Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Dylan Bundy Scouting Report

Dylan Bundy Scouting Report

PostPost #1 by Jordan Tuwiner » April 23rd, 2011, 3:43 pm

http://orioles-nation.com/?p=9729

By: Don Olsen

Bundy ranks as one of the better preparatory prospects in the 2011 MLB Draft and is the brother of O's prospect Bobby Bundy. He could be an option for the Orioles at #4.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

Re: Dylan Bundy Scouting Report

PostPost #2 by ShowalterPower » April 23rd, 2011, 8:02 pm

I am now a bigger Dylan Bundy fun.

That's quite the impressive arsenal and despite the rather low grade on the change, I've seen it rated highly elsewhere.

What I like best are his mechanics, which I think -- like Don mentioned -- should allow him to stay healthy despite throwing as hard as he does. But, you never know with high schoolers.
ShowalterPower
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

PostPost #3 by Don » April 24th, 2011, 11:49 am

Grades are averaged out based on my thoughts combines with some others that have seen him in person. I saw him in Tampa last season and this plus tapes got me on the radar. He did not pitch, but I watched some bullpen action. I rather see these kids in the pen at full pop before watching them in a field.

This season has been nothing but tapes, but I also do not get paid to scout for friends (at least my choice). I am set to go out to Tulsa to visit family next week for a wedding and maybe I might try to catch a game as my wife and I are spending a couple extra days in the area. If he is pitching against Union, I will be at the stadium seeing live action and will amend the first report.

Thanks for the view.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #4 by Jordan Tuwiner » April 26th, 2011, 1:34 am

Some Dylan Bundy Tweets from yesterday:

Peter Gammons wrote:Nat'l cosschecker I really respect says Owasso, Okla. RHP Dylan Bundy "is the best prospect I've seen all year."

Dan Sanchez wrote:Pretty hard not to jump on the Bundy bandwagon right now. Ceiling's higher than Hultzen/Bradley.

Greg Schaum wrote:U want to be more impressed by Dylan Bundy- read this interview i did with him http://www.pinetarpress.com/?p=5369 #MLBdraft

Greg Schaum wrote:Dylan Bundy's current stats: W/L 8/0, IP 48, H 11, R 4, ER 2, BB 3, K 111, ERA 0.29, Whip 0.31 #MLBdraft

Greg Schaum wrote:Dylan Bundy's stats as a hitter: AB 63, BA .556 Slug 1.175, H 35, HR 10, RBI 38, BB 22, K 10 #MLBdraft

Schaum also noted Bundy is a 3-5 round draft prospect as a hitter.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #5 by Don » April 26th, 2011, 1:18 pm

I see a lot of people are riding him for his pitch counts, but I tend to think the stability of the shoulder between his workouts should ease some concerns. I would like to know if he has incorperated long tossing into his game because I feel it is highly benefical in the long run as a method to build up tolerance to the demands of pitching.

I know Trevor Bauer goes through an exhaustive long tossing method of up to 400 ft and why I am not overly suspect of his 135, 140 pitch counts at the moment. I do not advice to sustain it over the long haul, but pitching once a week makes this a moot issue.

Pitch counts in general are a less of a concern with prep and college guys because the frequency of outings is so sparse that kids have enough time to rest and heal before the next outing. I can clearly see from Bundy that it is 75-80% effort on the hill and I could care less if he threw over 100-125 a game with very clean mechanics.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

PostPost #6 by Jordan Tuwiner » April 26th, 2011, 1:43 pm

Don wrote:I see a lot of people are riding him for his pitch counts, but I tend to think the stability of the shoulder between his workouts should ease some concerns. I would like to know if he has incorperated long tossing into his game because I feel it is highly benefical in the long run as a method to build up tolerance to the demands of pitching.

Yeah, you're talking about Bundy's boxing workouts, correct?
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #7 by Don » April 26th, 2011, 1:44 pm

I stand by my thoughts of a "Cutter" in his arsenal. It tends to break horizontal rather than down/away. In all honesty though, there is such little difference between a cutter/hard slider that even a pitcher may not really have a true understanding of what he is throwing. I saw more snap last year over this season, but this ball is coming off a bit harder at times in the 91-92 range. This tells me a cut fastball and I saw him throw one on the hands of a Broken Arrow player that would have split his timber in two, if the bat was not aluminum.

Very much so about the workouts. I knew he boxed, but never knew to the extent. I watched him work the bag in that youtube video from the report. It is a nice alternative to tubing, which I say never leave yourself into one type of workout. Being a guy who continues to do heavy bag work, it does alot to build resistence in the shoulders, back, etc... in a different style to throwing.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

PostPost #8 by Rising O's » April 26th, 2011, 8:40 pm

More gushing on Bundy at Perfect Game. A good central source of information with links to stories like this can be found at mlbdraftguide.
Rising O's
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #9 by Don » April 30th, 2011, 10:56 am

I attended his game against Union last night. The kid hit 97-99 mph multiple times as I am sitting next to my friend. He had a slight hiccup in the 4th, but I saw a great thing from him. He maintained a cool collective head and continued his warpath. He cruised through the first three innings with ease. This kid has the stuff that should not last to the 4th pick in the draft. I would not be surprised one bit if the Mariners or Diamondbacks take Dylan Bundy before the Orioles even get the chance to select him.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

Return to MLB Draft