Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Possible early 2012 picks

Possible early 2012 picks

PostPost #1 by rjc3 » July 20th, 2011, 11:45 am

The O's are once again one of the worst teams in the majors and it looks like they will have a top 5 selection again next year.

Who are some names to watch that are expected to go in the top 5 next year?
rjc3
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

Re: Possible early 2012 picks

PostPost #2 by docjj » July 20th, 2011, 12:19 pm

Best of the bunch is RHP Lance McCullers. He's a dual threat player- a good defensive shortstop with a great bat, but most scouts prefer him as a pitcher. He's up to 97 MPH with his fastball, with good secondary pitches. His father was a MLB pitcher for 7 yrs.

Also highly regarded are: Stanford RHP Mark Appel, and Texas high schooler Nick Williams, who reminds some of Darryl Strawberry (hopefully without the drug problems and baggage.)
docjj
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 3

PostPost #3 by A_K » July 20th, 2011, 12:45 pm

I was all in favor of taking Dylan Bundy this year, even with Rendon sitting right in front of us. But I think sooner or later, we need to start grabbing some lower risk, college position players with our first round picks. We leave ourselves far too open to injury risk by grabbing a starting pitcher every year.
A_K
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 43

PostPost #4 by Don » July 20th, 2011, 1:49 pm

I do not care how talented Lance is compared to the rest, he is not high on my list at all because he is an arm injury waiting to happen. He reaches those speeds with bad habits. Most people will disagree, but I was against Mark Prior and Steven Starsburg that high and I was wrong on both?

Best HS arm for me at this point is Gio. It is way, way, way too early to amke any predictions and I will not start doing so until all the showcases end in November...
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #5 by rjc3 » July 20th, 2011, 2:47 pm

A_K wrote:I was all in favor of taking Dylan Bundy this year, even with Rendon sitting right in front of us. But I think sooner or later, we need to start grabbing some lower risk, college position players with our first round picks. We leave ourselves far too open to injury risk by grabbing a starting pitcher every year.

I thought we had that in Esposito. Not sure what's going on with the contract discussions.
rjc3
DSL Orioles

PostPost #6 by mjummpy » August 14th, 2011, 4:39 pm

From what Kieth Law(espn scout) says there isn't a strong a draft class as this years and no clear no 1 pick.
mjummpy
DSL Orioles

PostPost #7 by Don » August 14th, 2011, 5:20 pm

Please take Keith Law with a grain of salt. These same talking heads said the 2009 class had no talent. As far as I look, there are a future stars out of the first round alone. I will reiterate that it is way to early to say one way or another. I do not even break down rankings of my area until late October and the first organizational breakdown happens a week or two later.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

PostPost #8 by Jordan Tuwiner » August 14th, 2011, 8:59 pm

Don wrote:Please take Keith Law with a grain of salt. These same talking heads said the 2009 class had no talent. As far as I look, there are a future stars out of the first round alone. I will reiterate that it is way to early to say one way or another. I do not even break down rankings of my area until late October and the first organizational breakdown happens a week or two later.

Would you say #1 pick is between Marrero and Appel?
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #9 by Don » August 14th, 2011, 9:24 pm

Very raw breakdown to this point. Best College Pitcher I have seen is Appel; Best College Fielder: Marrero; Best HS Pitcher Giolito; and best HS fielder is a pure toss up. I like Williams, Seager, and Winker a great deal though.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

PostPost #10 by mjummpy » August 14th, 2011, 9:47 pm

Don wrote:Please take Keith Law with a grain of salt.

That would explain why he didn't last in Toronto.
mjummpy
DSL Orioles

Return to MLB Draft