Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Looks like #4

Looks like #4

PostPost #1 by Rising O's » September 25th, 2011, 4:54 pm

Unless we lose all 3 to Boston and Seattle wins 2. That's how I read the records as of this afternoon. So basically we can root on the O's to win all 3 and potentially KO Boston from playoff contention. Maybe its not all bad to be an Orioles fan. Go Orioles.
Rising O's
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 10

Re: Looks like #4

PostPost #2 by Jordan Tuwiner » September 26th, 2011, 9:04 pm

Rising O's wrote:Unless we lose all 3 to Boston and Seattle wins 2. That's how I read the records as of this afternoon. So basically we can root on the O's to win all 3 and potentially KO Boston from playoff contention. Maybe its not all bad to be an Orioles fan. Go Orioles.

Yup, looks like it'll be pick #4.

Don will have a ton of draft info coming in the next few weeks, so we'll get an early look at targets for #4.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #3 by Rising O's » September 27th, 2011, 10:04 pm

It looks like a year where we need a couple of HSers to pull Machado's otherwise #4 might be the wrong spot to be in. Some of these college players just don't do much for me. Only about half a year until the fun starts all over again.
Rising O's
GCL Orioles

PostPost #4 by OriolesRedskins28 » September 28th, 2011, 5:22 pm

Rising O's wrote:It looks like a year where we need a couple of HSers to pull Machado's otherwise #4 might be the wrong spot to be in. Some of these college players just don't do much for me. Only about half a year until the fun starts all over again.

It's too early to tell which players are worthy of such a high draft pick, but personally I would prefer a college player who could move quickly through the system to hopefully reach the big leagues around the same time as Machado/Schoop/Bundys. Only if there isn't a HS player who is clearly better, but all things even I would prefer a fast mover (although I would love to get HS OF Nick Williams).
OriolesRedskins28
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #5 by Rising O's » September 29th, 2011, 12:45 am

Nick is one of the guys we need to prove himself to be easy top 4. I want it to be a no brain selection again, just like when we picked Machado.
Rising O's
GCL Orioles

PostPost #6 by Jordan Tuwiner » September 29th, 2011, 11:06 pm

I haven't read much about the 2012 guys aside from what Don has posted. His report of Williams does seem promising:
Nick Williams – OF, Galveston Ball HS (TX)
Could be one of the most explosive, athletic players out of the 2012 high school ranks; he’s a pleasant surprise at the plate. Short, compact swing with great bat speed that generates power and pop. He was a hitting machine in the batting cage, but will need to transition those skills into game situations against tougher pitching. He shows the foundation to hit for average and power. In game action, he is raw and very much a free swinger. His bat speed makes up for a lot of ground in other areas.

Don, top 5 material?
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #7 by Don » October 1st, 2011, 3:33 pm

Nick is very talented and a toolsy guy across the board. He will be trying to head off Buxton, Gallo, Cecchini, and a few other for the top high school position player selected. The list would add Axelrod if he elects to bypass football.

His name may likely be in discussion come next June.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #8 by Rising O's » October 14th, 2011, 8:54 am

For you bored people out there...Don's top 5 from this link...
http://orioles-nation.com/2011/10/11/ea ... prospects/

1. Lucas Giolito – RHP, Harvard-Westlake HS (Studio City, CA)
Workhorse top of rotation frame, three plus pitch potential, should be fast moving prospect

2. Mark Appel – RHP, Stanford University
Two plus pitches with slider that can play at MLB level, still a great deal of projection

3. Byron Buxton – OF, Appling County HS (Baxley, GA)
True five tool center fielder, top of the order bat with power

4. Nick Williams – OF, Galveston Ball HS (Galveston, TX)
Some of best tools in draft, bat speed and stroke show massive upside

5. Kevin Gausman – RHP, Louisiana State University
Radar gun popping pitcher with three pitches, but needs to improve downhill action

Draft site I like to visit. This is for a mock draft (LOL). I completely dislike the pick at #4 but my opinion is free and worth nothing. And also it will change by April/May.

http://www.mlbbonusbaby.com/2011/10/5/2 ... mock-draft

4. Baltimore Orioles: Deven Marrero, SS, Arizona State

The last SS they took at the top of the draft seems to be doing well, so why not do it again. Machado at 3B, Marrero at SS and Schoop at 2B could be a really solid infield.

Also his top 50... http://www.mlbbonusbaby.com/2011/9/22/2 ... #storyjump

I think this site is excellent for draft information. The site owner is very responsive and does take suggestions.

http://mlbdraftguide.com/
Rising O's
GCL Orioles

PostPost #9 by Jordan Tuwiner » October 17th, 2011, 4:31 pm

While this class doesn't seem as strong as last year's class, I think I'd be fine with any of Don's top five.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #10 by A_K » October 17th, 2011, 4:54 pm

It'd be awesome if for some reason there was a clone of Anthony Rendon and we could take him at #4 this year. Anyone? Eh?
A_K
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 43

PostPost #11 by Rising O's » October 17th, 2011, 6:40 pm

Sadly no Rendon's. I don't even like the college class this year though I'd feel good getting one of those two college pitchers currently in the top 5.
Rising O's
GCL Orioles

PostPost #12 by Matt P » November 10th, 2011, 8:29 pm

What about Victor Roache? #4 too high for him? I don't know much about the draft but I read that he has some serious power.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #13 by Rising O's » November 13th, 2011, 12:06 pm

Bullpen banter has a detailed article on him from August. At this point I'd say no but things change by May.
Rising O's
GCL Orioles

PostPost #14 by birdwatcher55 » December 29th, 2011, 4:08 pm

Just my two cents: we don't need another SS in the system. McCullers could fall to u$. I understand he is head and shoulders above the rest of the talent 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #15 by ofahn » December 30th, 2011, 1:23 pm

birdwatcher55 wrote:Just my two cents: we don't need another SS in the system.

Just remember that players are often drafted with the intention of moving them to another position.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

Next

Return to MLB Draft