Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

excuse me? The Rays have 10 of the top 60 picks?

excuse me? The Rays have 10 of the top 60 picks?

PostPost #1 by docjj » May 19th, 2011, 7:23 am

How exactly does this happen? I know they lost Carl Crawford, so that should be good for a pick, but who else did they lose? How does MLB allow this? 10 of the first 60 picks? For a playoff contending team? How about throwing a few picks to the perennial cellar dwellars like Baltimore and Pittsburgh?
docjj
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 3

Re: excuse me? The Rays have 10 of the top 60 picks?

PostPost #2 by docjj » May 19th, 2011, 7:27 am

I'm sorry, Randy Choate? Grant Balfour? These guys are worth top 60 picks? Rafael Soriano?

This is total horsebleep. Who decides these compensation picks? The GM for the Rays?
docjj
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 3

PostPost #3 by DougDE » May 19th, 2011, 2:43 pm

I've thought for a while that a team shouldnt get compensation for losing middle relief. If a reliever doesnt close out say 75% of a teams save oppurtunities then the team shouldnt get anything for him
DougDE
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #4 by Jordan Tuwiner » May 19th, 2011, 7:46 pm

docjj wrote:I'm sorry, Randy Choate? Grant Balfour? These guys are worth top 60 picks? Rafael Soriano?

This is total horsebleep. Who decides these compensation picks? The GM for the Rays?

The system is definitely skewed. I think some changes may be coming soon; 1st round comp. picks may become 3rd rounders.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #5 by Old Sneakers » May 20th, 2011, 10:46 am

Ultimately though, this is why smart teams put more into the draft and try to excel at grooming talent. It's not just the top couple rounds that matter under the current system though. If you lose a Type A Free Agent that was originally drafted in the 30th round. You still end up with compensation.

The Orioles likely wont get anything until what? 2016! That said I would rather see the draft budget get enormous than trying to sign players like Mike Gonzales, Garret Atkins, Kris Benson etc...

The Rays have excelled! Though they've lost players they reap the rewards.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 33

PostPost #6 by A_K » May 20th, 2011, 2:53 pm

It's an imperfect system, but I can't fault the Rays for operating within it to their distinct advantage. Every other team, including the O's, has the same opportunity.
A_K
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 43

PostPost #7 by Don » May 20th, 2011, 3:11 pm

Yes, but even the Rays are not soothsayers as evident by selecting Tim Beckham and Delmon Young. For every David Price, these guys take Wade Townsend (I laugh at both Baltimore and Tampa on that one).

They have a slew of picks, but it does not mean that 2016 will be a stacked team from the 2011 draft. History just proves otherwise.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #8 by A_K » May 20th, 2011, 3:52 pm

History says they've drafted pretty well, if not with a 100 percent rate of success. They also managed to turn Delmon Young into Matt Garza, and just flipped Garza for another haul of prospects. They're doing just fine.
A_K
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 43

PostPost #9 by Don » May 20th, 2011, 5:09 pm

Fine would be bringing home some hardware.....please until that point, they still have yet to win a world series. I give them credit for building the foundation, but I will not agree that they are a well run organization. Well run organizations would have kept Hamilton and nurtured him better. Well run organization would not have a revolving door for player development. I will not heap praise, simply because they have a lot of faults to go with the success.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

PostPost #10 by Old Sneakers » May 20th, 2011, 6:35 pm

I agree the draft will always have it's share of disappointments. No team is perfect. The Orioles have a long history of that all on their own. However, the concept of building the bulk of your team through the draft and to a far lesser extent international signings appeals to me. Free agency is good for filling a spot here and there. The average fan still thinks that signing that big name free agent every year will turn a team completely around. It does not.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 33

PostPost #11 by DougDE » May 21st, 2011, 5:11 am

Don have you read Josh Hamiltons book? It wasnt just the Rays that gave up on him, his own parents had as well. He was no longer a baseball player and just simply a crack addict. Thats by his own admission.
DougDE
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #12 by Rising O's » May 21st, 2011, 12:47 pm

The Rays played the game well but many teams have taken advantage of the system. When you have organizations making handshake deals with players to not accept arbitration it clearly goes against the draft's intent. There are lots of changes I would like to see made, some might have merit, some will be laughed at but whatever, that is what opinions are for.

1. Make signing Type A free agents punitive. As it is now, you can sign multiple players per year and the cost of doing so is less and less so it makes sense to sign more of than one per year. So the change would be for each player you sign, you lose 1st and 2nd round picks for consecutive seasons.

2. All compensation picks shall come at the end of each round. This ensures each round's value based on winning percentage record, not on the luck of a team signing your former player.

3. Reduction in the number of protected picks. I think the number should be in the range of 6 and 8. This ties into #2.

4. Elimination of the supplemental round. Again this ties into #2.

5. Minimum number of years/games played before compensation can be granted. I would say 2 seasons worth of games is sufficient amount of time investment.

6. Type status should be determined by individual positions, general role of the player, not averaged against several positions.

I'm forgetting some things but whatever. :oops:
Rising O's
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #13 by Tenth Inning » May 21st, 2011, 1:22 pm

The system is strange and needs revision, but Tampa has played it perfectly. Credit to them.

And honestly, besides being awful, what has Baltimore done to deserve extra draft picks? A system that incentivizes running organizations poorly is worse than the current one.
Tenth Inning
Senior Editor & Columnist
Orioles Nation Staff
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

PostPost #14 by Tenth Inning » May 21st, 2011, 1:24 pm

Don wrote:Fine would be bringing home some hardware.....please until that point, they still have yet to win a world series. I give them credit for building the foundation, but I will not agree that they are a well run organization. Well run organizations would have kept Hamilton and nurtured him better. Well run organization would not have a revolving door for player development. I will not heap praise, simply because they have a lot of faults to go with the success.

You really don't think Tampa is a well run organization? Until they win the world series they are not doing fine?

No org. is perfect. Tampa has many limitations to overcome that most don't. Still, they have built a system set up to contend now and in the future despite a miniscule budget. That constitutes well run to me.

This was a good read: http://www.amazon.com/Extra-2-Street-St ... 0345517652
Tenth Inning
Senior Editor & Columnist
Orioles Nation Staff
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

PostPost #15 by Don » May 21st, 2011, 1:57 pm

It is not their farm system; it is the top to bottom organizational approach that I do not care for one bit. The revolving door at the top and they wonder why they fail to keep the stands pack. They cannot even keep their superstars. I would never be a fan of that organization simply because soon Longoria is somewhere else, David Price is somewhere else and the list goes on forever.

But I for one never thought Tampa Bay area should have ever been selected as a MLB city. Lived their long enough, business owner in region, they fail to support everything and anything.

While good, I never think they will be great until you see some of their stars stay beyond arbitration. I guess this is the crux of my position. They are better than the Orioles right now, but at least the Orioles will keep and grow from within the organization long term. I just do not see Tampa doing it unless it is on the cheap and I mean dirt cheap.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

Return to MLB Draft