Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

ON Top 50 Prospects 2012 – #42: Matt Taylor

ON Top 50 Prospects 2012 – #42: Matt Taylor

PostPost #1 by Tucker Blair » March 16th, 2012, 9:57 am

http://orioles-nation.com/2012/03/16/to ... tt-taylor/
Matt Taylor was drafted by the Orioles in the 5th round of the 2011 draft out of Middle Georgia College (Cochran, GA). He made his pro debut last season in the GCL, pitching 2 scoreless innings.
He pitched another 10 games with the NYPL Aberdeen IronBirds, posting a 6.88 ERA in 17 innings.

Full Top 50 List
42. Matt Taylor
43. Michael Ohlman
44. Brian Ward
45. Aaron Baker
46. Jesse Beal
47. Cole McCurry
48. Mark Blackmar
49. Wynn Pelzer
50. Sean Gleason
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

Re: ON Top 50 Prospects 2012 – #42: Matt Taylor

PostPost #2 by Tucker Blair » March 16th, 2012, 10:11 am

This is one guy I have never seen pitch, and hopefully get a chance to seem him this year.

It sounds as if he could be a potential bullpen guy, but I question why he was drafted so high for just that.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

PostPost #3 by ofahn » March 16th, 2012, 11:02 am

TuckerBlair89 wrote:This is one guy I have never seen pitch, and hopefully get a chance to seem him this year.

It sounds as if he could be a potential bullpen guy, but I question why he was drafted so high for just that.

In today's game the closer is often one of the three best pitchers on the team. I'm not sure I like that idea but it's a fact.

The idea of using a high draft pick on a late inning reliever is not new to this organization, or baseball. We chose Gregg Olson with the fourth pick of the 1988 draft. We also chose Jay Powell in 1993 and Alvie Shepherd in 1994 as our first picks. You could argue that first pick Beau Hale in 2000 was drafted to be a reliever. In 2009 the Nats used their 1st pick on Drew Storen. He was one of the guys I was hoping we would pick.

Clearly, a dominant starter has more value to a team than a dominant reliever but if that starter isn't there when your choice comes I don't see anything wrong with a first rate reliever.
Last edited by ofahn on March 16th, 2012, 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #4 by Tucker Blair » March 16th, 2012, 12:12 pm

Good points Ofahn, although it's tough to really say who was still available, and who was better since it was only last year.

Another thing I've noticed about Taylor is he has a pretty violent delivery (look-wise). He also does have pretty good tail on his pitches. He kind of reminds me of Jim Johnson, of course with not as much velocity
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

PostPost #5 by Shorebirdfan » March 18th, 2012, 7:59 am

TuckerBlair89 wrote:Good points Ofahn, although it's tough to really say who was still available, and who was better since it was only last year.

Another thing I've noticed about Taylor is he has a pretty violent delivery (look-wise). He also does have pretty good tail on his pitches. He kind of reminds me of Jim Johnson, of course with not as much velocity

Was just watching the video on him and was going to ask about that violent delivery. Almost looks like he is over striding (if that is possible). Hoping Don might address what he would change with Taylor.
Shorebirdfan
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 15

Return to Minor Leagues