Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Home Run Derby & All-Star Game

Home Run Derby & All-Star Game

PostPost #1 by osforlife » June 12th, 2013, 9:49 am

I think the style of choosing both of these players is just primitive and a very bad method. For the home run derby, I don't see why each league can't just have their top four homerun hitters represent them. Instead, we have unworthy captains picking unworthy contestants. In the National League, David Wright, who has a whopping eight homeruns, is the captain. On baseball tonight yesterday, one analyst predicted David Wright would pick Giancarlo Stanton, Bryce Harper, and Justin Upton, none of whom, are in the top four in homeruns. Why wouldn't Dominic Brown go? He has more than twice as more than David Wright. In the American League, one analyst had Robinson Cano picking Chris Davis, Mike Trout, and Adam Dunn. I'm not sure why Edwin Encarnacion and/or Miguel Cabrera wouldn't go. The whole system is flawed. Take the four players who have the most homeruns and be done with it. It is only fair that way.

Voting people into the all-star game is just a defective technique too. This game of stars actually means something and we are letting the fan-base choose who gets home field advantage in the world series. First of all, it's a popularity contest. Derek Jeter could hit .180 and still start in the all-star game. Fans pick who they like, not necessarily the best players. Second of all, voting takes time, and hitters could go into slumps over the course of the first half. A player could have a monster April and May, go into a slump by June. By the all-star game, he's hitting .250 and not worthy of an all-star selection, yet he still gets selected. I'm not sure why front office executives, writers, analysts and coaches can't select the best player at each position a week before the all-star game. No voting, just a first-class elimination process to decide who represents their league.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

Re: Home Run Derby & All-Star Game

PostPost #2 by dan72 » June 12th, 2013, 4:06 pm

One vote per person is enough, not sure why they allow so many votes from the same person. Injured players need to be removed or have their votes evenly divided between the finalists.
I agree with your thinking on the derby.
Does anyone remember the old homerun derby programs from the 60's? Im not that old but I do remember watching the replays as a kid in the 80's. Mantle, Mathews, Banks, Killabrew.......they hit some bombs. They were fun to watch.
dan72
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #3 by ofahn » June 12th, 2013, 4:14 pm

osforlife wrote:I think the style of choosing both of these players is just primitive and a very bad method.

For a long time I have thought that the fairest method would be to have the players and coaches pick the pool of players to be on the ballot and allow the fans to vote for THOSE players. I would also allow for write in votes by the fans.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #4 by LA Detective » June 17th, 2013, 4:19 pm

Agreed. Very flawed system.

On another note this might be the most interesting and fun AS game/HR Derby for O's fans in a long long time.
LA Detective
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 14

PostPost #5 by osforlife » June 18th, 2013, 3:26 pm

LA Detective wrote:Agreed. Very flawed system.

On another note this might be the most interesting and fun AS game/HR Derby for O's fans in a long long time.

That is true. I'd love to see Chris Davis mash some bombs in the HR Derby. He deserves to be there too, unlike David Wright's whopping nine home-runs. Orioles players are getting a lot of votes in the all-star selection, too. Baltimore has always been a great baseball city.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

Return to Around the Majors