Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Chris Tillman

Re: Chris Tillman

PostPost #16 by Tucker Blair » June 18th, 2012, 11:59 am

ofahn wrote:
TuckerBlair89 wrote:i still don't know whether he has truly fixed himself

It's apparent that he has made SOME progress but what concerns me is that he still isn't getting into the eight inning with consistency. If he's a MLB starting pitcher then he should be able to do that in AAA.

That's my primary concern.
I want to hear a scout's view on Tillman.
The only time I've heard a scout talk about him they have just said "Who knows about Tillman. He's an enigma to all of us"
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

PostPost #17 by ofahn » June 18th, 2012, 12:08 pm

TuckerBlair89 wrote:The only time I've heard a scout talk about him they have just said "Who knows about Tillman. He's an enigma to all of us"

I've come to accept that Chris Tillman has value to us in just one of two ways. Either as a trade piece for something we need or as a late inning reliever.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #18 by Rising O's » June 18th, 2012, 11:19 pm

The only pitch we know of him working on is the cutter. I never saw him throw one in a game though. If he's throwing one for strikes, then that could be where all the K's and ground ball outs are coming from.
Rising O's
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #19 by Matt P » June 19th, 2012, 1:06 am

Another start by Arrieta where he looks dominant for most of the game but can't stay away from the big inning. Depending on what Hunter does maybe Tillman will be in Baltimore taking one of their spots in the rotation.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #20 by A_K » June 19th, 2012, 1:52 am

Arrieta had a good game today.
A_K
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 43

PostPost #21 by osforlife » June 19th, 2012, 7:20 am

Arrieta probably gets another start. The dude made one mistake. Sure, it cost us four runs, but it was still an overall good performance.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #22 by Matt P » June 19th, 2012, 2:18 pm

osforlife wrote:Arrieta probably gets another start. The dude made one mistake. Sure, it cost us four runs, but it was still an overall good performance.

One mistake? So the three runners that got on before the HR were there on purpose?
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #23 by Tucker Blair » June 19th, 2012, 2:46 pm

Matt P wrote:
osforlife wrote:Arrieta probably gets another start. The dude made one mistake. Sure, it cost us four runs, but it was still an overall good performance.

One mistake? So the three runners that got on before the HR were there on purpose?

He had one bad inning, and pitched a pretty good game up until them. I don't see why you are so on his case. I understand you think he is under-performing this season (as everyone else does too), but he pitched good enough to win in most games last night.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

PostPost #24 by Matt P » June 19th, 2012, 3:13 pm

I'm not saying he had a terrible game but the fact is he gave up 4 runs. I even said he was dominant most of the game but couldn't stay away from the one bad inning. If Hunter goes 7ip and gives u 4 runs tonight you won't see many people say he had a good performance. I just don't get how Arrieta continues to get a pass and actually receives praise for giving up 4 runs in a game.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #25 by Tucker Blair » June 19th, 2012, 3:21 pm

Matt P wrote:I'm not saying he had a terrible game but the fact is he gave up 4 runs. I even said he was dominant most of the game but couldn't stay away from the one bad inning. If Hunter goes 7ip and gives u 4 runs tonight you won't see many people say he had a good performance. I just don't get how Arrieta continues to get a pass and actually receives praise for giving up 4 runs in a game.

I don't see much praise really. I see the same stuff being applied to Arrieta as they did with Hunter in his last 2 starts. I guess it's what way you are looking at it. I actually see more people complaining about Arrieta than Hunter on twitter and other places.

The thing about Hunter is he probably doesn't get entirely much better than what he is.
Arrieta has shown flashes and that is what makes him so maddening.

Tillman is the same way. Nobody really knows what is going to happen inning to inning, start to start.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

PostPost #26 by Matt P » June 19th, 2012, 4:30 pm

A_K wrote:Arrieta had a good game today.

The first two responses after my comment about Tillman were saying Arrieta was good last night.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #27 by A_K » June 19th, 2012, 5:33 pm

Matt P wrote:
A_K wrote:Arrieta had a good game today.

The first two responses after my comment about Tillman were saying Arrieta was good last night.

He pitched to a 4.19 FIP last night. It's not worth canonizing him but it's also not worth criticizing him either.
A_K
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 43

PostPost #28 by Matt P » June 19th, 2012, 8:25 pm

Hunter wasn't very impressive tonight. He started good but struggled in the end. He should have had a quality start if Betemit had any idea what he was doing out on the field. It should be interesting to see what they do.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #29 by Tucker Blair » June 19th, 2012, 8:31 pm

Matt P wrote:Hunter wasn't very impressive tonight. He started good but struggled in the end. He should have had a quality start if Betemit had any idea what he was doing out on the field. It should be interesting to see what they do.

It was very frustrating to watch. I think Hunter's time is probably limited in the rotation. Either the orioles make a trade or Tillman/Britton/Moyer(lol) take his spot.

I have this weird feeling the Orioles are holding Tillman down just in case they want to trade him.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

PostPost #30 by Matt P » June 19th, 2012, 8:35 pm

Britton has been awful statistically in AAA and I read that he still is throwing low 90's and rarely hits 93. Moyer has done alright and Tillman has been pretty solid his last 5 outings (although he had one not so good start but it was pouring all game that day so I don't pay much attention to that outing).

I think the only reason they would give Moyer first chance in Baltimore would be because he was promised they would give him 2 or 3 starts in AAA then decide on what they wanted to do with him.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

PreviousNext

Return to Minor Leagues