Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Gabriel Lino

Gabriel Lino

PostPost #1 by Don » April 24th, 2012, 2:23 pm

Again, Jordan has been out of the country and offline that it hampered his top 50 countdown this winter/spring. These were my thoughts on Lino that were to be listed. I am not quite sure where I ranked him (late teens/early 20's), but based on ceiling his skill set rivals the best in system and best in baseball.

Please let me know if you want any other players and my two cents and I will post them in the forums, when available to do so...

I remember heading out of my Boca Chica home in the summer of 2010. I ended up working with a pitcher who was set to play the Orioles Dominican Summer team that day. I decided to go a bit earlier and catch BP and glad I did that day. Gabriel Lino was a tall and extremely lanky kid when I saw him sitting in right field. He was this wiry kid and looked the part of that future tree trunk type. The kid had a rocket arm and quite quick hands for his youth. My jaw had dropped when I saw him throw a laser to third. It is funny that I asked a friend and rival coach about him "They should give this kid a shot behind the plate, he looks to at least have a 7 arm strength." I watched in BP, he was a smooth swing. There were minor hiccups, but you saw that raw hand speed through the zone and I thought he was one to watch.

I remember telling Jordan that this kid is going to be special.

Based on ceiling, Lino is maybe the 3rd or 4th best player in the system. If he were a draft pick, he would easily be a first round choice in the 2011, even stacked with that impressive list of players.

I have been told that his POP was sub ~1.8 at times, simply unreal if he can clean his footwork and mechanics. He has the chance to be a serious battery mate. I suspect that with given instruction, he should easily stick at catcher as he progresses.

From a hitting standpoint, he has the tools to be a dual threat hitter. He has slight loft in his swing, along with strength that he should have at least a 6 down the line. I see the hands and once that compaction happens, he can be better than a 5.5 contact guy, maybe even 6 down the road. He is still young and there is risk that pitch recognition and quality off-speed can hamper him, but the bat is quick enough that I feel confident he can overcome obstacles to be an effective hitter.

The kid is not a statue, he is athletic and you can see that with instruction he can be a very good all-around player at a very crucial position.

There is really no reason to rush and there are a few good catchers in the system. He may play Low-A ball and start the season on a full season squad. He could use extended spring training and enhance his skills behind the plate in a no pressure situation, start off in Aberdeen sometime this summer.

He may grade in the teens right now, but by this time next season he could be that "third" player in the Orioles system that has all of the national circuit drooling in their top 50 overall prospects. He really has that type of ability in him.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

Re: Gabriel Lino

PostPost #2 by DougDE » April 24th, 2012, 2:35 pm

Do you have a write up on the pitcher, I think his last name is spelled Esquivel?
DougDE
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #3 by Tucker Blair » April 24th, 2012, 2:36 pm

And to your credit, so far he has shown just about everything said.

I am really excited about him. Now he is starting to get some recognition also.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

PostPost #4 by CSPitt17130 » April 24th, 2012, 3:02 pm

From Jason Parks, Baseball Prospectus writer, today on twitter:

The more I ask around, the better the reports I get on #Orioles catching prospect Gabriel Lino. ++ arm and legit pop in bat.

https://twitter.com/#!/ProfessorParks/status/194858113789214721
CSPitt17130
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #5 by OriolesRedskins28 » April 24th, 2012, 3:40 pm

Great post, thanks for that. I would love to see one on Trent Mummey and/or Tyler Townsend.
OriolesRedskins28
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #6 by Rising O's » April 24th, 2012, 7:54 pm

Great picker upper to read about our prospects being top 50 good.
Rising O's
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #7 by Shorebirdfan » April 24th, 2012, 9:23 pm

Great comments as always Don. I remember you and Jordan talking a little about this kid last season. I didn't expect to see him so soon here, and certainly didn't expect him to unseat Winston Sawyer (Sawyer is on the DL so who knows when he returns). Lino has been everything you talked about and more. Cannon for an arm, accurate throws from behind the plate. Makes solid contact consistantly and drives the ball to all fields. Most impressive to me has been his ability to handle his staff. It reminds me of what most impressed me about Machado last season. Manny was the first one to walk in and talk to pitcher who was struggling. Lino controls the tempo on the field in the same manner. I think often those leadership traits are overlooked, even more so in an 18 year old. I couldn't agree more with the need to take the time to invest in this kid. Wieters is in place and the best catcher in baseball. Don't rush Lino.
Shorebirdfan
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 15

PostPost #8 by Matt P » June 1st, 2012, 1:22 am

Any idea what's going on with him recently? After that hot start he has struggled tremendously. Average is all the way down to .213 after tonight.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #9 by Tucker Blair » June 1st, 2012, 10:25 am

Matt P wrote:Any idea what's going on with him recently? After that hot start he has struggled tremendously. Average is all the way down to .213 after tonight.

I think it mostly have to do with him being challenged. Very tough to learn how to catch and hit in such a big jump for a just turned 19yo. Shorebirdsfan has seen him play more than all of us. Think he said some stuff about him in the other thread.

I wouldn't be too worried yet, He still has a half season left to make adjustments. Seems like he is being overmatched on breaking pitchers from what I read.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

PostPost #10 by Tucker Blair » June 21st, 2012, 12:24 pm

Lino started to pick it back up right before the break.
Let's hope he has a big second half.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Return to Minor Leagues