Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

NOLA Says Kevin Gausman Returning to LSU

NOLA Says Kevin Gausman Returning to LSU

PostPost #1 by Tucker Blair » July 9th, 2012, 7:41 pm

http://www.nola.com/zephyrs/index.ssf/2 ... um=twitter

I personally feel like this is just a negotiating tactic. I see no reason why he wouldn't sign.
Just tough to tell unless the Orioles themselves come out and give us any news.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 43

Re: NOLA Says Kevin Gausman Returning to LSU

PostPost #2 by ofahn » July 9th, 2012, 7:49 pm

I started to have concerns about this about a week ago when it was down to Gausman and the "hard cases".

I don't understand what the problem is. Gausman had to know what the slot amount was and I would bet that Orioles asked him before the draft if he would sign for that.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #3 by Tucker Blair » July 9th, 2012, 7:55 pm

It's generally the same with types of players each year. They majority of the time end up signing. They play games with the media. I am really not too worried honestly. I see no reason why or how he doesn't sign.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

PostPost #4 by legmason » July 9th, 2012, 8:18 pm

I agree Tucker. I think the O's are playing hard ball somewhat so they can save some money on Gausman and get Poche who I think they'll have to pay overslot to get. Gausman is probably coming back with this just to make sure he gets the maximum. In the end I think the O's won't get Poche and Gausman will sign. It's pretty rare that the O's don't get their man in round one. Guess we'll see though.
legmason
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 14

PostPost #5 by Shorebirdfan » July 9th, 2012, 8:19 pm

And his comments. "I have no problem going back to LSU. We will see what happens."
That sounds about as posturing as one can sound.
Shorebirdfan
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 15

PostPost #6 by Tucker Blair » July 9th, 2012, 8:20 pm

legmason wrote:I agree Tucker. I think the O's are playing hard ball somewhat so they can save some money on Gausman and get Poche who I think they'll have to pay overslot to get. Gausman is probably coming back with this just to make sure he gets the maximum. In the end I think the O's won't get Poche and Gausman will sign. It's pretty rare that the O's don't get their man in round one. Guess we'll see though.

Yea I'd be more worried with Poche than Gausman.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

PostPost #7 by Tucker Blair » July 9th, 2012, 8:21 pm

Shorebirdfan wrote:And his comments. "I have no problem going back to LSU. We will see what happens."
That sounds about as posturing as one can sound.

Agreed. Just is silly to forgo this much money for ONE season. Makes no sense.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

PostPost #8 by Don » July 10th, 2012, 7:48 am

I told guys privately that I was shocked this had legs. This was making my gut bust with laughter and thought the comical satire was written by Geoffery Chaucer.

Anyone trying to give this credence, stop, this is the political two step and nothing more...who in their right mind turns down 3.6 million dollars.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #9 by ofahn » July 10th, 2012, 2:02 pm

Don wrote:..who in their right mind turns down 3.6 million dollars.

Considering the risk of injury and performance decline over the next year you would think this decision is a no brainer, but Appel seems to be willing to pass up 3.48M.

When you consider that such lunacy (and Boras) might scare teams in the next draft to the point where Appel slides to, say, 20th then he's looking at about 2M or so MAX. By that point he's a senior with NO leverage except the hollow threat of going to an independent league to pitch for no money on bad fields with sketchy development assistance. Gausman is looking at the same reality.

I wonder if Boras isn't manipulating Appel into a potentially boneheaded decision just to prove that he (Boras) won't be intimidated by the new slotting system. If I were the Pirates I would certainly be getting that message to Appel through someone he knows about this point.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #10 by birdwatcher55 » July 11th, 2012, 7:04 pm

Good riddance..I'll take the #5 pick next year 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #11 by Don » July 11th, 2012, 9:32 pm

Good riddance..I'll take the #5 pick next year

I would not take that approach. You have to remember this is a business and not personal. It is a tough choice to leave something that you truly cherish. SEC baseball is another beast, it is family.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

PostPost #12 by Jordan Tuwiner » July 12th, 2012, 10:09 am

www.lsureveille.com/speculation-swirls- ... 7oZ78_eVgc

Spoke with the LSU student newspaper about Gausman.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #13 by Don » July 12th, 2012, 12:47 pm

Rounding out who is remaining, I have direct first hand source that indicated Colin Poche is not signing with the Orioles and going to Arkansas.

Derick Velazquez is requiring at least 500k to sign with the Orioles and forgo his scholarship to Fresno State. It remains to be seen where the Orioles and Gausman agree to a deal and how closely the organization want to over spend before giving up a draft pick.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

PostPost #14 by ofahn » July 12th, 2012, 12:54 pm

Don wrote:Rounding out who is remaining, I have direct first hand source that indicated Colin Poche is not signing with the Orioles and going to Arkansas.

Derick Velazquez is requiring at least 500k to sign with the Orioles and forgo his scholarship to Fresno State. It remains to be seen where the Orioles and Gausman agree to a deal and how closely the organization want to over spend before giving up a draft pick.

Two questions. Did your source say WHY Poche would rather go back to school than sign AND do you know how the college money payment in the new CBA works?
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #15 by birdwatcher55 » July 12th, 2012, 5:56 pm

Don wrote:
I would not take that approach. You have to remember this is a business and not personal. It is a tough choice to leave something that you truly cherish. SEC baseball is another beast, it is family.

Give him slot money or wish him well in his junior year. Use the money elsewhere to fill needs or save the bucks for next year when we likely will have two top ten picks 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

Next

Return to MLB Draft