Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Ohlman and Cooney

Ohlman and Cooney

PostPost #1 by 2131andBeyond » September 18th, 2010, 1:48 am

Could you give me some info on these 2 guys and their futures? A guy I know who knows tons of baseball said he's read tons on them, so just curious.

Michael Ohlman is a catcher I believe, while Brandon Cooney is a SP.
2131andBeyond
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

Re: Ohlman and Cooney

PostPost #2 by Jordan Tuwiner » September 18th, 2010, 10:00 am

2131andBeyond wrote:Could you give me some info on these 2 guys and their futures? A guy I know who knows tons of baseball said he's read tons on them, so just curious.

Cooney's a reliever, probably a middle reliever going forward, if that. Needs to throw more strikes - http://orioles-nation.com/players/brandon-cooney/

Ohlman was drafted last year and signed for $1,000,000. Has a long way to go on both sides of the ball. I've talked to scouts and coaches that feel he can stick at catcher, but I saw him in spring training and he didn't look like a guy that would stick behind the dish. However, the people I've talked have seen him more recently than me.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

Re: Ohlman and Cooney

PostPost #3 by allstar1579 » September 18th, 2010, 10:03 am

2131andBeyond wrote:Could you give me some info on these 2 guys and their futures? A guy I know who knows tons of baseball said he's read tons on them, so just curious.

Ohlman might be the worst draft pick Jordan has ever made. He was supposed to be good defensively with a little pop, but he has neither hit nor fielded well and I've heard whispers of an attitude too, but I can't confirm that one, just hearsay.

Cooney is no longer a SP he was moved to the pen in 2009 and has found some success there, through AA. I haven't seen him live so I can't tell you much about his stuff, but he's just another of those BP arms I talked about in another thread, probably a mid-reliever type.
allstar1579
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

Return to Minor Leagues