Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

giving up draft picks

giving up draft picks

PostPost #1 by docjj » June 13th, 2014, 4:26 pm

Well, Bud Norris has been much better than I expected. Giving up a pick for him in hindsight seems like it wasn't the worst thing.

I'm still undecided on Jimenez. 4 years seems like an awfully long duration and losing that pick hurt. However signing Nelson Cruz seemed to be a stroke of genius.
docjj
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 3

Re: giving up draft picks

PostPost #2 by Old Sneakers » June 14th, 2014, 3:32 am

The competitive balance pick was still a loss. But Norris as you say has been solid. Losing the first pick for Jiminez was horrendous. In now way was his second half of last year an accurate reflection of what he actually is. If we don't resign Cruz it's a waste as well. One year of good production is not enough to mortgage your future.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 32

PostPost #3 by osforlife » June 14th, 2014, 10:31 am

We'll see how this plays out down the road. It is not a good idea to constantly give up draft picks for free agents. Is giving up three draft picks one year okay?? We'll see. Signing free agents with draft pick compensation is not how I would run my organization.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #4 by ofahn » July 10th, 2014, 5:11 pm

Old Sneakers wrote:If we don't resign Cruz it's a waste as well.

I disagree. We're almost certain to get a supplemental first rounder pick for him which will be only about 15 slots below what we gave up.

The only way we could screw up that decision now would be to sign him to a multi year contract.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #5 by Old Sneakers » July 13th, 2014, 11:28 am

ofahn wrote:I disagree. We're almost certain to get a supplemental first rounder pick for him which will be only about 15 slots below what we gave up.

The only way we could screw up that decision now would be to sign him to a multi year contract.

Don't we have to make a qualifying offer to receive that compensatory selection? How many teams will be lining up to sign him exceeding our own contract offer?

Cruz has performed, he's got the bat you want. However it wasn't worth it. Giving up a 2nd round choice to get him was foolish from the start.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 32

Return to MLB Draft