Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

My new man-crush- Sonny Gray

My new man-crush- Sonny Gray

PostPost #1 by docjj » March 19th, 2011, 2:57 am

Another 10 K's in his 7 shutout innings tonight. Reminds me of Oswalt. He is giving up some walks, so that's something to keep an eye on. But I'm leaning towards wanting Gray with the pick at this point....
docjj
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 3

Re: My new man-crush- Sonny Gray

PostPost #2 by Jordan Tuwiner » March 19th, 2011, 9:46 am

This is looking more and more likely now that Gerrit Cole is now a lock to go in the top 2. Aren't there some injury concerns with Gray? If I remember correctly he has a small frame and some wonder if he'll be able to handle a starter's workload.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #3 by Don » March 19th, 2011, 11:00 am

I have stated that Sonny is a future major league player, but not worth that high of a selection unless he were a few inches taller and could handle a bit more weight in his rear.

The logic is not sound with Timmy in San Fran putting the squash on small framed guys, but Mike Leake took a huge step backwards and from the sound of it might start to be a future bullpen guy.

Do you want to invest that much into a guy that could eat less than 100 innings a season? I like him, but I rather go with a guy with a tremendous amount of upside on the hill. I had the chance to see Gray upclose at Vanderbilt. It is clean, but it does look like alot of effort to generate that speed. Billy Wagner is a good comp, but you do not spend that in the fourth slot for Billy Wagner's of the world.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #4 by Don » March 19th, 2011, 1:31 pm

Funny that I just looked at the Camden Depot report and crawdaddy echoed my point on Gray that it is clean mechanics, but alot of effort on each throw.

I happened to be in Nashville and caught one of his games to report. I did put a small write up to a buddy of mine whose team is selecting in the first ten slots. I honestly feel that he will still be on the board when they pick.

I would push for Jed Bradley before Sonny Gray. I think Gary will be a major league player, but it would be a complete shock to me if he is a starter for 10-15 seasons. I would still select Gtray over Hultzen, but Danny has found an extra gear and could be a top 10 selection, more like top 15 though....
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #5 by Jordan Tuwiner » March 19th, 2011, 2:18 pm

My mistake. Thought I read somewhere that his delivery was an issue. Hultzen is definitely making a push towards the top 10. He's been impressive.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #6 by allstar1579 » March 21st, 2011, 7:42 pm

I like Gray, just not enough to leave some of the other guys on the board to take him. If it were a more shallow draft I'd say go for it, but with guys like JBJ, Starling, Hultzen, Jungmann and Lindor out there at 4 I don't know that I could pull the trigger on Gray necessarily.
allstar1579
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

Return to MLB Draft