for a team and they didnt let their area scouts do any baseball activities for anyone else. He said that was standard and in all area scout contracts. I was thinking about trying to start a draft site and asked him if he wanted to help and thats when he told me he couldn't because he wanted to be an area scout.
ddthom
DSL Orioles

PostPost #9 by Old Sneakers » November 30th, 2011, 6:11 am

Really want to toss a big "Thank You" to Don. Since i've been coming here what he is able to pass on has been very insightful and very enjoyable to read. His presence really adds a great deal to the site.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 32

PostPost #10 by Don » December 5th, 2011, 8:42 pm

Thank you very much...
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

Return to MLB Draft