Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Johnny Ruettiger

Johnny Ruettiger

PostPost #1 by Don » April 10th, 2012, 11:08 am

Here were some of my thoughts going into the season on Johnny Ruettiger. He is starting off strong in low A ball showing the balanced attack at the plate. I was being told that he has been very selective and taking advantage of mistakes. It might not be too long before he goes to Frederick to take on an additional test. Plus he is stuck in LF with Davis on the roster, he needs to see some reps in center to maximize his value.

Johnny is a guy that is a throwback style player that gets on base and
determination that makes him a "catalyst" style leadoff hitter. He is
more or less a gap power ceiling type player that needs to maintain a
high contact rate to stay effective. He has a clear grasp of the
strike zone and will spray the ball to all fields, but Johnny could be
a bit more selective at the plate as he matures. The BBCOR bats
hurt him last season and I think he can drive the ball with his hand
speed and swing path that should lead to a solid gap hitter. He is
fast runner, but it does not always come out on the field as it did on
the stop watch. Johnny has very good straight line speed and maybe
working with professional coaches on a daily basis can get this to
improve.

He should be able to stick in centerfield, where his in game speed
plays a bit better. His range and arm can safely handle the
transition as a professional. This is a good thing because you can
live with the production at centerfield.

At best, he maintains the high contact rate and could profile as an
everyday centerfielder. If anything take a step back, the power
production is not there to really profile as an everyday bat, but he
does a great deal of other things well that would make him a useful
addition on a competitive bench.

He should start the season with the Keys or Shorebirds, depending on
the pecking order shaking out above him. Johnny has hit well at every
stage I have seen the kid play. If he finds that groove similar to
the 2010 Cape Cod league, he could be a pleasant surprise from the
2011 draft.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

Re: Johnny Ruettiger

PostPost #2 by Ampontan » April 11th, 2012, 7:32 am

This is interesting. The O's seem to have some centerfield options now. None of them are a sure thing, but he, Davis, and Mummey have potential. Moving Hoes to center at Bowie is most interesting. I read a report of a scout that said he is taking better routes to the ball now than he did as a high school outfielder, and his bat should play better there.

Never understood why Avery was moved along so fast. I don't hold out much hope for him at this point.
Ampontan
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #3 by osforlife » April 11th, 2012, 3:28 pm

Ampontan wrote:Never understood why Avery was moved along so fast.

He should be playing center for the baysox, not the tides. The only reason I could think of why they moved him up to norfolk is because they wanted hoes to play center.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 58

PostPost #4 by Ampontan » April 12th, 2012, 5:02 am

No sooner do I knock Avery than he goes 3-6 with a HR (I think). They'll do it every time.
Ampontan
DSL Orioles

PostPost #5 by ofahn » April 12th, 2012, 7:44 am

Ampontan wrote:No sooner do I knock Avery than he goes 3-6 with a HR (I think). They'll do it every time.

From what I understand Avery allows himself to fall into bad habits, but he takes instruction well and makes the adjustments. That might explain his strong second half last year and his six SMOKING weeks at the AFL in the fall.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #6 by dan72 » April 12th, 2012, 11:17 am

Don't give up on Avery, he has the speed to lead off, just needs to work on plate discipline. needs to see more pitches, take some walks and get on base. A walk is just as good as a single unless of course you have RISP.

Good to see depth in the farm system, damn shame its still 2 years away from the show.
dan72
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #7 by ofahn » April 12th, 2012, 11:44 am

dan72 wrote:Good to see depth in the farm system, damn shame its still 2 years away from the show.

Right now CF might be the deepest position we have in our farm system.

Avery, Hoes, Mummey, Ruettiger, and Glynn are all legitimate ML prospects and have a chance to be a ML player. IMO Avery, Hoes, and Mummey have a legitimate shot at being at least a fourth OF on a good team, Ruettiger's upside is a solid ML regular on a good team and Glynn is the real wild card. That kid has Warp 9 speed and a decent bat. He also has the frame that would allow for another 15 to 20 lbs of muscle without a major adverse impact on his speed. If he becomes a patient gap hitter he could be a star. Of course, he's also the prospect that's the farthest away from being ML ready and a lot of bad things could happen before then.

I fantasize about the day that our farm system has at least two legitimate prospects at every position. SIGH!
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #8 by Shorebirdfan » April 12th, 2012, 1:23 pm

The problem I continue to see in our CF prospects is that they are all the same. Little to no power, smallish type guys. Solid D, nice speed. I think we need ot change up the mix a little bit moving forward. Even guys no longer here that had CF potential (Angle Hodson come to mind) were from the same cut.

Got to see Ruettiger towards the end of last season and was impressed with his handling of both CF and the leadoff spot. Looking forward to seeing he and Davis in the same OF beginning with the home opener tonight.
Shorebirdfan
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 15

PostPost #9 by CSPitt17130 » April 12th, 2012, 3:12 pm

Shorebirdfan wrote:The problem I continue to see in our CF prospects is that they are all the same. Little to no power, smallish type guys. Solid D, nice speed. I think we need ot change up the mix a little bit moving forward. Even guys no longer here that had CF potential (Angle Hodson come to mind) were from the same cut.

Got to see Ruettiger towards the end of last season and was impressed with his handling of both CF and the leadoff spot. Looking forward to seeing he and Davis in the same OF beginning with the home opener tonight.

Value is value. And only one of them can play CF at a time anyway. 4 prospects that are all the same is better than 2 prospects that aren't.
CSPitt17130
DSL Orioles

PostPost #10 by dan72 » April 13th, 2012, 9:14 am

Since Mummey was a college pick I thought he would have progressed sooner. I have heard good things about him, but have yet to see him myself. Any feedback on him?
dan72
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #11 by Ampontan » April 13th, 2012, 9:25 am

Mummey ran into an outfield wall last year and had a serious concussion. He came back a month later and shortly thereafter suffered a serious hamstring pull, which finished his season. In other words, injuries wrecked a full season of development.

If he does well at Frederick, I'd think he'd be a candidate to be moved up quickly.
Ampontan
DSL Orioles

PostPost #12 by Tucker Blair » April 14th, 2012, 9:27 am

Ampontan wrote:Mummey ran into an outfield wall last year and had a serious concussion. He came back a month later and shortly thereafter suffered a serious hamstring pull, which finished his season. In other words, injuries wrecked a full season of development.

If he does well at Frederick, I'd think he'd be a candidate to be moved up quickly.

he Has not started off well as of now.

However:
Thru 8 Games, Johnny Ruettiger is 16th in the Sally league with his .355/.474/.387 line.
He has 5 SB which is tied 5th (4 other).

Not a bad start.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 43

PostPost #13 by ofahn » May 16th, 2012, 7:40 pm

He must have been promoted. He PH for the Keys today.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #14 by Tucker Blair » May 17th, 2012, 7:24 am

ofahn wrote:He must have been promoted. He PH for the Keys today.

yup and went 0-4 in first start.

congrats to him though, He was proving himself at Delmarva.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

PostPost #15 by Tucker Blair » May 18th, 2012, 11:53 am

6-6 last night.

I don't care who it was against, or where. That is impressive
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor