Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Rendon Out of the Equation, Who's Next?

Rendon Out of the Equation, Who's Next?

PostPost #1 by ZBall2131 » October 1st, 2010, 8:56 am

So, clearly the Orioles aren't going to win the Anthony Rendon sweepsteaks. Thanks Buck Showalter!

Now we get to turn our attention to other members of one of the deepest drafts in recent memory. This college crop of pitchers is insane. Gerrit Cole, Matt Purke, Matt Barnes, Sonny Gray, Taylor Jungmann. I'd be happy with any of them.

The high-school class is deep too, and one guy I'd love to keep an eye on is Dylan Bundy, the little, more talented bro of our own Bobby Bundy.

And the Orioles should have their pick of any of the top hitters in this draft, like George Springer, who is an athlete unlike any that we have in the system.

Anyone have any preferences on who the O's should take with their top five pick?
ZBall2131
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

Re: Rendon Out of the Equation, Who's Next?

PostPost #2 by Esskay » October 1st, 2010, 9:59 am

1) It's way too early to answer this question. There's a full year of college and high school ball to be played before the draft. Given how much one year's performance can affect a prospect's status, it's silly to start getting tied down to one name or even a list.

2) It's not obvious we won't draft Rendon. He could have a bad year and slip. He could have a TERRIBLE year and slip to the second round or later. His salary demands could be too high for the Pirates/Mariners. There's way too much uncertainty to make broad blanket statements about the draft eight months in advance.
Esskay
DSL Orioles

PostPost #3 by allstar1579 » October 2nd, 2010, 10:59 pm

Agreed. WAY too early for this conversation, but I'll throw this out there, while Rendon gets a LOT of hype around these parts, and a TON of people really like him, the gap between he and some other top guys is tiny and will change a lot.

This isn't an instance like with Strasburg or Harper where it was a no-brainer at the top, this is more like Longoria (his most used comp) where he could be a great hitter, but he's not a once a decade talent and could drop a couple spots.

I personally think the Pirates take either Cole or Purke since they could arrive in the majors about the same time Taillon does for a nasty one-two punch, but they could take AR and slide Pedro over to 1st base.
allstar1579
DSL Orioles

PostPost #4 by Don » October 3rd, 2010, 8:52 am

Rendon pre-injury was the lock for the number one spot, unless Purke or Cole somehow found another gear in thier arm. Rendon has the projectable bat for power and contact and arm to stick at third base. I am fairly certain that Rendon coes back without issue to remain a potent hitter, but will this limit his range to remain at third base.

Tex was a better hitter at Georgia Tech and he went to the Rangers at 5 simply because he was labled as a firstbasemen.

I still think someone else cracks this top three come June 2011. My best guess is Travis Harrison. The guy was just lights out in the area code and AFLAC showcases. He absolutely rocked the cage with a wooden bat in Tampa this year and hit a shot that went 475ft. At 6'2" and 215 lbs., he has drawn comparisions to Mike Schmidt.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #5 by allstar1579 » October 3rd, 2010, 9:30 am

Don wrote:Rendon pre-injury was the lock for the number one spot, unless Purke or Cole somehow found another gear in thier arm. Rendon has the projectable bat for power and contact and arm to stick at third base. I am fairly certain that Rendon coes back without issue to remain a potent hitter, but will this limit his range to remain at third base.

Tex was a better hitter at Georgia Tech and he went to the Rangers at 5 simply because he was labled as a firstbasemen.

I still think someone else cracks this top three come June 2011. My best guess is Travis Harrison. The guy was just lights out in the area code and AFLAC showcases. He absolutely rocked the cage with a wooden bat in Tampa this year and hit a shot that went 475ft. At 6'2" and 215 lbs., he has drawn comparisions to Mike Schmidt.

I wouldn't worry about the injury, people are using it as a smokescreen already. "oh well before the injury we wanted him no. 1 overall, but now we'll have to see how he is" I've had that EXACT injury and minus the 3 months before I could run again(mine even had more ligament damage from what I heard), it didn't affect me at all. The fracture was clean and he didn't tear as much as they thought pre-surgery, so he should already be back to full baseball clearance by now. The only problem to worry about will be planting his foot to throw across the diamond (I played first, but I was RH so I planted with the same ankle he hurt even though I hurt my left) I think he throws RH so he'll plant with his injured foot, I'd allow an extra month for that, but MORE than enough time before the season.
allstar1579
DSL Orioles

PostPost #6 by ZBall2131 » October 4th, 2010, 10:14 pm

I disagree that Rendon isn't the top overall choice. Cole throws right-handed, which isn't terrible, but he can have some real ugly command at times. Those who diss on Purke say he is super scrawny and could open himself up to injury by trying to put on weight.

Rendon may have the injury concern, but he's already shown once he is almost better off after a little work. I know it's still early but he's easily the most complete player available.

Great bat, above-average power, and Gold Glove defense, not to mention he's a heck of a leader.

My money will be on Rendon #1 to the end.
ZBall2131
DSL Orioles

PostPost #7 by allstar1579 » October 4th, 2010, 10:50 pm

ZBall2131 wrote:I disagree that Rendon isn't the top overall choice. Cole throws right-handed, which isn't terrible, but he can have some real ugly command at times. Those who diss on Purke say he is super scrawny and could open himself up to injury by trying to put on weight.

Rendon may have the injury concern, but he's already shown once he is almost better off after a little work. I know it's still early but he's easily the most complete player available.

Great bat, above-average power, and Gold Glove defense, not to mention he's a heck of a leader.

My money will be on Rendon #1 to the end.

Rendon is great but the hype machine has taken it to new heights. No where near Gold Glove defense, but he's ok over there, should be able to stick average to above average. He's got a good arm and should have enough agility over there, but he's slow.

While he's one of the best hitters in the country, he's got some faults which is part of why he's far from a clear cut no. 1. He's got some timing issues, so advanced off-speed stuff is going to give him fits. He's got a hitch in his swing that he uses to help his timing, but if he gets going against a guy with a good FB/offspeed combo he's going to run into problems especially down and away. He's got AMAZING wrists and that's where he makes up for some of his problems, he's got an effortless wrist flick that can hit balls out on it's own, but until he faces some advanced ML pitching he won't be tested in the areas he needs to work on.

Keep in mind that I would absolutely take him no. 1 overall, but that is because I'm an O's fan and we are lacking position prospects like the Sahara lacks grass. There are other values that figure in to if a guy goes no. 1 by the way, and those are going to be the important ones in this case. They are what are the talent level of other players in the draft? Right now all you hear about are the college pitchers, and there are some GREAT ones out there that are easy neck and neck with AR. Add to that there are no HS kids talked about yet because it's too soon. Next Spring when you see some HS kids rise because of physical and mental maturation it will get muddier at the top. You should always take the BPA (best player available) in MLB, but when you have a couple guys that are ranked closely enough that is when you draft for need. PIT needs pitching to catch up to their position guys or they will never be ready at the same time to let them compete. It's like KC, they have Grienke, Butler and Gordon up there now, but until this next coming wave gets there it's not enough.
allstar1579
DSL Orioles

Return to MLB Draft